What is the purpose of hope?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Gonjaninjitsu, Nov 24, 2010.

1. To be temporary blinded into believing something can happen. Sometimes it helps you persevere, sometimes it utterly buttfucks you and throws you overboard like a young Russian would be model on her way to America. At the end of the day, whether hope sees you through or utterly kills you, is it the feeling of hope that makes you think hope is worth a damn AFTER you persevere?

Is it the feeling of hope that makes you feel hope is worth a damn after you've been utterly buttfucked making you still believe there's a chance? Or is it all perseverance running its course knowing you have to survive and keep moving? I personally thinking hope is a fucking blindfold hence a cloud over judgment thus nothing more than a distraction irrational in nature. Simply put useless. What are your views on hope? Is it needed? Necessary? Unnecessary? Useless? Discuss.

2. Hope is what keeps some from killing themselves. I tend to live a life of "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.".

3. Its delusional man I can't place myself in that realm of thought. The worst is always going to be there. The best is always going to be there. You have the option of choice choose which realm you wish to be in. And this is in no way shape or form making it easier said than done its just the fact

4. I just figure that what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. If I prepare for the worst, I won't be disappointed.

5. Success is as dangerous as failure.
    Hope is as hollow as fear.

What does it mean that success is a dangerous as failure?
    Whether you go up the ladder or down it,
    you position is shaky.
    When you stand with your two feet on the ground,
    you will always keep your balance.

What does it mean that hope is as hollow as fear?
    Hope and fear are both phantoms
    that arise from thinking of the self.
    When we don't see the self as self,
    what do we have to fear?

See the world as your self.
    Have faith in the way things are.
    Love the world as your self;
    then you can care for all things.

6. That's being realistic not hopeful, hope is the candy paint on realism. Perseverance speaks for itself. Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger

7. But isn't it human nature, or even primal instinct, to hope for the best possible outcome in every situation? If I was being chased by an animal and was running towards a cliff, I can turn and face the animal or jump and HOPE for a better situation in the end.

8. Hope is also why a roach thinks he has a chance against a hen, which is completely irrational if the roach had the cognitive abilities to hope, it would flee. That's it natural instincts. You are given two choices when facing a wild animal. Fight or Flee. Within both outcomes yes it is plausible to hope for the best outcome but to me hope is a bit distracting in accomplishing the goal. Hope is the buffer between knowing and not knowing, before you know something and after you know something that gap in between is hope.

And apparently through the irrationality of that delay, from not knowing to knowing we as humans feel that hope is necessary to carry us through that gap to knowledge, I for one think its utterly distracting and useless simply for the fact that hope is simply a buffer.

Why use a buffer or go through a middle man when you go directly to the source? Which is why I made this thread. Why do we feel that HOPE is necessary to see us through jumping off a 200ft cliff hoping for the best when there's only jagged rocks and ferocious waves crashing against the sides of the cliff? Does it make the inevitable ride of you meeting your death more comfortable?

Sure it does but does it in any way shape or form deter from the fact that you're meeting your doom? No. If you faced the animal however if you believed in your ability to fight in the first place thus standing your ground that faith alone will help you persevere. Don't confuse that for hope thats utterly nuts and guts, and even if you died trying you know you died trying instead of wasting your time hoping to make it through. Its almost a lofty thought, if not completely a lofty thought in its purest definition. The thought of survival alone overshadows hope and despair, thats the fact. I will conclude by saying hope its the subtlest form of complacency and its true

9. I'm not saying I'm unable to do any of these things or I'm incapable of love I just choose not to delude myself in going through those processes

10. yes i know thats what the verse talks about

hope is just an illusion , an expectation we set for ourselves that says our happieness is conditioned upon it happening

without hope you are fearless , climbing higher up the ladder comes the fear of falling down it , have both feet on the ground if you want to enjoy life

my personal philosphy - come what may , leave what must.

11. I see what you're saying. I think hope is just an inbred instinct in most humans. You are right in that I believe in "envisioning" in the sense that before a fight, I "envision" me kicking his butt. I believe it gives you a better sense of your task. At the same time, I can envision me striking him across the jaw and laying him out, but if I don't act, he'll be the one laying me out.

12. Exactly what I was going to put. Without hope, why live?

13. #13 Gonjaninjitsu, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
    Right there my man, without hope there is never a fear of loss to distract you from duty and movement. To distract you from belief in what you can do. It can almost be argued that hope is a form of egotistical thinking the way it deludes the mind into thinking its something its not

Exactly do you know see the difference between hoping and knowing? When you know what to do you don't burden yourself with the follies of hope because you're busy not leaving any room for error and there's no hoping for the best when you know its only your best thats going to help you persevere through that fight. When you through that left hook you're not hoping it lands you're accessing your knowledge banks in helping you launch the most efficient attack upon your opponent and landing it with furor, not the thought of furor, which is undoubtedly and ultimately hope. Therefore there is no other conclusion other than hope is utterly useless to live a full and productive life and I will even say that hope is a hindrance in achieving our full potential as humans beings for its sheer irrationality and delusional properties

That's pretty complacent thinking. From where I'm standing it doesn't even seem like you formulated that answer on your own it just seems like you thought that was the correct thing to say, which is what the general consensus says. Why not live? Tell me why exactly hope is essential to living a full, productive comfortable life

14. I changed "and" to "BUT", but this is essentially the philosophy I live by, and people don't understand how I can not hope for things. It's because of my experience, I used to hope for tons of things, but those things always failed to blossom so now I hope for the best but "don't get my hopes up" at the same time.

