What if earth was seeded?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by greenterror, Sep 5, 2011.

1. What if intelligent life elsewhere sent key compounds for life to earth and other planets alike via asteroids? Consider how old earth is, better yet, man is relative to the universe. We are already capable of locating planets that conditions potentially allow life, do you think anyone else may have already found earth?

Personally, if I was a billion-year-old species capable of anything, I would plant life on other planets and just watch them grow.

• Like Like x 2
  2. we are a giant ant farm in an alien kids back yard

3. I'd place my bets on abiogenesis or this.

4. Expand on what you mean by seeded.

If you are talking about the 'gap in evolution' in which we gained a lot of intelligence in a short amount of time, then of course we are seeded. But as far as Homo Sapiens, I think they are indigenous to earth's evolution of life (whether life on earth was seeded or not).

5. Woah what?

We're talking about aliens being involved right?

6. I mean key components for life purposely being directed into earth on asteroids and such. Not necessarily that humans we're seeded, but that life was. Who knows, maybe the dinosaurs were killed out because no intelligent lifeforms were evolving, the conditions didn't allow for such and someone decided to throw a rock at earth to start over. Though I'm not suggesting that's what happened.

7. #7 dariolovesdeb, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    Aliens, gods, superior beings, interstellar chemical engineers... whatever you want to call the entities that tweaked the DNA's of the Homo Sapiens to give them a huge boost in intelligence/curiosity that allowed them to evolve into you and me that much faster.

Possibly, there are a few theories on this. Have you ever played SPOR? Or at least I think that's what the game is called; the one where you start as a bacteria and evolve your way up to an intelligent species. Well in the Dino age, you keep seeing these UFO's hovering and creating havoc. I know it's merely a computer game, but hey they had to have gotten the idea from somewhere, no?

8. Then they would have came back to check on us by now.

9. There is no such thing as a billion year old species. They would have changed as much in that time from what they were, as we have changed from cyanobacteria.

Still it's an interesting notion. Are there any meaningful implications?

Makes for some good sci-fi reading.

10. I'd say a meaningful implication would be the realization that you are the plaything of something you cannot yet conceive.

11. Yeah, not that I'm necessarily arguing, but would that really change our current position in the universe as a thin film of organic molecules on an unimpressive terrestrial planet of a very unremarkable star in the fringes of a mediocre galaxy?

I mean interesting, ya - but would it affect our aspirations? would it affect our perceived meaning?

And I mean, ultimately, it just moves the time and locale of abiogenesis in the Universe.

12. I think if we could prove that we were "planted" that it would have an impact on the way we live our lives. Maybe people would stop putting such an emphasis on the devil-errr... money, sorry.

13. I'm really not trying to pick on this idea, because some of my favourite novels are based on this concept... but even if we managed to prove it... how would it affect our globalized economic system?

I mean, I'm on board -- I'm not a fan of the inflated and bloated medium of exchange that we use.

14. No need for the disclaimers man. I have a lot of respect for you and know you're not trying to "pick on this idea."

I actually should clarify.

If we find out that we were planted, that means nothing.

If we find out that we were planted and are still being monitored, then I think people would revolt against this fucked system of oppression.

15. i'm inclined to think that seeding is a NATURAL phenomenon in the universe. we might even be aliens on our own mother planet re-seeded after the moon crashed into us about 4 billion years ago. it isn't hard to believe that some extremophiles survived in the shrapnel blasted out as they're much tougher critters than science ever predicted until they stared finding them in the boiling hot water of thermal vents, living for thousands of years in arctic ice or in the deadly toxic (to us anyways) acid deep in caves

that could go a long way towards explaining why life on earth started evolving almost as soon as it was possible.

asteroids are known to have organic compounds in them. (where did they come from?) and it's been shown that when those same asteroids impact, the heat & pressure actually creates even more complex enzymes.

i'm not as inclined to believe in intelligent seeding as the time and energy required to travel between even the closest solar systems is immense. but then again, who's to say an alien species didn't decide to send a package full of organics to us from andromeda 4 light years away to see what happens, but they would have to have had super powerful telescopes to see that it was ready for life to take root.

what if the earth is really the great galactic sit com?

16. What about such things as half billion year old species? lol

And if life was seeded on earth, I would believe some kind of aliens would've been directly involved with creating man. Either built from scratch or GM.

17. We're all test tube babies.

18. um... stromatolites are 3.5 billion years old and are still around making rock piles

19. Man, those are awesome.

I eat blue-green algae all the time.

20. :DOP you been smoking stems again?:D