what ive been up to

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by skittles, Jul 24, 2008.

1. So ive always had an interest in and for the past couple years ide been seriously considering picking it up. So a few months ago, I finally got a basic home studio up and started taking classes.. all i gotta say is its fucking awesome. From the flame the proscesses I love it all. So far, ive been making smaller things, marbles pendants.. things thatll survive without a kiln as i havent set mine up yet. So not too many pipes as of now

So anyway.. heres some of my newer stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sweet ive always ponder about getting into that myself, how hard is it?

3. Those are pretty nifty. I really like the one with the small green orbs in it. I always thought blacksmithing would be pretty fun, with glassblowing taking a close second.

4. takes alot of practice and patience and its not exactly cheap to start but thats about it.

Blacksmithings pretty cool too.. I got to play around with it a little where i took the glass classes.. My dorm was right next to the forge and thats where the party was at every night.. blacksmiths love beer..

diddnt make anything presentable there tho.. just a kinda half assed crowbar thing

5. Nice work. I'm saving up to take lessons at a local shop.
    How much does a good torch for a beginner run?

6. I bought a new GTT cheetah for $550. I wanted to start with quality and after reading you could do pretty much anything with the cheetah that you could with a redmax, i was sold. I know im gonna upgrade in the next year or two but its an awesome torch for now
    I also have a national welding torch for fine detail that I picked up at a garrage sale..

Oxygen and glass are the main expenses tho.. Ive spent probably close to $1000 on those two so far

7. hmmm thats kinda a lot of money, exspecially for somebody that doesnt have any, is it a common thing for colleges to have glass blowing glasses, or would you have to find a specialized school, cause im going to UW-Milwaukee in the fall and itd be sweet as hell if i could learn to blow glass there

8. very nice work skittles. I think I like beads 1 and 3 the best and of course the squid shows promise. I don't know if you've ever been to Washington state, but there are some great glass artists and studios up here, definitely in Seattle and Tacoma there are some galleries you've got to check out if that's you thing.

There's a glass blowing and neon shop on campus, right next to my print making studio in fact, that I've always wanted to check out but I'm just too busy to learn yet another medium. Funny thing is that when I was young, my mom had wanted me to get into glass blowing but I resisted it as it was long before I started smoking. Now I wish I had taken her up on it.