What if everyone sees different colors?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bluekangaroo, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Imagine two things that are the color yellow.

Now, you and i and everyone on earth agrees that those two things, as well as every other yellow object, have the same color, a color which we have chosen to call yellow. Now, whilst we can agree that all those things are yellow, giving us a common definition of the color, how can we assure ourselves that the color that we see is the same for anyone?

What i mean is, "my yellow" could look like "my green", from your perspective, and the other way around for me, yet, i would never know that it's not the same for both of us, since we can't define it in any other way than by the things that are that color. Since color regogniton happens in the brain, there could be billions of different colors, although the wavelenghts are the same.
    Has anyone ever thought about this before?

2. I just started reading a book about that kind of thing. It's "Perception and the External World" by R. J. Hirst. It talks about how each person perceives their reality differently. Things like colors, size, shape, and distance can all appear different through different people's eyes.

3. #3 iDontSmokeBlunt, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
    No.. because if my "Navy Blue" was seen by someone else as "Sun Yellow" it would be very confusing to them if I was describing the color as dark, when the color they are seeing is bright.

Also.. color isn't a magical concept that could just happen to be perceived differently through everyone's eyes. There are large amounts of scientific evidence as to why there are different colors and why each color is, as it is.

Basic tenants of color from Wikipedia:

Therefore, your theory should instead state that people perceive light, not color, differently. As colors are simply categorizations of different measures of light.

There are also such things as Impossible Colors, which your theory of color perception would have to adhere to, very confusing indeed.

4. ^but as a child, that person would be taught that their sun yellow is considered dark

5. No.. dark and bright aren't colors and therefore wouldn't be affected by this theory.

If you're standing in a room with the lights on, it would be described as bright, and if the lights were shut off, it would be described as dark.
    No matter if the lightbulbs are green, red, blue, or yellow.

6. I really hate this debate.. to me it just doesnt make sense. If that were the case, if a guy bought a blue car but blue to him is yellow, when asked what colour car he bought he will reply yellow. But when he says this, he will be corrected.

Basically, the truth will be exposed no matter what over time.

7. That's only assuming that everyone except the car buyer sees the same colors.
    OP is suggesting that every single person could have altered perceptions of color.

8. Take for example the color of green, what we assume everyone sees as green. Close your eyes and imagine the color green, now imagine the color red. Now pretend if everything you saw was green, in someone elses eyes it was red. But since you have always seen this color and known it as green. You always say it is green, and so does someone else because they're perspective always referred to this color as green. The object in example is the same color, the sensation one perceives it as could be different but they still identify it as the same color because all objects to them look that way.

My blazed explanation.

9. we do...but we all love the same... ;)

10. Ya I have thought of this before and I know exactly what you are talking about. And to the person who said the thing about the car. If he saw the car in "our" eyes it would be yellow but in "his" eyes he saw it as blue he would call it yellow because his whole life he was raised that the color blue was yellow so he would say it was yellow still and he would not be corrected.
    I've always had a hard time explaining this at school.

11. Because this theory makes no sense. How can someone be a color-dyslexic? This is like arguing that 1 + 1 = 5, it will lead nowhere. You can't argue against science.

But on the flipside, I remember a episode of Derren Brown's TV series, where he convinced a lady that she had either more or less fingers than she actually had, and he also messed with her color recognition, he made her believe blue waa yellow or something like that. But I'm skeptical about all that, she could be a stooge. Even the best, actually especially the best magicians, use stooges. Check out Criss Angel and Dynamo.

12. Its funny, I swear its something in someones though process that lets them understand this. Ive tried to explain it for says to people and they still dont get it but then somehow I just understood it myself.

13. I'll try to explain it one last time, more clearly this time.

First off- The color we see is a result of stimuli in the brain from different wavelengths of light reflected or emitted from an object.

Now take an apple for example. The light from this object is say 600nm (red). When this 600nm light is detected by my eye, my brain then translates it into my perception of red.

Now when you look at the same apple, reflecting the same 600nm wavelengths, your brain also translates this into your perception of red.

What the OP is proposing is that maybe everyone's perception is different. We all agree that the apple is red because it is producing light that each of our brains constantly perceives as red. And since this stimulation of the light has always been called red, we all will call it red when asked what color it is. However, our brains could all be producing totally different stimulations from eachother.

Hope that one made better sense.

14. No, I understand the concept but what does it matter? It's not revolutionary. This has been brought up so much before, it's even a very popular observation amongst arrogant know it all 'stoners'.

No, I understand the concept but what does it matter? This concept is so elementary to understand but it still makes absolutely no sense. So what if someone unconsciously processes information differently but still comes to the consensus conclusion. I swear threads like these are killing GC.

15. I was just trying to explain it for those who didn't get it. Since it is kind of hard to explain, like explaining color to a blind person. But yeah, I mean it really doesn't matter at all.

16. I am so glad I came into this thread. Good read. Made me feel like people think they are really trapped in a Matrix world and are trying to find any way in which they are being deceived :p

17. I think it's an interesting concept, you might not, that's perfectly fine. Peace ;)

18. I still think that this is nonsense but when I saw this thread[forum.grasscity.com/general/1041594-trippiest-gif-ever.html] I was reminded of all this talk about color dyslexics. If you haven't seen it check it out.

19. Who's to say that we even interpret the world the same? Or that everyone sees a tree as the same thing, or a square as the same thing, or hears sound waves in the same way. It's all theoretical.