What light would you use?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cpeters, Sep 1, 2010.

1. So I'll start by laying out my grow for you to give the context of the situation then ask my question.

I have two grow cabinets, both 3'x3'x7.5'. Chamber #1 is for vegging and cloning/propagation. The second is purely for flowering. I am using an ebb and flow setup with a 35 gallon reservoir. The light i'm using is a 400W HPS.

The vegging chamber i have split into two sections. The bottom is for cloning which holds two seedling trays with height adjustable T5 lights, heating mats and humidity domes.

The top portion of this vegging chamber is where my question lies. I have one mother right now in a 6" diameter pot but plan on getting at least two more in the future. I would like this chamber to house these mother plants in addition all of the seedlings that were just cloned. Only 5 of these clones will eventually be flowered and moved into the flowering chamber.

So basically the rest of the clones will go to other uses but only about 5 will be flowered. Now concerning lights. I would be totally down to get a 400W MH with an air cooled reflector but it seems kind of a waste. Strain dependent, I have been vegging my babies for 2-3 weeks then straight into flowering where i am using mainly a scrog technique.

This is where I don't really see the added benefit of having a 400W MH if the plants are vegging for such a short amount of time. Also, I don't really have $500 to throw down for a new ballast, bulb & reflector. What I have been thinking about is just getting two T5 fixtures, each with 4 2' bulbs. I think one of those would satisfy the recently cloned plants but what i'm concerned about is the mothers not getting enough light.

What might you suggest in a case like this? My budget on lighting is about $200-$300 and i'm one hell of a diy'r.

Thanks