what is a soul?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ryano85, Feb 7, 2008.

1. I agree with you hun.

2. A soul is a concept that varies depending on beliefs.

My belief is that the soul is the part of us that is aware we exist, and that carries on our existence.

Literally speaking, I'd say the soul is some sort of energy or "matter" that we know little to nothing about.

Really though, the answer to your question is that the soul is nothing more than a concept, at least right now.

3. A unique energy signature.

Some of the best and straight forward info I've read about this is from a UFO encounter, http://www.galactic-server.com/rune/iarga2a.html

It's got it's own terminology:

'A soul is the configuration of indestructable absolute powers and talents that is capable of the reflection of the love-will.'

'the human soul is the smallest possibe particle of the talents of the gods that lived during the formation, at the end of the divergence and division process. A soul is not something based on coincidence, but something created by an infinite God to exactly complement a coincidental creation; man. Our soul is immortal, but not yet perfected'

'
    A soul is a timeless thing that was formed in the past, and is the 'filling' of a coincidence of today: a human being. The ages mentioned can therefore vary a great deal.'

Something to think about anyways.

4. An idea.

You are not the skin cell in your finger. You are not a hair on your head. You are not the electron firings in your brain.

Your body is the medium. Your soul is the driving force that continues your life. The will to live, experience, and do whatever it is you want to do.

5. Its green, kinda looks like kryptonite....

6. HAHAHA

7. i asked this because i wanted to hear what others think about this.. not in order to be persueded(its always an open possibility, i refuse to close my mine to other views) or to persues others. but i cant buy the spiritual explination.. i believe my "soul" is a mix of genetics, my living environment, experiances and the way i chose to take those experiances, having to do with my environment i guess.. when i hear others say if "you could be" or "i wish i was" .. obviously i take it literally in these situations.. but if you were to take that serious to think of taking your soul and transfering it into another physical body, a material body.. i cant see it, you cant transfer my soul.. if i was born from another.. i would do as anyone else put in the same situation would, so what im saying is i wouldnt be able to have my soul transfered, because if mine would do just as all would or have done.. than it is the same as all others.. wich would mean either there is no spirit or all is spirit.. and i cant trust that all would be spirit

8. A soul is an abstract idea, but in my opinion it's the best explanation we'll ever have for consciousness, self-awareness, and the ability to think abstractly..... basically all the things that make us intelligent sentient beings. In this way, the existence of a soul kind of explains itself and at the same time becomes something that we can never fully grasp the inner workings of. It's what universally connects us all to the spiritual, intangible, and the ultimate. It's what allows us to feel something as complex as emotion, and also let's us think independently and subjectively. As far as modern science has come, there is still a huge gap in understanding the exact relationship between the mind, the brain, and the body. This gap is the soul.... once we all understand that, maybe we can make progress and become more in touch with ourselves spiritually, but not through superficial things like organized religion.