What kind of light should I use?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SourDiesel42011, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Been doing some research and I think im using a weak light, its a soft white 13W 120V 60Hz 210mA 2700K, dont know which one to use since im a beginner. So type and price would be good only have 2 plants so dont want anything to expensive

2. #2 GoldGrower, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    A 13w CFL wouldn't grow anything over 5 days old.

If you want to use CFLs you are better off using wattages of 20w or over. 6400k (cool blue) are generally used for vegging as it lowers stretch a little bit compared to 2700k. Those are usually used for flowering because stretching is less of a factor and red light packs more energy than blue

How much area are you lighting up? 

This might help 

[​IMG]

3. thanks! But would be the price range cuz Im prob gonna go tommorow to get some better its 1x1 2 inches right now

This is so wrong and yet so right, that I think my head will actually twist off, lol

5. Can you also clarify which light to use

6. Sorry, I'll explain what I mean. I was actually making a kind of joke.

• Blue light has a shorter wavelength than red light, and so it has a higher energy than red light.
    • 'Blue' spectrum bulbs produce fewer lumens per watt than 'red' spectrum bulbs.
    • The plant responds to both red and blue light. During the flowering phase, the amount of red light has a proportional increase on the dry yield (although not well proven because they also have higher lumen output than the equivalent 'blue' bulbs)
    So the quote I made is fundamentally incorrect from a physics point of view, however it is correct from the point of view of the amount of lumens generated per watt and (possibly) yield weight.

Haha.  :smoking:

7. Lol sorry the question wasnt meant for you, but I now have a deeper understanding of blue and red lights

8. #8 jeuwan, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    I need help determining how many cfl bulbs to use for my grow space... Help?

9. In that case, I'll clarify the other thing too.

Most household bulbs rated as "100w equivalent" are 25w-ish actual watts.  If you have a 13w bulb that must be like "60w equivalent" or similar.  More power used = more light created, and the more space you have to cover with that light the more light you need to cover it.

By that nice chart GG posted, you want at least 60w of bulbs.  That's 5 like you have now, or maybe 3 of some brighter ones you get at the store.  As your plants get taller they need more power, and if you have a bigger space to cover they need more power.  If you have roughly 2'-3' plants and slightly larger than 1'x1' area you will need 100-200w of CFLs, or to put it another way 4-8 new bulbs.  If you get much larger than that with your grow, it's time to scale up to the baby big lamps. (although LEDs are not included)

If you are on a budget then just get the "warm white" 2700k bulbs.  You get more bang for your buck, as discussed above.  If they do have the 6500k "cool white" bulbs available and you're on a budget, one or two of those in the mix will even up your spectrum throughout the entire grow. Using two sets of bulbs, one for each stage, isn't that big a deal. Many people (myself included) just grow with HPS and thats 'red', using 'blue' MH lamps is a way to optimise a grow if you're into that but it's not necessary at all. 

10. I was only able to get 20W, are there lamps that have multiple sockets or is that separate but should I get a 100W or 60W Im only trying to use one bulb I know its not recommended but im on a tight budget so its kinda hard

11. also which plant should I keep so I can have maximum light for it

Attached Files:

12. Pictures!

Do those cups have any drainage? I wouldn't water them now until I was repotting them.  The one on the left looks better right now but it is early days, I would hold on to them both a while longer yet

13. yea they both have drainage, I sprinkle little water on them every once an a while but how long do you think another 2 weeks?

14. The very low light is going to make growth slow. First they've got to stay alive for 2 weeks. I don't think you need to sprinkle them for a while, just wait and see a bit.

15. oh I just took them out for a bit to take the picture, ill have a better picture tommorow of the actual box, but im hoping the 20W is gonna be good for now while I get a better one

20w bulbs work fine, how much do these cost where you are? They cost not much more than a loaf of bread here. What kind of budget do you have? 

Certainly an over simplified statement but I feel it has the bit thats needed the most for a new grower lol 

A minimum of 50watts per square foot of area. The more light the better, 100w per square foot is a good figure

18. right now I dont got a job, quit my minimum wage job an looking for a facorty or better paying, so im trying to stretch my money till then without having to pull from my savings

19. So I would be using around 3-4 23w bulbs to achieve the 100w per sq ft?

That would entirely depend on the size of the area you are lighting up