What might be wrong with this laptop?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Xx420smokexX, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Okay so my grandma got a laptop from this store called aarons, it's off it's one year warranty now. She got up this morning and nothing would load, like no desktop or task bar at the bottom. The guy from Aarons came and said it's like windows was completely erased from the computer. She has an anti virus on it so I don't think it's that.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. Perhaps she accidentally formatted it? This seems unlikely since it's not something that someone would normally be able to do accidentally. Anyways, I would first, use an ubuntu live cd or windows live usb to first go in and see if I could access any files that may be remaining on the drive. If it's really important sometimes you can still recover files even if you delete them but that's difficult and may even give you corrupted files. The next thing I would do would simply to reinstall windows.

3. I agree. If there isn't anything super important on it, just do a fresh windows reinstall.

4. or the guy from arrons was probably bullshiting you, i doubt your gma could manage to format the drive on accident. Just burn a windows disc and reinstall.