What is Deja Vu?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by reagydeagydoo, Jul 25, 2013.

1. I recently came up with a theory on what deja vu might be whilst under the influence of some unmentionables. My theory is that, if the theory of the multiverse is true and there are infinite universes in which infinite possibilities are happening, and if our consciousness can possibly travel between said universes (which is how goals might work, we orient our consciousness in the direction of the universe in which what we want to happen is happening), what if déjà vu is the moment when our consciousness is traveling between two separate universes, and thus we are consciously experiencing the same moment in two different universes? Thoughts?

2. wow, this a very interesting theory. makes me wonder too because i had some deja vu today.

3. #3 Carl Weathers, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    Your theory implies that each universe has its own possibilities, extending to the ability of switching universes based upon where ones goals will be realized. I.e. different things happening in each universe. However that is in complete contrast to your conclusion that deja vu is the switching of one universe to another, where you experience 'the same moment in two universes'. This would require identical moments to run in tandem over each universe, negating infinite possibilities between universes, and necessitating that they're all the same. Which strikes me as a redundant and very inconsistent concept.

Also, I don't believe deja vu ever strikes me while setting goals, it's a completely random occurrence and strikes me very infrequently, in contrast to the amount of goals I may set for myself. Interesting realization I just had, though, was that I experienced deja vu far more often in my pre-teenage years compared to now in my twenties.

4. It's a cool and entertaining thought, but I don't think you have enough research behind your findings to exclaim "theory."  But I've always been curious with my experiences of already have been there, despite it just happening.  My younger brother experiences it more, but I feel more premonitions in a way that I can only pick up on usually after it happened...  Why did I say it like that, dream this or do something preemptively.  

5. I don't think that the two parts of my idea would necessarily negate each other, because if there were infinite parallel universes with infinite possibilities, odds are there would be quite a few universes in which pretty much the same thing was happening. I was just using the switching of universes based on goals to illustrate the concept of being able to move between universes, there could be other times in which you move between the universes, or maybe that's not how goals work at all. I'm not some metaphysicist haha, I've done zero research on this. Or it could be possible that the current universe your consciousness exists in is the universe in which the goals you are setting are realized. In which case maybe you should set bigger goals for yourself?
    I probably shouldn't have called it a theory as I certainly haven't done any research on it, it's just an idea.
    That's strange, maybe you should start analyzing what you do/experience as soon as it happens. That would probably require a lot of unnecessary thinking compared to the amount of things you might realize actually are a sign of things to come. And like they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

6. I have heard that deja vu is a result of a "brain studder". It's like when we repeat a word over and over again. The memory process repeats itself and it appears that we have done this before. Not sure how true that is, but it's what I heard.

7. If there are two or more parallel universes (disregarding this gross abuse of the word "universe" lmao,) and you're switching between the two in reality, then are you really switching between the two or are you just in a third universe in which you were always going to switch between the other two? Don't you still need your own "universe" to exist in? Thinking that you can switch between the two kinda defeats the entire notion of a universe, does it not? If they are linked in any way, they are ultimately part of the same "universe" (disregarding the fact, again, that if they merely exist in any way they ought, semantically, to be considered part of the same universe.)  

8. Well that's where the idea of the multiverse comes in. It's one multiverse made up of many universes. And I think that in order for any of this to be true it would kind of defeat the idea of the universe as we know it, because scientists generally see our universe as the only universe, hence the name "universe." Which is a problem of the human ego.

9. I think it's really just a problem of conceptualization. Even if we're saying that there are parts of reality where basically all information repeats (or repeats with slight variations) that doesn't really address the problem of the overarching structure of reality. These infinitely repeating parts all still have to sit in one existence, if we zoom out further. So that ought to be considered the universe. It's not that scientists "generally see our universe as the only universe"...it's that the word itself means that it is the summation of all existence, repetitious or not. 

Basically, we're all using the word "universe" to mean two different things: 1. A self-enclosed (maybe you would throw away this first criterion, given your thread here,) self-consistent and self-coherent plane of existence, perhaps one of many. 2. All existence. Period.

10. is a minor spike/wave pattern usually traveling from one temporal lobe or the other....round to the frontal lobe.....
    "Simple partial seizure"
    Would offer you some links but posting from my phone....
    Can cause deja or jamis(sp?) Vu the second being the opposite.... familiar places/events being unfamiliar.....
    Can involve hallucinations of all 5scenes.....
    They don't really know much about why in most cases.....
    Only what is happening physically..... in some cases there is a why..... an injury or growth..... still in most cases.....no why.....
    i had it so often i have at times thought maybe i dreamed this whole life before i could talk..... for me it always felt like flashbacks to those dreams....

11. I was recently told that deja vu is when...
    1) You're experiencing something 
    2) Your brain makes a memory of said experience
    3) Your brain kind of glitches and sends the memory signal to the part of the brain that stores "long term memories" as opposed to recent short term ones

So that's why you feel like you've seen it before in the past... or so I was told

12. I think I remember reading somewhere that such experiences can happen when both spheres of the brain are desynchronized for a very short moment. Might be total BS.

13. You might find this interesting. Though it doesn't really give a definitive explanation.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CSf8i8bHIns&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCSf8i8bHIns

Also I love the term hypnogogic jerk, though I don't enjoy it when happens to me.

14. Vsauce <3

15. I had a very similar experience also on unmentionables.  However mine was a little different and still uses the idea of a multiverse though with perhaps more of a spiritual significance than it is usually regarded, though rather than travelling in to other universes I actually believe deja vu to be a rememberance of doing the same thing before in a past cycle.

For example in an infinite multiverse anything that is possible to happen no matter how unlikely will happen again but not just again it will happen an infinite number of times for that is the nature of infinity.  This means that this exact life that you are living you have experienced before an infinite number of times and will continue to do so for infinity.  I believe deja vu is a fleeting rememberance of a past cycle of this exact same universe with the exact same events.  Most of the time it's so quick that this realisation isn't properly felt, but in the right circumstance where you get a lengthy deja vu I believe it is possible to remember these past life times.

Now I want to practice the ancient art of deja vuuuuuuuu...

17. Its a really shitty bottle of water

18. Multiverse? Unmentionables? Mind traveling across multiverses experiencing thousands of different possibilities? ........doubtful.

There are many, many, many theories and scientific studies, but one stuck with me. This one study was done showed that the brain basically is a file cabinet. It has two places to store files, old files and new files. When we learn something or are just experiencing the now, the brain sends those memories to the new files and then proceeds to take older files from the new files and put them into the old files, since they are now older files. This study showed that perhaps the brain makes a mistake and sends the thing you had deja vu with to the old files part of the brain, thus making you feel like it happened already. 

