What if we are the entire reason the universe exists?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by PurplefuckinNug, Dec 23, 2009.

1. If the reality we see around is only one of a infinite number of possible realities, then none of those realities is truly a reality. So what if out of the infinite number of possible realities conciseness life became possible, Remember all these "realities" would co-exist at the same "time". That conciseness brain would become a observer to the singular reality it comes from. Without an observer does the universe still exist? Without anyone to concisely think of and create that universe in their own reality does anything truly happen? Time is infinite. Nothing ever has to exist. Could everything just be a figment of our imagination and our sense of reality?

2. No, and I don't feel like I need to put any reason why I think that.

3. There's so much we don't know. The impossibilities of today could be the realities of tomorrow.

Personally, I think no. No good reason on my part, just no.

As usual, there is someone who expresses my thoughts better than I can:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g]YouTube - Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot[/ame]

4. Without an observer does the universe still exist? yes. (if a tree falls in the woods does it make a noise?(same idea))

Without anyone to concisely think of and create that universe in their own reality does anything truly happen? If humans never existed, things would still be happening in our universe.

Could everything just be a figment of our imagination and our sense of reality? To what we understand this is our reality, but there is still more to explore and more to see.

P.S. That vid that See Emily Play posted was pretty sweet.

5. #5 weedasaurus, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
    no, but I believe our entire reason to exist is to find out why it exists.

about %97 of all species to walk, fly, or swim on the earth has gone extinct. do you even think the planet is here just for us to exist. we are here, because we are lucky.

6. No. Furthermore, if we were the only thing in the universe/multi-verse/bubble-verse etc.. then it IS A HORRIBLE WASTE OF Existence. Humanity isn't really worth a whole lot IMO. We have become exceedingly corrupt and oppressive to one another. The Governments of the world seek only total control of their populace, and the 120 members of the Bilderberg group seek only to finish implementing their decision to operate the planet as a One World Government under their oligarchy. They would like to see 80% of our population die. This returns global balance and is much easier to control the populace unchallenged. Look it up.

By the way, WE ARE NOT the only beings in the universe/multi-verse/bubble-verse etc.. They are literally teeming with life. I mean lets pull the stupid cap off and use what god gave us to think with. God also being a label for the ultimate energy of existence and end. The very will of exitence... or not to exist.

7. hah, man you don't know that. that is the thing. i mean it probably doesn't make a noise if theres nothing there to interperet the noise. the noise is just your brain's rendition of what your ear said. if theres no brain, or no ear, how can you say the noise will still be there? its all just waves and atomic particles man... haha..

but to answer the op. we could absolutely be the reason everything else exists. but i always think that would suck cuz that probably means theres no other life out there on different planets. which i am hopeful that there is

8. #8 Imprtracr1, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010

are you kidding me....

man come on.. really..

tree falls in woods... yes it makes noise. Its simple physics. sound is a result of the vibration of air molecules from the tree impacting the ground. I mean you hear thunder even if its miles away and you cant see it or aren't directly around it. Eventually the sound wave looses it strength from moving through the air and objects. the energy released was dispersed.

additionally Def people can feel sound waves even if they can *hear them. Its just frequencies.

so basically its just energy that is being released and dispersed. The way we observe or interpret it depends on what senses are at your disposal. But Sound was still a result of that energy from the tree falling.

BTW how are we the reason everything exists.. Id like to hear this one........

Plain and Simple. There is such a multitude of life just on this planet alone, life that has and no longer exists, life that does exist, and life that has yet to exist. all in unique forms. from cells to plants to animals. There is absolutely NO WAY that our planet is unique in this. I mean its absurd.Not to mention mathematically impossible. The very fact that WE EXIST on a planet that is capable of supporting many life forms in its own right proves that life exists on planetary bodies in space. Period. And there are literally Millions of other planets out in the universe/multi-verse/bubble-verse like our own, and millions more that could support life in environments that are hostile to humans. I mean it happens all the time here on our own planet. If life can exist, it will exist. It really is that simple.

9. I can see how OP arrived at the conclusions [or lack there of] he did though...
    But I think it is a really unhealthy or poor way to look the universe.
    Separating ourselves from the rest of the universe is probably the worst thing we could do...

Without an observer does the universe still exist? Does a tree need to "know" it is a tree in order to be a tree? No. Does a jelly fish "know" it is floating around in a massive ocean on a garden planet in the middle of space? Doubt it. haha Pure being has nothing to do with self-realization or observation.

Without anyone to concisely think of and create that universe in their own reality does anything truly happen? Same as above.

Could everything just be a figment of our imagination and our sense of reality? Yes. The world you live in right now is but an accumulation of conclusions and concepts you have fallen upon in your short life up until now...and most of us accept the things we have picked up in our short lives as absolute truth. Never questioning things. So the fact that you are questioning things shows an open mindedness to be exposed to a new way of thinking. That's excellent!

10. #10 Imprtracr1, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
    Could everything just be a figment of our imagination and our sense of reality? Yes. The world you live in right now is but an accumulation of conclusions and concepts you have fallen upon in your short life up until now...and most of us accept the things we have picked up in our short lives as absolute truth. Never questioning things. So the fact that you are questioning things shows an open mindedness to be exposed to a new way of thinking. That's excellent!

I agree 100%

For whatever reason, most people are too simple in their ways to question things. People for some reason like to live in their individual bubbles of ignorance. Some of us hate theses same bubbles and "pop" them. I suppose it may be easier for people with what I would consider a fragile mind of their own to exist and perpetuate their ignorance for their own comfort in their respective lives. But I have a problem with them teaching their ignorance to their offspring as wisdom or fact, when in truth it is often unsupported nonsense that hinders growth of these peoples intellect.

I honestly feel like this is a turning point in human civilization. Away from religion and toward scientific knowledge and increasing logical intellect.

At least I hope it is. Its not going to be easy, or fast. But our time is part of that turning point.

Then again, maybe it isn't. Maybe the oppressive way we have been taught to think and understand our world will continue until our extinction, probably as a result of our own catalyst.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in the energy that is labeled as "GOD" but thats it. The details of religion are overstressed, when the Message of life choices and how to hopefully make better decisions and open your mind and to love is the real point. Not the details, its the message.

11. Could everything just be a figment of our imagination and our sense of reality?

Based on human history........ Isn't it more likely that ALL religions are derived from exatly that. Human Imagination. Dominant religions come and go all the time. I mean hell we Have Scientology today that is recent and growing. Whos to say that it wont be the dominate religion in the future. Do they also need to force thier views via
    The Crusades as did Christianity and Islam? To force people into compliance with their beliefs? Is that what it takes? Because that is EXACTLY how we got to our modern religous status quo.

12. In terms of sheer number of cells, there are more bacteria in your body than there is you.

I think we're a scaffold to support bacteria, who are the real reason the Universe exists. What is that reason? IDK.

13. If everything were a figment of YOUR imagination, I wouldn't really exist.
    If everything were a figment of MY imagination, you wouldn't really exist.

So, if your theory is true, one of us doesn't exist.

I feel pretty real, so it must be you

Prove to me you exist, and I'll admit I don't :smoking:

14. It's precisely the other way around.... ;)

15. i dont know if this is so. i mean, beyond all this, everything is just these little radioactive particles with huge empty spaces between them. waves ,frequencies, and little spaces of nothing. can you really say that if my brain and no one elses brain is not there to interpret these waves using our own little particles with empty spaces, that it will still make a noise? i dont agree with you sir. because the tree, the sound, and everything else you do hear or see or even touch is an illusion

16. This.

The universe as we know it is unimaginably vast. We don't even begin to amount to the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

17. Wrong. It is not an illusion. It is a sensory representation of energy and the way that particular energy is acting upon matter.

18. ill buy that.

19. The queston to me basically assumes we are the only living (notice I don't say intelligent) organisms in the entire universe. Which is ignorant because the universe is bigger than we can even begin to imagine.

20. Can't assume their is sentient life elsewhere based on the size of the universe and the amount we don't know. Motion Mountain has a table listing the effects of slight adjustments to the size of the moon, etc, which have surprising effect on the habitibility.