What is Your RH After Drying?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by 918AutoGrower, Feb 3, 2019.

1. After you guys dry for how ever many days you dry for, what is the first RH reading from your mason jars (or whatever you finish drying in)? After you jar your buds and they’ve been in there for a few hours and you get that first RH reading....what are you guys getting?

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

2. I feel like if I wait for the branches to snap, my weed will be too dry.

3. I dry until the stem snaps. There is a lot of moisture still locked in the plant. Moreso, the enzymes are still busy at work after the plant is dead, as THCA synthase is shuttled into the extracellular cavity; its not a cellular event.

4. So what is your RH at when you finally put them in jars?

Drying has been the hardest part for me to learn. I almost always take it down too soon and my weed loses its terpenes and smells like hay. The last 2 plants I chopped came out really well, and they dried much longer than previous crops. I just have this fear that I’m going to dry too long and it’s going to be super dry and worthless. It’s a back and forth battle I have with every crop. I just want to get my drying and curing dialed in like I have everything else dialed in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've never checked. I've always just winged it over the years. I do know that the stem snaps. If it doesn't, its not ready (for me).

Also, few plants ago, it was soo moist I placed the dehumid @40% and stuck it in the room; don't do that. Caused me serious problems and sucked up some terps probably. I stopped it in the morning when I saw what had happened.

So I am back to hang drying them in a large space where the humidity is ~40-50% and ~18-20C.
    Old hippies taught me to dry on the branch as you get better smelling product.
    I usually don't bother trimming anything until its completely dry. Sometimes I take off the spoilers at harvest, but I don't usually.

Then burp/cure. That's an important part of the process. Still have enzymatic processes occurring, and the humidity equilibrates in the sealed chamber, releasing the moisture that is otherwise locked in. Also, the smell will change when its ready. The hay smell is because you are not curing long enough. There's even some ammonia that dissipates during curing. although I'm not sure if that's true.

I have also read into tobacco curing. There's textbooks on that! And I am a long way to mastering that, but its still interesting to compare some of the techniques. Much more advanced than traditional cannabis methods.

6. I’ll dry for 4-6 days till bud feels dry
    Put in jar RH 61-67 RH then thru burping manipulation until I reach 61-62%RH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Thanks bro. That’s what I needed.

• Like Like x 1