What is Your Political Bent?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mosu, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Left-Libertarian

2. Most of this stuff kind of depends on some outside perspective and is subjective. E.g. Although I am a minarchist many statist would classify me as an anarchist.

3. I believe in the NAP, all of my political stances can be deduced from this principle.

Non-aggression principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. ^ I like that, except I don't really like the idea of ownership.

5. So you'd be fine with me crashing on the couch that's in the house you're currently living in?

How about the bed you currently sleep in? Since you don't like the idea of ownership and all I think we'll get a long fine.

PS.

I'm a bed wetter.

6. You dont like the idea of owning yourself?

Well I now claim ownership over you. Come over and do chores around my house.

7. Situationalist here but for the most part the less the govt. obligates us to do the better.

8. Nah guys the collective owns my body. The collective takes a vote before I take a shit I really hope we get enough ayes soon.

9. Can I rent him when you are done? I got wicked chores that need doin at my house. Hahaha.

10. Don't act like a 2nd grader and maybe we can have a real discussion, we will see how well you behave...

There are 7 empty houses for every homeless individual in America, man woman and child. Millions of working cell phones are literally thrown into the dumpster and shipped across sea. Thousands and thousands of cars sit idol all day long with nobody to drive them. Land goes completely unused if it can't be sold. Native people lose their homes and become impoverish all over the globe because governments allow land to be owned, bought, and sold over the rights of the people on the land.

If we are going to own something, we should be in charge of it's safe keeping and well being. Not what profit and gain we can get from it. Sure have a house, but why does every person in America need a car when every person in America doesn't use one? Why do we all each need a bike? Why do we all need a big fancy camera or the newest TV?

Why can't we start designing things that are easily updated, instead of throwing out obsolete technology causing pollution and being wasteful of the precious resources used to create them, just to buy the new technology that is already out of date by the time you get it in your house, but is also designed to fall apart by a certain time. We have the resources enough for everyone, the technology for clean energies and a completely new system of agriculture and medicine for the whole world.

You can have your home, your bed, your TV, why would it be bad share the car, when you don't need it you don't have a car, but when you need it it's there. Or walk across the street and grab a bike, return it when you're done. Why do we all need bikes, why do we need to own land and own a house when there is more than plenty of houses, plenty of land, and plenty of different resources to build new homes. Why do we need to own a boat, when we could just go to the beach and use one for the day?

We are so wasteful because of ownership. Always needing the newest thing. Always needing to replace something or get something new. And most of the stuff we don't even use daily. We've got technology and the know how to do it, and it would end the suffering. We just don't do it because we want to own everything, that's why we think money buys happiness...

I just see ownership really as a terrible thing, a banana goes rotten and someone starves because that person didn't have a piece of paper to get that banana and now it's going to be wasted. When we could just grow fucking food everywhere, look at all our lawns, what a waste, because we own the land that means we own the food on it. Plant more food and less bushes, make an abundance of food for people so you couldn't pay them to eat an orange. It's a very easy task when you take a look at all of our wasted space on lawns, and even rooftops. 80% of NYC's food supply could be grown on it's rooftops, and they still have a good amount of land to use as well.

It's just not logical in my mind. I mean having your personal area, but let there be enough so everyone can have their home, their bed, their couch, you know. But the things we don't use daily but still want to own, I don't understand why those can't be made available when we want them to, instead of making millions and millions and replacing them every year with something new, creating waste, pollution, and inefficiency. All the ability is there, we just don't put it into place.

11. You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Either you think people should be able to own things or you don't. It extends to self ownship as well.

12. I believe everyone can have access to the things they need and want without having to buy and own them.

13. #13 Mairuzu, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    What will entice people to make those things if they're not sustaining themselves with profit?

What will make them go out and want to work on creating things?

Edit: If things were simply for the taking then I would wake up and just grab what I need to eat and live off that and enjoy the rest of my day because life is too short to bother with all that mess if someone is just going to take it.

Capitalism and private ownership uses greed to everyones advantage.

14. Who decides who gets what?

15. What do you mean by that? Everyone can have what they need, if demand goes up you can increase supply easily if you create the cars, houses, boats, whatever it is to be easily crafted and produced. Which is something we can do right now with our technologies.

We already have a system that tells computers what places are in more demand than others. Barcodes. The more a product is scanned in a period of time, the more they supply the product to that area because it's becoming a higher demanded item. So the ability to find out what people want in higher or lower demand and the ability to create and recycle things easily would make it very possible that everyone could have what they needed when they needed it.

