What is wrong with my little seedlings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sinescent, May 2, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 days old
    (4) 48 Inch T11 Flourescent lights 5000 Kelvin, brand new tubes about 2-3 inches away, with 20/4 On/Off
    Soil mix is about 50/50 Perlite & SPM with a tad bit of compost
    Watered daily to keep soil moist

2. 13 days? could of something slowed it down? Heat or maybe the compost is hotter than you expected. I'd slack off on watering until its dry. I'm new at growing, so these are the things I would do. Put a fan on it that may cool it down.

3. It's not too hot. Actually, my temps were down in the 50-60 range for the first weeks or so because my basement was cold. I was afraid putting a space heater on them would dry the soil out too much, but I've had one on for past week with temps mostly in 65-75 range. I'v had a fan on them pretty much the whole time.

4. You could try a soil kit to see where your soil stands on nutrition. Any number of things can slow them down. It is possible you are overwatering them.

5. #5 HarveyHarvester, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    I'm no guru but I'd say the cold temps slowed things down.
    I usually run seedlings around 73F since it helps prevent stretching and a light breeze from a fan helps strengthen the stems. Once out of the seedling stage, I raise temps to around 77F. (warmer temps = faster growth)
    I use space heaters all the time, just don't put it too close to the plants.

*edit: I don't think we ever want temps below 60F during any phase of the grow.

6. #6 HarveyHarvester, May 2, 2018
    Don't water until they have dried out real good... they need wet/dry cycles. (and high humidity for seedlings and vegetative growth, 60-70%)

• Like Like x 1
  7. So combination of low temps and over watering....great.
    Maybe I should just dump them and start over.

8. #8 HarveyHarvester, May 2, 2018
    No, don't kill 'em, they look fine.
    We want to keep them moist like that until they sprout and begin developing a root system but once they sprout and roots develop, let 'em dry out between waterings.

Are those autoflowers?

• Like Like x 1
  9. They are all photo seeds.
    I'm starting more seeds now but I will do best I can with these.

Now I noticed one of them has yellowing at tip of leaf. 13 days is too soon for it to be a nutrient deficiency right? So what else could be causing it? Over watering? A bit too close to the flouro light?

[​IMG]

10. Are you spraying water on them?
    If you are don't do that. Water them every 3 or 4 days with a little bit of water and no nutrients. You shouldn't have to water them daily.

If you do wanna water daily then it should be a miniscule amount.

Like the other guys have said they look OK but it's good you noticed they were not healthy and not on track.

I users and soil is harder than grow in as I have grown in both coco shavings and soil and it was loads easier in the coco.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Yes, I have been spraying the leaves also. My train of thought is that the extra weight from the water would help strengthen the stem. I guess that's what I get for thinking haha.

12. I had a cold spell for about 2 weeks added about 3 weeks to my veg time

13. #13 HarveyHarvester, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    yes, over-watering is likely the cause of the yellowing. How often you water just depends on how long it takes to dry out, just pick up the cups and you should be able to tell by the weight when its dry and the soil often shrinks away from the edges.

you mentioned starting more... remember, they get big and each will require a lot of light and space.

14. Don't spray scatter the bit of water around the outside of the pot. Like I said every 3 or 4 days or use less

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. I water with a spray bottle when they are in the cups in order to thoroughly saturate the soil without a lot of runoff and it's hard not to get it on the leaves... I believe it's ok to spray, just not everyday.
    Just try not to get nutrient water on the leaves later on when feeding starts, lose the sprayer then.