What is the point of a 5 stage grinder?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by CuriousToker28, Mar 12, 2010.

1. I own a 2.5" chromium crusher and it has two screens in it... I took the fine screen out to make it easier to carry around and because the kief in the screen was soo difficult to get out.
    It seems like more of a pain than a benefit to me.
    Is there something i don't know about having a five stage grinder?

2. I have a 5 piece grinder as well but I'm not too entirely sure of the first screen either.
    I'd like to know as well!

3. #3 vince_1015, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
    i think the second screen filters out a finer, more pure powder. Kinda like the bubble bags for hash. I only have a 4 piece so not sure about that.

4. To be honest, what's even the point of a 4 piece grinder? I've got a 2 piece, $10 grinder that does everything I need it too. It's made of metal and is quite heavy, it grinds the bud to my liking, and then the bottom part collects all the kief. Isn't that the only 2 main functions of a grinder? I mean that's all I really need it for, anyway...

5. I absolutely adore my 5 stage grinder. The first catcher is obviously the largest plant material, the next catcher is for hairs and the last catcher is used to collect the finest pieces of herb - pollens. I suggest placing a penny, or something of the sort in the hair catcher and shaking it. This procedure will knock down any pieces of material into the bottom catcher. Hopefully this was of some help.

-PeterToke

6. Some people like to collect the keif over time and either use it for bowl toppings or even to press into some damn fine hash. A two-piece is good, too, though imo as you are packing all the kief into each bowl essentially.

7. Well I do get some kief collected at the bottom. My grinder simply has the top lid that can come on and off where you grind the buds, then there is a bottom portion that can be unscrewed where kief collects. In order to not dump out the kief when dumping out the fresh ground buds, you have to unscrew the kief collector first. That's the only downfall of this grinder, but for $10 bucks it was well worth it IMO, because I can still collect kief if I wanted too, it's just a little less convenient than a 4 or 5 piece grinder. Basically has the same function though.

8. I thought hairs didn't have any huge thc content? Either way I'd go with what someone said before, that the second screen screens our finer, more pure kief.

9. I'm not really sure i understand the way you explain your grinder but it sounds like it consists of atleast 3 pieces.

And i've used both screens and i've never collected and hairs in there it just seems to get some of my kief stuck in the screen so i can't get it...

10. thatd be a 3 piece not a 2 piece, i got one too i love it.

11. i own a chromium crusher too but i love that thing. like someone else said, the 2nd screen just collects even smaller more fine particles i suppose. I actually use a small brush (came with my electric razor but never use it to clean it) to brush the kief that collects on the first screen around and it it pushes some kief through the first screen into the bottom and what doesnt fall through i throw on a bowl :smoking: