What is the meaning of life.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by goodolddays, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Writing a paper on the meaning of life, and I'm wondering what your personal outlook on life is.

2. Meaning is for the individual to discover from their own point of view, no one can tell you nor can you tell anyone.

~AK~

3. Close the thread, no better response can be given at this point!!!

4. That is true.
    Read the first post. I'm asking for your own personal outlook on life, just out of my curiosity.:smoke:
    Ill be posting my paper on my views when I'm done writing it on Open Office.

5. What is the meaning of life?

Life. Life IS the meaning of life. There can be no other meaning other than life itself.

All the million factors that must be in places in order for life to emerge, have come together on Earth. And why do you think that happened?

Why do you think the sun rises in the morning and sun sets in the evening?

Because it's good for life. If the sun rose and set in any different manner, we'd all be dead.

And why do you think it rains?

Because it's good for life. Rain replenishes the lost water and it cleans the water. The whole system of rain works like a giant water filter plus desalinization plant, plus a lot others.

It's just amazing how complex the nature is, and all that is happening so that life can live on Earth.

While there are millions and millions of planets just inside the known Universe, so far we have not found a single planet that actually has any sort of life in it.

Most are saying how possible it might be, for there be a planet, which even harbors a civilization of some kind. And I agree. But that is unknown. Just a speculation.

What we DO know, however, is that up to date, there is no other planet in our known Universe that contains any sort of life... (Let's not talk about microbes and strains of DNA found on space rocks... I'm talking about trees and birds and shit like that... not some virus.)

So what I'm saying is life is special. It is THE MOST special thing in the UNIVERSE. There's nothing like it.

There are stars that are similar to our Sun, yes... there are planets that are similar to our Earth, true...

But there is nothing in the ENTIRE universe, like life on Earth.

Amazing, huh... we are truely blessed... The ONE place in the universe, where the trees grow and ganjas flourish... there are fruits... games... and fresh water.

Heaven for life.

6. life has no meaning unless you give it meaning, AK put it best:smoke:

7. theres no meaning, we are just animals.

Survive, and reproduce. Thats it. no big universal meaning for everyone, just life and death

8. Yeah, just life. No other meaning.

Isn't that great?

I think it's great that life has no meaning other than just survive and reproduce.

If it had any other meaning, I'd be REALLY exhausted... (just trying to stay alive is hard enough..)

9. 42. Sorry, had to.

I don't actually think there's a "meaning" of life. We have a goal, which is to reproduce, but there's no special meaning in my opinion.

10. It's not that the lack of meaning makes life 'less special', but it's exactly the opposite. It's what makes life so special.

I'm getting a lot of thought in my head right now but they're all messed up...

11. It is an alright cereal. Lucky Charms are better.

12. For me there is a spiritual component to all this (I'm absolutely not talking religion here). It's personal and when you feel it you'll know what I mean. You can't feel it unless you actually want to though, and in order to want to you have to first have an idea that it's there. The thing is, most people already feel more than they're either aware of or could put into words, and so what I mean by spiritual, which is a word you'll have to decide for yourself as to its meaning, is already part of your life. It couldn't be anything else.

13. for regular people; have kids, imbue them with all your wisdom, pass on family fortunes, and watch them enjoy a life better than you had; your decendants could be awesome!

For everyone else; Stay out of the way of the breeders, don't fuck with thier shit, and enjoy doing whatever the you like! mmmm indulgance :D

14. If you caught me on a good day, I'd say the meaning of life is to live and discover your own meaning. However, I'm feeling unusually upset this morning so I'll just get straight to the point and say, if you're looking for a meaning - you'll be looking for a very long time (to paraphrase Camus).

15. To live. Inorder to do this..you have to stop doing meaningless things, like searching for the meaning of life. Some view it as making money, having a family, love...whatever. Either way..you can't accomplish any of these things unless your living. So enjoy all the oppertunities that living gives you.

How do you take advantage of the meaning of life? Easy...

1. Go with the flow of life
    2. Drop what doesn't work for you
    3. Stick whith what does work for you
    4. Manage your risk

16. There is no inherent meaning behind life, which is what makes it so wonderful, you can create whatever meaning you want. Which is why you should just do what you love, always.

17. The meaning of life is to reproduce.

The meaning of a human being's life and i guess every animal with consciousness is to reproduce and be happy.

we're animals, just with consciousness and intelligence which gives us greater control over our lives to the extent where we can choose happiness over reproduction if reproduction means the opposite of happiness.

18. Although AK put it best, this a generic meaning of life I figured out when smoking listening to classical music on top a water tower so listen at your own risk!

"This is because that. That is because of this"

If you ever feel like you don't understand something this might help but like I said use at your own risk because you might tumble your very foundations after

19. #19 goodolddays, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
    If anyones curious what my paper turned out to be here it is...

20. Technical difficulties?