What if I used a Window Fan...(ventilation question)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Herbal Assault, Jun 23, 2011.

1. #1 Herbal Assault, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
    I was just sitting here thinking, What if I took one of those big window fans (box fan), cut a big hole in the top of the grow room and placed it there for an exhaust. Then taped together some garbage bags for ducting going out the window, would this work as an exhaust? If I was to do it I would be building a whole new grow room so proportions are unnecessary, I'm just thinking in theory.

2. Maybe if your using a low wattage light. What would you do about smell and light escaping though?

3. light wouldnt escape through too much with a good reflector on the lights. and not at all through the industrial strength black trash bag duct if done correctly. And I'm sure I could monkey rig up a huge carbon filter. I dunno about low watts, cause the box fan I have sitting around has a cfm of 2,000 and something

4. 2000cfm with no airflow restrictions, not while it's hooked up to a carbon filter. IMO your better off buying a centrifugal fan and calling it a day. Here's a 6" that's only $80- Valueline-inch-435-cfm-centrifugal-inline-fan-p-2260.html

5. #5 Herbal Assault, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
    well I have a grow set-up that's doing me fine now, Just have been thinking of another room to add without spending any cash and wanted to know if it would work in theory. Yeah it's 2,000 cfm before restriction but even with restrictions it's gotta have some decent air flow don't ya think?

Edit: Plus probably wouldn't even need a filter if I made it the veg room. Not that smell is even an issue, my grow is in the middle of nowhere.