What is the point of FIM!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CoreyP, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Isnt the point of FIM'ing to make more than 2 main colas? The guy who came up with it was trying to top a plant but didnt cut enough off so he said Fuck I Missed (FIM) and to his suprise like 5 grew right? So the point of FIM is to make more than TWO tops cause thats what topping does. Am i right?

2. Fimming is actually no different than topping, what fimming does is virtually the exact same thing only your leaving part of the new growth. This only takes of part of the new growth and actually topping the very very new growth which is very hard to see.

What this ends up doing is making it seem as if your getting 4 new tops right next to eachother when its actually only 2 at the very top (like topping) but since it was cut so closely to the next newest set of fanleaves 2 branches which would have formed there anyways seems to make it look like there is 4 new tops

3. Interesting.

4. That is essentially what I learned way back as well. When you fim, the "new growth" you are cutting through is not just then beginnings of the next node but also the node after that. Maybe more. At the point of that new growth the beginnings of those next nodes are clustered one within the other very close, so it is something like topping more than just the one next top at a time.

All of these new tops will each be smaller than if you had left it alone and let it grow only one top. But the total of all the new tops is more than you would have gotten from one top alone, so it increases yield.

At the same time, fimming does stunt the growth temporarily and re-direct the plant's energy to development of lower branches/nodes. All in all it slows growth down a bit but increases overall yield both by increasing total yield at the tops as well as increasing budsite development on the lower branches.

5. Thank you. And zingerfor20 its not to make 4 tops really, it can make up to 8 new tops. And yes, while this is happening sure the plant directs more growth to lower nodes, but that stops the minute the new colas form. The point of fimming is more colas, the point of PRUNING is to slow down vertical growth and increase horizontal growth and nodes.

Heres some i have done. The first pic shows 3 tops and the second pic shows 4 tops. I have one or two that have 5 tops on them, ill get some pics tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. My interpertation of your pic. Please tell me if I am wrong. I just want to make sure we aren't arguing the same point in different ways.

Attached Files:

7. Everything you have circled is a growing tip and would do that if you didnt touch a pair of scissors to your plant ever. The top 3 branches that some of those are growing off of is what the FIM tech did. Everything you have circled is just new growth, happens on all plants. And if you dont want to believe me cant you believe the 1.5 MILLION articles on google?

8. Dude, that is your pic. I din't fim shit on your plant.

Let's not let this get out of control. I am just trying to see you point here. Explain it with your pic as an illustration. I really just want to see what you are calling new tops at this point.

9. hahah, you are right. See, even with my own pic i can point out the right parts. yes, the parts you have circled are just growth. Thats what any plant will do, you are right.

10. Of course they are new growth. Where do you think "new tops" come from? They don't just magically appear. You don't just create new tops out of thin air by topping or fimming. You are simply allowing the lower node growth to catch up to the top node growth. That is why it appears that you have x number of new top nodes.

Please, I think that we could clear this whole thing up if you just showed me with your picture what you consider a new top and what you consider lower growth.

11. Ok, i took a little second to show you. Its not as clean as yours but you get the point. Ok, you will notice in red 3 tops. In black you will see everything that come from those tops. Had i not have fimed this plant in red you would see one branch. Ok the small blue circles is just new growth/bud sites that happens on any plant and the long blue ovules are just branchs from the bottom (not sure why you circled those in the first place, but oh well)

[​IMG]

