Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What is a good medical marijuana strain for chronic pain?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by EuphoricApathy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. I Have arthritis and severe migraines,what Is a good strain for helping to ease the pain?

2. Sour Diesel, Chiesel, Pandora's Box and Cindy 99 to name a few common one's. Update us when you find one that works.

3. For arthritis it is not so much about which strain a patient uses as it is about how the does is administered. Well made topical ointments applied to the painful joints offer longer lasting better relief than any other method of ingestion or medication used in the treatment of arthritis. I coat most of the joints in my body at bed time so I can sleep through the buzz. Once a day is usually good enough but occasionally I will aggravate an old injury and spot treat that joint when ever it is cranky.

Adding the endocannabinoids available through the Omega-3 Fatty Acids epically DHA and EPA may support bone and joint tissue repair as well as providing healthy neuro receptors for the THC to bind to and will improve treatment sucess.

4. Fire OG is great for pain

5. [quote name='"Asthmatic"']For arthritis it is not so much about which strain a patient uses as it is about how the does is administered. Well made topical ointments applied to the painful joints offer longer lasting better relief than any other method of ingestion or medication used in the treatment of arthritis. I coat most of the joints in my body at bed time so I can sleep through the buzz. Once a day is usually good enough but occasionally I will aggravate an old injury and spot treat that joint when ever it is cranky.

Adding the endocannabinoids available through the Omega-3 Fatty Acids epically DHA and EPA may support bone and joint tissue repair as well as providing healthy neuro receptors for the THC to bind to and will improve treatment sucess.[/quote]

This is great info. Topicals work very well for arthritis, especially in your hands.

6. #6 WolfSpirit1959, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
    How is GOD's name does one get "topicals"??? Will they have that at the dispensaries? Oh and how long will it take to get dispensaries up and running? Anyone know??? What about the docs? Do they have special ones or do we use our own?

7. They do have them at dispensaries but they are easy to make at home.

http://forum.grasscity.com/blogs/asthmatic/31981-r-x-topical-ointment.html

8. Really? Uh... how does one find a "recipe" for it? And does it end up in your blood or urine when it is used topically? I ask because I have SEVERE arthritis and fibromyalgia and several other pain issues. I was curious if it was very involved to make and would it be in my blood or urine before the MMJ was already in place as legit.

9. You make oil like you would for cooking (coconut is best) and then either dilute it with more oil for applying, or you make a lotion out of it.

Just combine a weed oil recipe with any home made lotion recipe you find on the internet.

Many dispensaries in CA don't carry it, but some do. Remember, most users don't need relief of arthritis, so it is a bit specialty. Selling buds or hash is more useful since you can make your own.

I would assume some gets in your system, otherwise I don't think it would help. I think I've gotten buzzed from lotion, but it could have been placebo.

10. Great info, glad this was asked

11. #11 WolfSpirit1959, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    So I cook my weed and get oil from it??? Do I just put it in the pan and cook the weed with some wesson or something??? Then mix with some other oil to rub in.... sounds good. I never realized I could do that! Any other recipes out there that I can try???

12. Like when I make brownies, just dont put it in the brownie mix!

13. #13 Asthmatic, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    I put the link to my recipe in my last post. here it is again in case you missed it,

http://forum.grasscity.com/blogs/asthmatic/31981-r-x-topical-ointment.html

or just look in my blog.

Different oils absorb through the skin differently Olive & Wesson are not preferred. Many people like Coconut, I'm a fan of ready made moisturizing body lotions, like you buy at the store, choose your favorite if there is one you like. The trouble with the oil making method you listed above is you can not control dose strength. I like concentrates best because it is easy to make it as strong or as weak as you want and make it nearly the same time after time so you will always have a dose you can trust.

At it's easiest mix a gram of hash oil in 1/2 pint of what ever oil or lotion you choose. Have an extra gram of hash oil ready in case you want it stronger and an extra 1/2 pint of lotion in case it is too strong. From here you can get quite designer with it if you want. Again see my blog entry.

Whether it is intoxicating or not depends on how strong you make your ointment and on how much you use. I put it on every joint that moves and I mix my ointment strong so most of the time It is at bed time medicine for me so I can sleep through it.

I'm just about sure it will show up in a UA, though my recommendation protects me at my place of employment your mileage will very. If a UA is a big concern in your life think about engaging your endocannabinoid system instead. Omega-3 Fatty acids are UA Safe and eventually metabolize into some very nice endocannabinoids that are abbreviated DHEA, EPEA and EPG. If you want to shortcut your metabolism and jump as close to pure as you can get look for pure krill oil in among the fish oil supplements. Bottles labeled DHA should also be good also. People have been using it for years to help arthritis. It is only recently that the endocannabinoid metabolites were discovered. Read the three papers linked to in this blog entry:

http://forum.grasscity.com/blogs/as...asis-osteoporosis-treatment-omega-3-fats.html

hope this helps.

14. Oh yes.... An alcohol based tincture can be used topically for pain relief also.

15. Gotta add a few more - :D

Homemade hemp salve (forum thread - 2005) Auntie Bushka's Homemade Hemp Salve

WR's Cannabalm (forum thread - 2008)
    WR's Cannabalm

Making HAO~Holy Annointing Oil~From Healing Hemp Oil~for Pain & Healing (forum thread - 2009)
    Making HAO~Holy Annointing Oil~From Healing Hemp Oil~for Pain & Healing - GreenPassion - Dedicated to Medicinal Cannabis

WR's Cannabalm (forum thread - 2008)
    WR's Cannabalm

Making HAO~Holy Annointing Oil~From Healing Hemp Oil~for Pain & Healing (forum thread - 2009)
    Making HAO~Holy Annointing Oil~From Healing Hemp Oil~for Pain & Healing - GreenPassion - Dedicated to Medicinal Cannabis

Granny

16. Always a pleasure seeing you chip in and help.

17. Thank you so much for all the info!

18. I cant tell you how GRATEFUL I am that I just happen to find this site! I was just lookin for a pipe one day and it was the first one I picked. THANK GOD! He is always watchin out for me! Oh and thank you guys too!!! :)

19. Thanks Everyone,this helped a lot! ^^