15. #15 PilkyHigh, Nov 24, 2010
    You guys should watch this. Really interesting video that reflects the sort of things being discussed here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo]YouTube - RSA Animate - Smile or Die[/ame]

16. Hope is hardwired into the human brain

one way to Iook at it is that hope exists to repIicate hope, and since hope can very often keep peopIe going it is very good at repIicating itseIf by aIIowing those with hope to have chiIdren whom wiII have the genes and the disposition to have hope, if someone turns out to be hopeIess they might even die and their next of Kin wiII hope they went to better pIace thereby repIicating hope

anyways thats just meaningIess way to Iook at it, it exists because it is very adept at existing and repIicating

It gets things done, peopIe hope themseIves from states of utter apathy into states of contentment and shouId they faII into depression or something Iike it they wiII have hope that things wiII once again be fine (because it happened before)

but a better way to Iook at it I think is that aII things are temporary and hope is reaIIy just that reaIization that the way things are are not the way things are aIways are going to be, and with the certainty of distinct future possibiIities

weII there you have it, you aIways have hope
    I think

17. I think everyone has hope. Some people just need it more than others. You walk through life blindfolded all the time. Nobody knows whats gonna happen in the future, but we keep on living anyway. The outcomes people are hopeful for vary, but everyone's hopeful. It's what we're built on. Energy. Your body itself is hopeful. It never wants to give up the fight. It has a need to survive, to strive. If we're harmed, our body lets us know and tries to prevent further harm by giving us pain. If we knowingly hold our breath and stop receiving oxygen, we pass out and start to breath again. Complete override for trying to kill ourselves. The body does whatever its capable of doing to prevent death. We have the intelligence to put ourselves in the best position to be successful. Some people just come up short in some areas. When we're in a not so good situation, sometimes it works out, most of the time it doesn't. When the odds are good, most of the time it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Nothing is 100%. If you're 99.9% sure something will work out, you're still .1% hopeful. No matter how high or low the chances are, nobody knows the future. We can only predict the best we can.

18. #18 Gonjaninjitsu, Nov 24, 2010
    I believe hope is a defense mechanism from not being able to believe. From the bad times, from losing the good times. From keeping a peaceful state of mind. Striving for a peaceful world. Winning the lottery. Holding on to number 7. As for winning the heart of another I'll leave that to perseverance. Is this the grand tutor that teaches us and leads us through life? Do you hear these words and from them gain might? Is this the necessary solution we need to tap into our inner strengths? After all we do it on our own. Why is hope necessary to achieve these heights? To forge reality by breaking it? By eliminating decision and relying on our instinct to survive whether in dire danger on in subtle ways does hope become our shield in defense? Our shield in defense by ignoring the obvious and settling the score by clouding everything we know to peer through the eyes of the future? The shield that protects us from the harmful rays of separating ourselves from the present to gain entrance into the future? If so, how? By taking one step and another what do we see ahead of ourselves? Objects in front of us or what our brain shows us from what our eyes see? Chew on that one fellas :smoke:

I don't disagree with you. Hope is as irrational and unpredictable as the future, one could argue that hope is in fact a buffer between the present and the future which is why no one can be 100% sure at any time even if its for just a split second because we make sense of the irrationality and unpredictability of the future in the present, when it is happening coming from about to happen.

As a species we cannot live without hope for the simple and precise fact that the future always collides with the present. So by living in the present hope becomes irrelevant which leads me back to my original point. Hope is utterly useless in living a productive comfortable full life. Great post Scream AHHHHHHH!!!!!! :hello: It seems that those who essentially need hope are those who exchange living in the present for the wishful thinking of living within the future, which of course is a folly in itself before the suggestion.

Your present self determines your future self so by ignoring your present self you are indeed crafting a future self which is held together by the hope to be that future self which is indeed irrational in every sense because you are doing nothing more than ignoring reality to make that image happen. By letting your pseudo-future self determine your present self you are hoping to be what you already aren't which seems to be doing the process of creating yourself in an overly difficult way and simply doing it backwards.

I hope to be a rockstar how do I make that happen? I pick up an instrument learn a few notes start a band and then hope people like my music? Is my music good enough for me to feel that I need to hope that people actually like it or do I make sure my music is good do I persevere through the critic reviews and learn how to get a crowd playing learn what kind of vibes they like or do I just pick up my instrument and play? I can be Jerry Seinfeld at his age right now and performing stand up after all the years I've been doing it. Do I indeed hope that the crowd loves my performance or do I do my best and be proud with myself? Is that alone necessary to blow up the crowd? To hope I do? Or persevere through?

19. If both exist, why should one have to choose one over the other? In fact, even trying to choose seems more delusional than embracing both.

People don't live their lives entirely happy or entirely miserable, but somewhere in between. It is the same with most anything.

20. Preference. I'm pretty sure you've heard of it as in this being your favorite board than others :D