12. God damn it. I see no matter how much info or how many other people say what FIM is you are not going to back down. So i am done. You are right...FIM'ing is just another word for lower growth. Topping makes 2 tops, fim'ing makes 2 tops it all makes 2 tops. Every single page is wrong and you are right. Ok, we are done. I think what it is is you are not quite up to speed on what all the parts of the plant are called so its like we are speaking in 2 different languages. EVERYTHING YOU HAVE CIRCLED IN MY PIC IS JUST NEW GROWTH, NOT NEW TOPS!!!!!!! EVERYTHING IN RED THAT I CIRCLED IS A NEW TOP!!!! IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE HAD I NOT CUT IT (FIM'ED IT). EVERYTHING IN BLUE IN MY PIC IS NEW GROWTH, HAPPENS ON EVERY PLANT WHETHER YOU TOUCH IT OR NOT!!!! HOW MUCH CLEARER CAN I BE?!?!?!?! IF YOU DONT AGREE/TRUST/BELIEVE ME THERES NOTHING MORE I CAN DO. I HAVE PROVIDED YOU WITH PICS, WEBSITES, EVEN OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS ON THIS BOARD THAT CONTRADICT YOURS YET STILL YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, that im on your level maybe you will get it.

13. And even if i agree with you and say you are right, fim'ing makes the lower nodes grow faster or whatever...i am still right. FIM'ing will make more than 2 lower nodes grow faster where topping only makes two lower nodes grow faster. Is that better? If you dont understnad the difference between a top and just a side branch growing upwards then i cant help you. Sorry. Why do you even care so much? You said yourself, you grow amazing weed and you have been fim'ing for along time now. Why is it you care so much? I care so much because i am trying to help someone...you on the other hand are just trying to prove you are right? What is it about this that is getting under your skin. Hmmmm

14. LST is a better method, from my exsperence bending and tieing it down. All your lowers just became top colas fast,

15. Wow, why the sudden escelation in hostility. I am looking at your examples now. I will let you know when I am done. I don't really see the reason to start yelling though. I though we were having an open dialog that we were keeping reasonably civil.

16. I typically use LST with fimming or topping. You don't have to limit yourself to just one technique. In my experience, fiming along with LST produces some pretty amazing results.

17. ya topping or tieing is a must with large plants, and more shoots appear with dank bud sites,

18. I think that we have already discussed why this got under my skin. You said somthing like, don't listen to Mad. He doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to fimming. How could I not take offense to that. You questioned my knowledge. You basically issued a challenge.

What do you think the reason that I come to these forums is? My sole purpose is to help novice growers learn basic and advanced techniques to help them maximize their grow. Of course I learn new things here and there. You never stop learning. But what I mainly do is attempt to help others.

Let's all just chill out, toke a bowl and look at this again. I don't think we are as far away as your recent escelation in tone makes it appear.

19. doesnt topping create two different tops (because you are cutting off what would be the one main top)? thereby creating twice as many brances and nodes that come about?

fimming is new to me so im trying to learn from this thread, but the hostility redirects my thinking to who is the largest douchebag...nobody likes a douchebag (other than a woman who douches id suppose)...anyways i hope this fimming/topping comparing/contrasting is helpful for others.

20. First of all, I don't ever believe I have said the words "I am right". I am simply passing on my experiences to others. It is up to them to take them or leave them.

Let me just try an illustrative example to show you what I am talking about. Let's say that you had a plant that has grown 2 leaf sets. So, that would mean that the plant would posses 5 budsites. 4 side budsites and 1 top budsite. (hopefully we can at lest agree upon that)

Let's say you decided to fim it. Not a great idea, but 2 leaf sets is easier for my demonstration. If you were to fim your plant, you would still only have 5 budsites. However, the four side budsites would develop at a faster rate, and the development of the top budsite would slow for a few days after fimming. After the top budsite grows in, development will return to normal.

Now, let's say you decide to top your plant. Again, not a great idea, but easier for my demonstration. Prior to topping you would still have 5 budsites. But, after topping you actually only have 4. The 4 side budsites are all that remain. You have removed the top budiste completely (hence the term "topping). This essentially makes the uppermost side budsites the top budistes. Because now they are at the top of the plant. They will develop faster than the other two side budsites.

This is as clear as I can make my point. If you still don't get what I am trying to say, there is nothing else I can say right now. I have never once said I am right. I instead think we are just seeing things in a different way. I don't however appreciate the hostility and the slanderous remarks. I think that is totally uncalled for when my only goal is to help people on this forum.