What if chimpanzees could speak?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by new buddy, Jun 8, 2010.

1. No doubt in my mind we would be competing with them. They're about as intelligent as we were before we developed language. They use the same basic tools as we did (i.e, hammers, picks, pokers, hooks). If they developed language and not us, there's no arguing that they would dominate us.

2. They would say "I'm gonna tear off your face and balls if you don't get the hell outta my house." They are so much stronger than humans pound for pound. Idk why tho. Imagine if a chimp could use a rifle...

3. #3 M369, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
    Actually. I remember watching a program a while ago. I wish i could remember it. But it's foggy.

It was about an extinct type of primate which was more intelligent than a monkey, but not quite on human level. I'm pretty sure it had the same shape scull as a human, only smaller.
    It died out tho, thousands of years ago.

Please someone tell me i didn't dream this :p

EDIT:
    Oh and i'm pretty sure that the difference in scull shape proved that the brain had a part for speech potentially.
    I will sit and wait for someone to prove i'm not crazy now :)

4. ^ I would like to know also

5. Monkeys cant be anywhere near as intelligent as us. I went to a zoo once and seen this money straight jacking off on this tree, and monkeys also throw their shit at people. What type of intelligent being does this?

6. lol idk what would we do if we had no language to tell us what was right and wrong, we would probably do whatever the fuck we wanted.... like jack off on a tree and throw shit at echtoher

7. "i want some bananas"

8. While there are certain similarities, such as the tools they use and sometimes their actions seem to mimic the human form, it isn't like chimps have the intellectual capabilities that humans have, due to evolution over thousands and thousands of years.

If you took a human infant and a baby chimp and tried to teach them both to speak you'd obviously have no luck with the lil chimp, however he could grasp simple concepts that deal with memorization and so forth, they are in tune and have a certain intelligence about them (for a primitive animal), but they're not really smarter than humans nor do they have the capacity to pass us up...

9. i had a dream once i was trapped near this lake by hundreds of chimps that discovered the use of bows and arrows and spears and swords. Fucking terrifying they were setting up barbed wire fences and shit and patrolling the shores. fuck that

10. Wasn't that a simpsons episode?

11. okay apart from there obvious inability to actually learn language, what makses them any dumber than us? I don't know too many people who can do what a chimp couldn't do if they were taught how to speak.

Oh wait a human invented the combustion engine. Wait..... NO a human didnt create the combustion engine it was a combined effort from multiple humans which was made possible by LANGUAGE.

edit: and yah they would make awesome soldiers.

12. Could be Neanderthal man. There was a time when both HomoSapien and Homo Neanderthalensis roamed the earth. They lasted until about 25,000 years ago and we outlived them. Would've been an interesting world had there been another species with the potential for an almost equal intellect here.

13. Yes sir. I'm pretty sure that's what i'm thinking of.

Hate it when i know what i'm trying to say but i have a mental block and can't think of a name.

It's surprising how similar they would be to us. Imagine having 2 different intelligent species on the same planet. The world would be a totally different place.

This is what they would look like according to the link.

[​IMG]

14. I mean, they say a chimpanzee has the same capacity for learning and development as a 5 year old. Which is pretty impressive. They just have NO cognitive learning skills, it's not just language, it's thought process as a whole. They are really smart, but language isn't the only thing they lack, they lack the ability to form their language they just aren't evolved beings.

15. New born chimps and new born humans are supposed to be equal in intelligence and learning ability until age 2 I believe and then humans continue to evolve while chimps slow down.

How scary would a war with them be though? Primitive style, no guns and knives, etc., just sticks and rocks or hand to hand combat. They would MASSACRE humans.

16. In hand to hand combat the Apes would fuck our shit up. Most humans can't even throw a punch these days, never mind fend off a pound-for-pound stronger animal.

17. I would think they would say... "ey man, lemme get some of that blunt..., or ill fuck you up"

18. lol anyone ever seen this? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH6MU7-1Hzw]YouTube - Woman Attacked by Chimp Reveals Face for the FIRST Time[/ame]

a chimp literally ripped her face, hand and some fingers clean off.

i heard that this was caused by her giving the chimp anti-depressants, but i never read this anywhere credible.

19. Yes, that is terrible...

20. ^^^ I feel bad for that chimp. I know she gave it Xanax and I'm sure some other drugs also. I watched a movie on chimps in my anthropology class and there was a guy who has raised one since it was a baby. He watches movies with it and when he watches horror or violent movies it gets really upset and starts hooting and covering its eyes. He also taught it karate and it can go through a whole sequence of different kicks and punches while he holds the pads. I just found a clip of it so apparently there was also a National Geographic show about him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKy-paIY54c]YouTube - Karate Chimp Punches, Kicks and Jumps[/ame]