What is this thing called "life?"

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by JamesLee52, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Why this body?
    Why this planet?
    Why this solar system?
    Where was I before I was born?
    Where do I go when I die? How could anyone possibly claim to know?
    If something can't come from nothing, how did the big bang even happen?
    How does consciousness just start?
    What is a feeling?
    How can an energy source like consciousness die?
    How much does my experience differ from yours?
    How insane is it that we actually control something like the human body?
    Time doesn't even exist, so what the freaking fire truck!? :rolleyes:

2. Isn't it beautiful?

3. Time exists

4. Definitely. :hello: I just wish I knew more.

5. When does it start and when does it stop?

6. It's a continuum. Starts and stops are only points. There never was a real start or end...

• Like Like x 1
  7. [ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvaxamJyTro"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvaxamJyTro[/ame]

8. Watch Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole episode "Is the Universe Alive?"

Great stuff!

9. Holy shit. You just blew my fuckin' mind!

10. [quote name='"jellybean55"']Time exists[/quote]

I'm afraid that's where your wrong ... Time is a man made thing. Just think about it.. There is no past or future because when can you say you have ever existed In the past or future? You haven't .. Even though you can look back and remember an event , doesn't mean the past exists because when that moment happened it was the present. In 5 years you will still only be existing in the present moment . It's the only moment we CAN exist in ... In the NOW. So the reality is that everything is happening at once . As mind boggling as that seems...

11. Well nothing is a from of something so something can come from nothing because that is something.

12. Nothing is the absence of anything. It is not a different form of something.

13. Just no... Time will exist even when humanity doesn't. Time is beyond anyone and anything. It's hard for our monkey brains to understand but time is a constant.

14. 'Time' as humans utilize it is a measuring tool. What it measures is the change that is occurring in the universe.

You're both right with your main points.

15. Time is irrelevant. Just the way our minds order things. Everything will and only happen now

16. Nooo, time is a fabric of space, interlocking with matter, held down by gravity.

17. Our minds invent time because we can remember the past - therefore we remember that something actually happened before now, and something will happen after now

18. No maan, time is a fabric of space. Not the 1am time. But time certainly does exist.

19. Time is time. It exists as much as I and I do.
    But only because it is apart of our reality.

The definition of time is:
    If that's so, then of course time would have to exist because progress is real and never ends. Obviously things will continue. The sun will continue to shine, progressing towards the end of its life. Same for all the other stars in the sky. Probably long past our race.

So time is just measurement of change with chronological numbers to track the order of change, with it all being regarded as a whole.

But don't you see? That is the beauty in life. Change. Who knows whats next. And who cares? It's all part of the whole, just like I and I. We are a part of this constant change and must surrender ourselves to that. Once we do, time is irrelevant.

So time exists because it's just measuring change. But is the time relevant? Or the change itself?
    It is 8:56AM right now on February 9th, 2013. Should I care? Or is it the moments that make this time that I should be concerned with?

20. Oh yeah, that's right. Isn't that the 4th D? Still so many other questions that don't have answers. Maybe everything we need to know is right in front of us though, and its just not "time" to realize it yet. Maybe not though :smoking:I just don't understand how one moment we didn't exist, and now we do, and soon we won't :rolleyes:
    Seriously, like even 100 years isn't anything on the universal scale of things.