What is the best metal band?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by dittohead, Nov 24, 2016.

1. In my humble opinion, the greatest metal band of all time is Pantera... but I want to hear some other opinions, perhaps some suggestions? [bong]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pantera is great but tool must be the best metal band ever

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I personally wouldn't say that tool is metal, they're sorta their own genre, but they're fucking legendary.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fucking hell yeah

5. You're right on that. I like powerful metal best with meaningful lyrics that's why I love most of Metallicas stuff. Avantasias metal opera is great for when your very high or tripping on some unmentionables

6. Slayer

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. I second this I am a tool junkie, I also enjoy Black Label Society, soil, sub dub mkcromachine

8. sub dub micromachine

9. Cryptopsy

10. Pantera is the shit. Though I think Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden deserve some credit in a thread like this :metal:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Anyone listen to iced earth? They are pretty deadly. One of many bands I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  12. I have far to many favorites but almost all of them are black metal bands. I'll name just a few for now.

Peste Noire, Baise Ma Hache, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Satanic Warmaster, Sargeist, Graveland, Drudkh, Akitsa, Forteresse, Goatmoon, Utstøtt, Bathory, Shining, Sabbat, Rotting Christ, Root, Sorcier Des Glaces, Vimur, Master's Hammer, Impious Baptism, Hate Forest, Grand Belial's Key, Satyricon, Celtic Frost, Szron, Carpathian Forest, Blood Of The Moon, Aura Noir, Black Witchery, Agalloch, Darkspace, and literally hundreds of others.

A song from one of my all time favorite albums.

13. Also my own band All Hell, we signed with Prosthetic Records earlier this year and we are about to release our third album next year. We do plenty of touring (mostly east coast and midwest) and next year we plan to expand to new places.

I'm the bassist.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Between the Buried and Me are gods.

15. #16 LuxTenebris, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    How does one quantify best? How many bands they influenced?

It'd be guys like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motörhead.

Most album sales?

Metallica, bar none has the most album sales of any Metal band.

It's because that opening question that I have a hard time picking "best" of anything that there isn't a clear answer (like weed is the best commonly used plant for smoking, nothing else is even close)

Anyway, Napalm Death needs some love, and they were the most influential extreme metal band there's ever been, and they're still going almost 40yrs later. So Napalm Death it is.

And an honorable mention has to go to these exquisitely talented Aussies, Ne Obliviscaris

• Like Like x 1
  16. Slayer is the best band ever

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17. Motorhead will always be my favorite

18. There is no such thing as they best metal band. Art is supposed to make you feel. And if you get feeling or emotion out of something then what more could you ask of an artist?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2