16. #16 xpixiex, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    What you've described to me isn't ownership *in my opinion.* What I think you're describing is greed. I'd agree with what you said, I think people and companies should strive for electronics that aren't easily outdated a year later.

How would sharing a bicycle work? I guess one per family, but say we all commute to work or school every morning on said bike. It wouldn't work.

It's that we live in a greedy, throwaway culture. And the only way I see to combat that is to recycle, commute to work in some better way and use products that are better for the environment. And sometimes it's tough to do so because walmart doesn't carry Dr. Bronners that I'm aware of... That and it's $15 compared to $2 for shitty soap.

But bikes, vehicles, clothing, vehicles... literally every single thing seems to be updated each and every year. And that bothers me. I don't feel like it needs to be this way.

How would your system work? I feel like people as a whole aren't ready to adopt something like what you're suggesting.

TLDR;
    Ownership isn't bad, it's greed and jealousy that is most likely fueling our throwaway culture. I'm not sure how a system without ownership could exist.

17. Well you note the high unemployment, also poverty, and the use of technology to replace so many jobs (something being suppressed to keep us in a society of human work, something we've created). We will HAVE to embrace this. We won't have a choice, all of us will be unemployed eventually, our dollar will be worth nothing, we would have to starve or adapt to change.

it's just if people push for the change before it inevitably happens.

What would I do in a world that everything was made available and I didn't have to really work? I would travel the world and scuba dive, I would enjoy the planet. I know my husband would love to work on curing viruses and disease, he's always been very passionate about it. There is no limit to the human ability and drive when you give them tasks they are wanting and driven to do. When taken from a young age children are so inquisitive, everyone knows what they wanted to be when they grew up, I wanted to be an astronaut. If we embrace technology appropriately instead of destructively as we have been, then anyone who wanted to go to space could go.

Humans aren't dumb stupid animals like we are lead to believe, we are so brilliant, so wonderful. People who can live the life they've always wanted stop caring about petty things, children stop growing into a destructive social environment and can really pursue and engage in human advancing things. People who love to teach can teach, teachers are treated like shit and most of them put up with it because they really love to teach, that's a drive that won't go away. Nurturing children is a natural drive for many humans.

Like I said, we can push for change, or it can be forced on us. One is good, the other is bad, but we can't keep this shit up for long.

18. What you describe is literally impossible SniperKitty. If you abolished private property no one's needs and wants would be provided for. You wouldn't be taking any vacations and you wouldn't be scuba diving. You would be working very hard in order to hopefully provide enough food to live on, as would everyone else. That is just reality. Without free enterprise, private ownership, and the capitalist price system no luxuries would be possible. Only subsistence living would be possible, and only for a much smaller population. A great many would die of starvation until we got to a level that's possible to sustain without capitalism.

19. Well you can read my below post and see how it could work. We have technology to literally create things out of almost nothing. 3D printer, it can print houses and anything you ask it to now that it's advanced it's technology. I mean something as simple as that, as technology we all know advances very rapidly, could be made faster, cheaper, eventually creating abundance so that everyone could have their bike if everyone in that community used bikes. Some people need to travel longer distances, so they wouldn't use a bike, they would use a car. We have drones, we no longer need pilots unless people feel they want to learn how to fly. They have easily collapsible and movable homes so that you can move anywhere you wish.

It's about using the technology we already have, in a more productive way. Why should we be homeless when there are more than enough homes for everyone? Why should we starve when we waste 165 billion dollars of food every year and the cost to feed the world is 6 billion. And that's if you DON'T help them create a supportive agriculture system. We already produce enough, false scarcity.

If you are provided for, with everything you could want, why would you want what someone else has? If you want what they have, then you can just get it. It removes greed.

The world has enough for every man's need, not every man's greed.

20. You underestimate the level of technology we have today. 80% of our jobs could be literally wiped off the map, they are of no use to human survival or happiness. The other jobs, like medical (technology is being suppressed to maintain jobs), teaching (a natural drive humans have doesn't need to be replaced), agriculture (another suppressed technology for human work), food distribution (another suppressed technology and ancient technology for human work).

We can literally stop the need for most of the jobs we have. Sure it's a transition phase, but soon we won't have a choice but to change. Let's just hope we have to adapt and change to something better.

Like I said we already have the technologies to do all of this, sure everyone will have to stop wanting to be on top and better, but that's the price you pay to survive as a species on the planet I guess...