What is going on?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by nirvana828, May 10, 2010.

1. Okay, so i'm sure you have all seen the new immigration law passed in Arizona. Today on the news, the federal gov. is talking about suing Arizona and taking them to court to over turn the law. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Also, what is the basis behind them doing this. Do you think the same thing would happen if Marijuana is legalized in California in November?

2. I'm not an expert or anything, but I don't think they will be able to do that with marijuana laws. The reason they are able to do it to Arizona and the immigration laws is because they think it violates the civil rights of american citizens who are hispanic. It would cause the police in Arizona to begin racial profiling ect.. The only reason the federal government is able to intervene at all is because the immigration law in Arizona may be unconstitutional. A law legalizing marijuana in California wouldn't be unconstitutional and wouldn't discriminate, so it is a very different scenario. That doesn't mean that the federal government won't try to stop it in any way, they would just make up some other reason.