What exactly is Trim?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by outdoorgrowman, Aug 28, 2011.

1. What exactly is trim. Im growing some bag seed. I got 1 3 footer n 2 2 footers and planing on making some qwiso when its all said and done. Done reading on how o make it n what to use but what parts of the plant is trim? Is it just the bud leaves or can i use fan leaves n the stock of the plant. Someone please tell me what parts of the planta exactly can i use?

2. Trim is the leaves, little bits of bud you trim off while trimming the leaves, and fluffy bottom buds that aren't even worth trimming. It's basically everything you "trim" off your buds at harvest time. I wouldn't use the stalks, but I'm sure some people do. I assume it would effect the flavor in a negative way.

3. People use EVERYTHING. Ive seen people use all leaf types, stems, seeds, and small pop corn buds.

"Trim" as its called is the leaves, hairs that you trim off your bud when you harvest. I know some people also call it "sugar leaf".

I personally use everything except the root. I got one plant right now that has small lil buds, Im not even going to smoke it, I plan on making some edibles once its ready. I will use the whole plant to make butter.

4. its like pubs. you trim around it balls and stuff right? just like bud. all the extra stuff pointing out you dont want. cut em. and only cut the leaves off. some people dig in for it. some people just trim the stuff that pop out, then after they dry, they give it a manicure (another trim pretty much).

pretty easy. your best shot at learning is experiencing it for yourself. gl!

5. #5 outdoorgrowman, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Lol what the hell u talkinabout pubs lol but thanks for the help guys

6. oh wow, just read what i wrote, i sound like a pure retard. >.> anywho, make sure you keep everything you trim :D they can be useful ;D

7. Ya planing on makeing seperate batches i guess. One batch with good trim n bud another with the rest of the plant :)

8. Trim is pretty much everything on the plant, minus the buds you would normally smoke.

You can use leaves, small frosty popcorn buds not worth trimming, and even stalks and stems. The stalks/stems tend to produce tastier, more-pure results, than the leaves which contain tons of chlorophyll, plant wax and other inert properties... stems are pretty much 'void' of everything but a small amount of potency and trace salts. A long stem-soak in Iso can produce much 'cleaner' results, than a short leaf-soak. Potency in concentration, tends to go in this order; buds, small leaves developed close to buds, small stems, large fan leaves, stalks, and finally roots (the last, I feel, are not worth processing).

9. #10 outdoorgrowman, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Thanks man! Definetly not gonna do the roots but im ganna use the entire plant(s). You think it would be better just to mix everythin up or do seperate batches with the different parts of the plants?

10. #11 Blizoblunt, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
    IMO, If you mix everything, then you will have even potency on your final results. If you do different batches, sure you might get some stronger batches, but on the flip side of the coin, you will also get some weak batches.

I would rather have consistent results than some strong and some weak, but that's my person preference.

11. Ya thats what i was think still got a mnth or so till harvest so ill weigh the pros n cons till then

12. I personally enjoy having several grades of hash, and 'hemp oil' handy, all at the same time. :) Even in our personal gardens we'll split the plants up, do it strain by strain, and even split their different grades of trim, into different categories.

And then, some folks, who may occasionally find themselves running low on stash, may appreciate saving the various results of their extractions aside for when the bud supply depletes, so they may begin with the lower grades of hash, and eventually build up to the more-potent or higher grade concentrates, as their tolerance to hash increases, and the stash itself dwindles. It keeps the experience from getting boring or 'stale', as well.

Smoking the same exact hash with the same exact ratio of terpenes, thc/cbd etc., just like smoking the same exact strain, day in and day out, when you're running low.. even if it was nice to begin with, but especially if it's of a lower-grade blend, you certainly do appreciate it those first few days, but believe me, it gets old fast!

But this is probably the most detrimental to your spirits, if you're running low, and won't have access to any variety in the meantime :)

13. Haha you are comparing trimming weed to manicuring your pubic hair? I suppose it requires the same kind of attention to detail but it is easier to recover from mistakes when trimming weed. Plus rep for making me laugh.

Sorry OP for jumping in your thread and not answering your question but that cracked me up.

14. Lol no worries