What kind of maintenance do you put into your ride?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by whos_gotherb311, Oct 14, 2010.

1. New tires? A/C work? Transmission? Were talking all of it here. And Im not referring to mods, just work to keep it rolling.

Also, post what kind of vehicle you have and how long you have had it for.

Im currently on a 1996 Toyota Tacoma. Ive been driving it for 2 years but its been in my family for like 6 or so. In those 6 years its required probably about $2500-3000 worth of repairs between the miles of 50-95k.

Essenitally I am trying to get a gauge on how much the average stoner spends on maintenance on their ride, again no mods are necassary for posting.

Also, do you follow the drivers manual for scheduled maintenance checks?

2. i change the oil/filter every 2k miles, air filter every 10k or so, fuel filters once a year.

i usually replace the tires before they get too worn but the e30 has BALD tires on the rear end right now.

3. #3 wappaap, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
    4 cyl 2007 ford fusion. owned it since it was new in 2006. Stick shift.

Change oil every 4k miles. synthetic oil in the winter, synthetic blend in the summer. Changed tires at 50k miles a few months ago. Got a K & N filter at 40k miles and I don't have to clean that till I have 90k miles on my car.

Nothing has ever broken. haven't even had to tighten the clutch yet. truly amazing car.

4. Changing oil every 2k miles, lol. You can go almost 10k on most vehicles.

What year E30 you got, friend of mine just picked up a '93 convertible, clean as hell.

-Robb

PS My car needs daily maintenance just to stay on the road
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. '86 super eta.

and yeah, i know i could wait on changing my oil but it gives me something to do under the hood.

6. I own a 88 subaru RX with a swap and stuff so it takes up sometime to keep it on the road. Ive had to replace the front axles, alternator, power steering line and now Im saving up for a new front diff.(yay).

I do an oil change every 5k miles, new thermostat every season change, and a quart of transmission fluid in the front diff every week. Aside from that I check the tire pressure, check the throttle positioning, how tight the belts are, and all of my other fluids every other week.

Ugh these next two weeks wont be fun financially. Gotta get new brakes and figure out some wiring issues before this winter.

7. I drive a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. Got it when it had ~110k miles, currently has 135k, though it looks like it has less than half of that. Used to be my uncle's car and he did a pretty good job maintaining it. Had a tune-up just before I bought it.

It was due for a few things when I got it. It used to have some harder obscure tires which didn't ride smooth and were pretty bald (he put them on when he got them 7 years before and never replaced them since), I got some all-weather radials (necessary in the snow we get around here). Needed some front brake ceramic pads & rotor check, single bushing replacement, coolant flush, steering shaft replacement and a new thermostat. Get the oil changed every 3k. Spent 3000 when I got it almost two years ago and total maintenance so far has been just under 1000, half of that on the brakes and tires.

8. I do everything possible that i can do myself. Saves a good amount of money.

9. I'm a mechanic so I do all my own maintenance... I have a 1998 chev lumina a 95 chev lowrider truck and a 2005 kawasaki ninja zx12R

to the car and the truck Ive i done everything to both like oil changes, replace tie rods, ball joints, tires, spark plugs painted the truck welded up a ladder rack out commercial plumbing pipes, intake gaskets, replaced windows, replaced body panels, hoods engine swaps, clutch replacements/repairs probably everything you can name....

but my bike on the other hand... I havent had to replace much on it because its such a reliable machine just oil changes, and tires. (which both are crazy expensive)
    but over this winter I plan on rebuilding the head with new springs and valves, maybe bore out the cylinders with high compression pistons, customize a new fuel map and rebuild one of my soleniods for the nitrous system... and fresh new plastics just cuz I want some fresh shiny ones...

I just want everyone to know it was incredibly hard to write this post without saying any mods I've done or am gonna do lol

10. ^ you done the cv joints on your lumina yet? i helped with my mother's '99 and wasn't that a pain in the balls.

11. a zx12? nice! i rode my friends zx14 and basically shit my pants.

i have a few bikes myself; a bored out ducati monster 620/750 (which has stupid-expensive valve adjustments, and frankly isnt all that great of a bike), a KTM Duke 620 which just had its rear shock re-worked, and my newest babe, a zr-750 (essentially a naked ninja) with

-bored out heads/ accompanying cams
    -a small drive sprocket with plenty of teeth
    -a larger rear sprocket, again with teef
    -a full yoshi system
    -custom crank case cover:D

but yeah, basically just oil and tires here!

12. I do anything and everything to my cars, unless of course I don't have time or don't really care :p

13. I have replaced a CV shaft in the lumina I thought it was quite easy if you have the right tools like impact wrench, pickle fork, rubber dead blow mallet, and a big flat end pry bar

nice!! personally I only like the ducati 998 and 1098 but the seating arrangement is horrible on those..

but the ZR750 is a definite upgrade from the lil monster.. so I take it you're a fan of the V-twin engine then?

14. 2008 scion tC

-short ram intake(increased performance and mpg, also never need a new filter)
    -fully synthetic engine oil, oil change every 8k miles or so
    -wash once a month or so w/ wax job
    -vacuum/wipe down interior, usually follows after car wash
    -all season 225 performance tires all around(good for the seasons around here)
    -rainX on all my windows
    -toyotas performance brake pads

15. we didn't have the fork.