What if religion disappeared tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Dean_Wizard, Mar 18, 2014.

1. What if one day everyone stopped believing in religion? Would people still use morals or not? What would be the point other than respecting others? And what if we find there is no God and that we really are just here for no reason other than to exist? What would you guys do?

2. People believe that religion is poison but it isn't religion that is the poison, it's humanity. Religion has never done anything.

Morals exist outside of religion. People will be about the same. If they got into disputes over religious matters, they would surely find other things to fill the gap.

3. It won't happen, it can't. If we stop worshipping a god, we'll just worship ourselves, maybe natures. We'll create rituals and define principles of living. We'll place restrictions and mould another religion. We can't live without religion. We'll worship good deeds, or perhaps evil deeds, we'll worship pleasure or sorrow. We'll eventually recognize god again in some form or another, it's a natural evolution.

I respect all religions equally, but I believe we should move towards a Tao-like religion. Not sure why I said Tao-like because there is already the Tao, but I believe that philosophy best explains what we are trying to understand about everything.

5. I respect the Tao and it's teachings are important to me, but I see truth in ever religion, just expressed in a different way. I feel that each religion is a key to understanding each religion. By that I mean that, learning of every religion, one realizes that each contains truth, the very same truth at that. The dharmic religions, such as Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism are most profound in my opinion, and the Tao is more a philosophy which becomes a religion when the knowledge is put into practice.

6. The streets shall run red with blood. Dogs and cats will start eating each other.

7. I agree. That's why I have stopped my intolerance of religion altogether because I have seen that they hold a common truth. I also believe they are right in their own ways because they are trying to interpret what they believe is how things are. I just like the simplicity of the Tao and that's why I said that.

Religion does not create bigots and extremism. That exists in the person. I have Muslim friends, Hindu friends, Atheists friends, etc. There are good people in all religions and ways of life and there are also bad people in those same places.

By walking my Buddhist path, I understand how difficult it can be to practice what you believe is the good path, so I have more patience for people who seem to be hypocrites when it comes to religious practice. Judgemental people exist everywhere, it isn't just religious people. Same goes for people with bad morals.

8. That's not a world I wanna live in

'Too blessed to be stressed'

9. Kind of impossible, people will still have there opinions and freedom to express them. 
    \nNot religious so I wouldn't care if it happened.

10. If religion disappeared tomorrow, it would reappear the next day.

11. Well abortion and homosexuality would have absolutely no arguments against them (not that the current ones are legitimate or stand up to any sort of scrutiny).

Israel and Palestine would stop their ageless and pointless bickering.

The Westboro Baptist Church would be nothing but a bad memory, as opposed to a bad shitstain that just wont go away.

Yadda yadda so on and so forth.

So yes, life would go on, and the world would be like...... .2% more peaceful, but 3000x more tolerant.

12. #12 iAmBetty, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
    How much different do you think it'd be?

Just curious

13. On a scale of 1-10 I'd probably say a 4 or so. But really who's to know

14. #14 iAmBetty, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
    Haha, I meant specifics. Think the Rangers wouldn't get any help?

In all seriousness though, I agree 100% with what Lux said. More tolerance from the average person, but the same amount of bullshit conflicts.

I think most people responsible for most religious conflicts aren't actually religious, but manipulating people who are. It's all about money/power, they just use religion as a cover. Eliminate religion and they'll try to achieve what they want through other methods.

15. I completely agree with this.

16. I see it being less tolerant

17. There will be no excuse for the dogmatic annihilation of other races. Come on now, our fictional economy couldn't survive without war. Lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

18. #18 TesseLated, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
    Unfortunately, human nature would still be there...looking for resources and sucking them out of the Earth. Greed.. Getting rid of organized religion would be a huge step in the right direction.

The rest everybody could work on-that's possibly just dreaming. I don't think we will make it much further (evolutionary wise) if it doesn't filter out.

19. Thing is, the reason why organised religion remains organised, and will continue to be so, is the people want to be part of it. To get rid of religion you'd have to change the minds of millions of people so they'd turn away from it, or turn towards something else. You could disband the idea, make it illegal, tell them it's gone, but all they'd do is continue the same thing under another name. When you have so many people claiming to be the same label, it has to be organised so as to deal with that.

I wouldn't mind seeing the whole Catholic splendour turned upside down, so that its wealth ended up with the poor, and the those who claimed to be its leaders, lived very modest and humble lives. But that ain't happening anytime soon, and if the masses don't see the hypocrisy in their church being so rich while so many suffer, well, they're not living in the real world anyway.

20. #20 Boats And Hoes, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
    Things woudln't change too much -- because the predominant religion would still be peoples own stomachs...