1. \t\t\tSeizure Facts and Figures - Types, Syndromes & FAQs‎\t<div>www.epilepsyfoundation.org/‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="background-color:rgb(255,255,255);font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li>\t<div style="color:rgb(51,51,51);"> 
        \t\t
      • \t 
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\tGet the Facts for Better Health.‎\t 
      \t</li>
    </div></div> 
    \tSearch Results<div>
    1. \t<div>\t\t\tDeja vu and Epilepsy | epilepsy.com\t<div style="color:rgb(68,68,68);">\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">www.epilepsy.com › ... › Diagnostic Dilemmas and Testing‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li> \t
      •  \t
      • \t<div style="color:rgb(51,51,51);"> 
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t 
      \tSep 6, 2008 - Ok I'm going to give a short version and a long version, as the long one might be too long for many... SHORT: -I'm 23, have had 5-6 <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">deja vu episodes in 3-4 ...</span>\t\t\t<div>deja vu
      \tSep 6, 2009
      \t
      \t\tdeja vu aura
      \tMay 23, 2008
      \t
      \t\tDeja vu
      \tNov 27, 2007
      \t
      \t\tSimple Partial Seizures
      \tNov 8, 2007
      \t
      \t\tMore results from www.epilepsy.com
      \t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    2. \t\t\t\tTemporal lobe seizure - MayoClinic.com\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">www.mayoclinic.com/health/temporal-lobe-seizure/DS00266‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li> \t
      •  \t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t 
      \tSome symptoms of a temporal lobe <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">seizure may be related to these functions, including having odd feelings - such as euphoria, fear, panic and deja vu.</span>\t‎Symptoms - â€ŽCauses - â€ŽTreatments and drugs - â€ŽTests and diagnosis
      \t</div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    3. \t\t\t\tTemporal Lobe Epilepsy\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">epilepsy.med.nyu.edu › Information for Patients â€º Types of Epilepsy‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li> \t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t 
      \tThis is why the <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">seizures can include a feeling of déjà vu, fear, or anxiety, and why some people with TLE may have problems with memory and depression.</span></div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    4. \t\t\t\tDéjà Experiences in Temporal Lobe Epilepsy\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">www.hindawi.com/journals/ert/2012/539567/‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li> \t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t‎by NA Illman - ‎2012 - ‎Cited by 3 - ‎Related articles
      \tDec 29, 2011 - Historically, <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">déjà vu has been linked to seizure activity in temporal lobeepilepsy, and clinical reports suggest that many patients experience the ...</span></div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    5. \t\t\t\tDéjà vu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Déjà_vu‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li> \t
      •  \t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t 
      \tThe strongest pathological association of <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">déjà vu is with temporal lobe epilepsy. This correlation has led some researchers to speculate that the experience of ...</span></div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    6. \t\t\t\tTemporal lobe epilepsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_lobe_epilepsy‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li> \t
      •  \t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t 
      \tTemporal lobe <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">epilepsy is a form of focal epilepsy, a chronic neurological condition ....These sensations may be mnestic such as déjà vu (a feeling of familiarity), ...</span></div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    7. \t\t\t\tShort report: is there anything distinctive about epileptic deja vu?\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23315620‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t‎by C Warren-Gash - ‎2013 - ‎Related articles
      \tJan 11, 2013 - BACKGROUND: <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">Déjà vu can occur as an aura of temporal lobeepilepsy and in some psychiatric conditions but is also common in the general ...</span></div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    8. \t\t\t\tDéjà vu in unilateral temporal-lobe epilepsy is associated with ...\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22841992‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t‎by CB Martin - ‎2012 - ‎Cited by 2 - ‎Related articles
      \tJul 27, 2012 - <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">Déjà vu in unilateral temporal-lobe epilepsy is associated with selective familiarity impairments on experimental tasks of recognition memory.</span></div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    9. \t\t\t\tDéjà vu in temporal lobe epilepsy\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ... › v.26(1); Feb 1963‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li> \t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t‎by M Cole - ‎1963 - ‎Cited by 36 - ‎Related articles
      \tMULLAN S, PENFIELD W. Illusions of comparative interpretation and emotion; production by <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">epileptic discharge and by electrical stimulation in the temporal ...</span></div>\t</div>\t</li>\t
    10. \t\t\t\tDeja Vu: What's normal and what's not - Epilepsy Forum\t\t<div style="color:rgb(102,102,102);">www.coping-with-epilepsy.com › ... › Peer Support â€º The Kitchen‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="font-size:13px;">\t
      • <li> \t
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\tAug 11, 2011 - ‎20 posts - ‎7 authors
      \tA lot of people experience <span style="font-weight:bold;color:inherit;">dejavu and don't have epilepsy. DejaVu however, from what I know is related with temporal lobe epilepsy in some ...</span>\t\t\t<div>low mood with jamais vu and deja vu
      \t4 posts
      \tApr 8, 2013
      \t
      \t\tComplex Partial seizuresDeja vu then blackout.
      \t20 posts
      \tJan 21, 2013
      \t
      \t\tDeja Vu making me feel crazy!
      \t5 posts
      \tJul 20, 2012
      \t
      \t\tIntense deja vu often. Temporal Lobe Epilepsy?
      \t7 posts
      \tDec 6, 2009
      \t
      \t\tMore results from www.coping-with-epilepsy.com
      \t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t</li>
    </div></div></div>\tAd related to deja vu epilepsy
    1. \t\t\tEpilepsy clinical study‎\t<div>www.explore332epilepsy.net/‎\t<div style="margin:0px 3px;">\t<div style="background-color:rgb(255,255,255);font-size:13px;">\t
        \t\t
      • \t 
        \t\t
      \t</div>\t</div>\tI am taking antiepileptics but my symptoms continue‎\t 
      \t\tDo I Qualify? - FAQs - Who is eligible? - What to expect
      \t
      \t</li>
    </div></div><div><div style="margin:0px;">Searches related to deja vu epilepsy
    deja vu epilepsy temporal lobe
    deja vu epilepsy symptoms
    deja vu feeling seizure
    déjà vu in temporal lobe epilepsy

deja vu life
    deja vu symptoms
    deja vu dizziness
    deja vu brain tumor

</div></div>

19. The strongest pathological association of déjà vu is withtemporal lobe epilepsy.<sup>[7]</sup><sup>[8]</sup> This correlation has led some researchers to speculate that the experience of déjà vu is possibly a neurological anomaly related to improper electrical discharge in the brain. As most people suffer a mild (i.e. non-pathological) epileptic episode regularly (e.g. a hypnagogic jerk, the sudden "jolt" that frequently, but not always, occurs just prior to falling asleep), it is conjectured that a similar (mild) neurological aberration occurs in the experience of déjà vu, resulting in an erroneous sensation of memory
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu