What happened to multiplayer...?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by dom12, Jan 7, 2013.

1. This and halo 2.

2. I'm only 50 bucks and an OS away from having a computer to game on! :(

I'm so close yet so far. I may just sell off some games I don't play anymore and see if I can find some odd jobs around town.

I never thought I could get into PC gaming cause of the price. Not anymore. My friend gave me a computer build that runs almost any game I play on ultra or high and it only will cost me 600 bucks to build (excluding software) but for that price, it's a steal!

3. Yeah sell games and random shit on craigslist and you'll have that 50$ in like two days

4. #24 Mogwai, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    I dunno..

I kinda feel turned away nowadays because so many games have incorporated things like XP/leveling up and stat tracking. That could be great, but most games do it in such a bland unoriginal way that you can play game after game and there's always major elements of multiplayer remaing the same, so games get old faster.

Plus the community seems to have really taken a hit over the last couple years, somehow. Less people talking on mics on consoles has been an issue with even the most popular games. And it seems like wayyy more people resort to cheap tactics to win than ever in a lot of games >.<. It gets old finding people exploiting whatever mechanism they can to get an edge. Maybe the fact more and more games center around doing well and leveling up/tracking stats contributes to this? I dunno.

And multiplayer is what makes the game in a lot of cases. People buy games just for it, and all they want to do is play casually. They don't care about talking to people or trying to really be competitive, they just want to play.

I don't see online MP getting better any time soon. The only thing I could see that could drastically improve things would be if developers could build a match pairing system that could identify who were the casuals and who were the competitive players and then paired them appropriately (not saying split the community, just incorporate this info into matchmaking logic). But that would be insanely hard to do well and after a month people would be exploiting that somehow too most likely

Or maybe you're just growing out of it kinda. Sometimes you just naturally lose interests in some things

5. just pirate windows itl save you i think like 100-200 depending on the windows you were going to buy.

i also recommend not getting windows 8 imo

6. This is truer than for most console communities, but even these communities come and go.

First, though, it is important to look at the fact that we are all growing up. The level of novelty a game offers you is what makes it fun. If there is no novelty (which can be due to a myriad of factors), you won't enjoy the game. Novelty disappears as we get older and get a better grasp of how things in the world work. Novelty also disappears as companies stop making art and start making formulated games. Hollywood has been doing this for a long time. This year so many unoriginal movies are coming out. We have remakes of Mad Max, Robocop, The Neverending Story, Annie, Die Hard, The Wizard of Oz, another Star Trek, Fast and Furious, Superman, Dirty Dancing, another Hangover... You get the idea.

This is partly the consumer's fault. We have been paying for, and showing these producers that unoriginal ideas don't sell. Every fucking year all of these idiots make CoD one of the top selling games, smashing previous records. YOU ARE PAYING $60 FOR THE EXACT SAME FUCKING GAME... EVERY YEAR! I mean literally, you aren't even paying for the programmers to make another title. They have been using the same engine with tiny updates since Call of Duty 2! That game came out in 2005!

So this is why multiplayer games suck now. We are getting older and showing the industry that we like to spend our hard earned money on remastered turds.

7. Sorry for the double post, but I hate people who are afraid of change.

Windows 8 is the only way to go for gaming right now, unless you want to go Linux. Linux isn't really good for gaming, currently, but Valve is working hard to port all of their games (which is a lot of major titles... Left4Dead, Half-life, Portal, Team Fortress, Counter-strike, etc.) so if that becomes successful hopefully others would follow suit.

My point is that unless you are going to go away from Windows altogether, you might as well get the newest version. I have been running the release preview since September and I have had no problems at all. This is the first thing Microsoft has done that might be good, in that they released Windows 8 Pro for $70, and that includes the 32-bit disc as well as the 64-bit disc. Gone are the days of paying $120 for a Windows upgrade disc.

So, just like with the games and movies, we as a community need to show these companies what we actually want to spend money on.

8. Good on you man. You should shop around online for your parts. It's not uncommon to find parts bundled with a free or heavily discounted windows OS. it's even more common around the Christmas season. And even more common when a new version of the OS has come out. You're sitting tight.

9. Streamlined Matchmaking has ruined multiplayer for me... gone are the days of specific server communities, chat channels, lobbies, clans, true competitive ladders... sigh Blizzard had it right with Starcraft.

10. You're probably just growing out of FPS

I used to play games like that all the time, now I can't stand it. Time to find something more engrossing

11. Dude trust me I try it all haha... I play sports games religiously and play everything from Skyrim to Guild Wars 2. Multiplayer is dying if we don't see something new.

And yeah PostPavilion I agree, streamlined matchmaking is fuckin stupid. At least give us the option to choose whether or not we want to choose that shit! Gears 1 me and my friends would just run matches for hours on our server and make friends and game with whoever else joined and booted whoever was cheating or bullshitting. I think that's actually a huge part of the problem, glad you mentioned it...

12. [quote name='"dom12"']Yeah we need something new for christ's sake! And tfgla that steam thing is sick, never knew about that til now. You just plug in an HDMI and play? Fucking sick!

Edit: I have a PC, legit no games' multiplayer hold my attention... DayZ, BF3, Minecraft did for a bit...[/quote]

Try RTS like sc2 or MOBA like league of legends or dota 2. I will also suggest mmo's i liked wow alot.

13. All the call of duties gave me days of multiplayer enjoyment

14. It's not that Windows 8 is bad, but I've read some stuff on the web saying that people have had compatibility issues between their games and Windows 8.

I, personally, would love Windows 8. But if 7 is proving more reliable from a gaming standpoint, then I'll use that till 8 has a solid foundation and little to no compatibility quarrels.

I've actually started looking at my school's tech store to see if they have a Windows key I could buy. I hear college campuses buy the keys by the thousands and sell them off at an extremely low price. So that may not be a very bad way to get a legitimate copy of Windows for the $100+ price tag.

The only thing that really sucks is that it's been so long since I've used Windows (fuckin' Macs... Ick) that I worry I'll totally kill my system haha

Although, I'm eager to try PC multiplayer on games like CS:GO, The Hidden, Trouble in Terrorist Town, GTA:4, play some MMOs on ultra, etc etc

Plus I hear CoD4's PC community is still bustling, so it'd be nice to go back and enjoy some of the good days of gaming again. Hell, I'm pumped to even give DayZ a whirl!

15. No game can compare to addictive ferocity of Gears of war 1 Mp not one. If i could ask anything of the developers its to bring it back to that mp form in the upcoming Gears of War Judgement. Never will happen though needless to say Gears of war 2 and 3 were not at all as fun for me as 1 due to the changed feel of the game. The halo like engine did not feel like gears.

16. Yeah!!!!! Gears 2/3 never had the feeling Gears 1 did and I just dont get why not. You can clearly feel it's different too... Why would they fix what wasn't broken?

17. you might be getting botred of video games.

18. I play sports games religiously lol.

19. yeah, either nobody talks, or its just pugnacious dumbshits calling each other faggots and saying "your mom!" all day long.

Like, Its not the arguing itself that annoys me, it's just that both sides of the arguments always just seem so fucking stupid. Like both of them are pretending to be retarded to troll the other, and haven't figured out that the other one is a troll too.

If I get in an argument with someone on general chat in a mpg, I always try to at least make my remarks funny, not just replying with "Your mom sucks a bag of dicks" and "stfu, n00b!" The lack of creativity is just devastating.

20. DOTA2 has good mutiplayer but hardcore community

I have keys if you want one just Pm me