What Makes A Bong Good?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by KingCantaloupe, Aug 21, 2014.

1. I just bought such a nice bong for $74.99 from this website called thick ass glass. It was packaged really carefully, got to me all in one piece. It's got a honeycomb, ice catcher, 15 in. height and 7mm thickness. And it's got a brand on it. I ask people what they think it would cost in a headshop and they say $200 or more. It always makes me wonder what about different bongs affects the price so much? Are the $4,000 ones THAT much better? What makes a Roor so good and pricey? It seems like mine has everything those have...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I do think that more expensive bongs are higher quality, just like an apple product is more expensive than a Nokia. I have yet to see a $4,000 bong, roors (which I think is probably within the top few brands) range from like $150-$600. Although I do see your point, tough call.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Has the marijuana culture evolved to a better bong contest? I don't give a fk if i smoke it out of a dead mummy's asshole. I just want to get high.

FRIEND: Hey bro you got any weed. can ya get me high?
    ME: Yeah sure! but all I have to smoke out of is an acrylic bong
    FRIEND: ewww acrylic is gross!
    ME: Then fuck you! Have fun watching me get high while you jones a-hole

4. I buy cheap wholesale glass because frankly my local headshop does the same except they charge double, sometimes triple the cost of it would to be to import one from china (and morally I don't give a shit). There really isn't much of a difference when it comes to what you bought and say, a 100$ bong you buy in a store (even if it's brand name, same perc, etc..) I don't consider 'Made in the USA' to carry any real value considering there are wholesale factories here too that produce cheap bongs and such.

When you get up into that 200$+ range there is a difference however. Firstly the glass is of higher quality (high quality boro), then factors like: reputation of the company/or artist, unique percolation designs, and glass thickness. People who dish out thousands of $$$ for a bong probably see the artistic value and not just a use for smoking.

What makes a ROOR so pricy? Again, reputation of the company. It's almost universal that ROOR makes the 'best' bongs on the market, even if it's not entirely true.

No he just wants to know what constitutes the price difference. And it is more than just brand, although brands have reputations attached to them generally. So a brand like RooR which is known for bongs with perfect glass, such as no swirls or air bubbles anywhere. Also glass quality, you use quartz sand and the quality of the sand is very important as well as if you add aluminum or magnesium oxide to strengthen the glass.

6. Yes. I understand that if you wanted to make a bong collection. I thought he just needed to smoke out of something.

7. #7 Lazyboy808, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
    IMO I think high quality glass breaks down into two categories, it's either the scientific pieces which focuses more on the function of the glass or artistic pieces which focuses more on the aesthetics of the glass and the unique traits of the artist. Try search Banjo & Hitman transformers bumble bee glass, that thing is $20k, does it produce magical hits that will keep you high forever? probably not, but the work those two artists put into making that piece makes the price what it is.