Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What ever happened to..?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Tha Professor, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Hey GC,

I've been browsing for awhile and am seeing a lot of posts claiming that Purple Haze is now an obsolete strain.

Mind explaining that one?
    Thanks, keep tokin'
    :bongin:

2. The orginal strain died out years ago. The only way that it may survived is if for the last 30 year some one kept cloaning it. If some one was breading it which is doubtful by now the plant would have different traits from years of breading. They have seed banks selling purple haze but its not the orginal strain at best a hybrid.

3. You're going to get a lot of conflicting information about this...

Basically - the legendary strain "Purple Haze" is not even known, for sure, to have actually existed. A lot of people think it was a common slang term for purple buds back in the day (much like how we call purple buds "purps" today).

There IS a new-ish strain that the seed bank named Purple Haze to capitalize on the whole thing.

Personally... I don't believe there was an actual Purple Haze. With all the old heads I know, I've never once heard one of 'em mention it. I've only ever heard the younger generations talking about it.

4. im with cottons on this one, good luck!

5. ive seen people post pics or videos on here and different sites of medical marijuana thats "purple haze". my guess is its just a cross between one of the purple strains and haze. for example maybe a GDP x haze
    again, this is just my guess on why its still around today

6. Hmm sounds more like a type of LSD more than anything to me.

7. That sounds more like a pandora's box thing. (the talking of LSD)

But i'd have to agree with the previous posts. I really do think purple haze is just a street name. I've personally have purchased 'purple haze' from a number of 'people' all being different each time. Either I know alot of DUMB people, which is most likely the case in my town, or it's just slang.

Either way, MOST purple buds are made by stressing the plant with cold during the last few days of 'flowering'

It turns most plants purple, you can also add flavors on the last day of 'flowering' to give your plant a distinct smell/flavor.

Though i'm not sure if what I just said are a good things. Personally I think people could have the same strain and make it look and taste/smell different and then call it something else. I'm sure that's happened to a bunch of different strains.

What you gotta know is the THC content of the weed that you're going to smoke. I recently went to a dispensary with a friend and the clerk was talking about the 'chocolope' strain that is supposedly filled with a 27% thc level.

I remember smoking some pretty good mids with a close family friend, closer to my parent's age than my age. He was telling me how much marijuana has improved over the decades, and on various documentarys I've heard that the THC content of regular street 'buds' of the 1950's - 1980's had a content of something around .5 to 2%

I'm glad that I live in the decade with hydroponics/areoponics and stealth personal grows.

I'm also glad that I live in a state that has progressive ideas, and might take this harmless weed out of it's years of prohibiton.

Ahh, just think of the tax revenue! But I digress, and am rambling. I'm sorry.

I think everyone should take the names of the strains with everything they smoke with a grain of salt. You should know what's good, and what's not based on what it LOOKS/FEELS/SMOKES like, not always the name. But then again this is all just my opinion. So take that with a grain of salt too. :)

8. Man, purple haze was Owsley's legendary acid. You crazy kids and your purple haze... :smoke:

9. #9 Cottonmouth 85, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
    It's not even really worth mentioning but of course it is a real strain.

In the 70's haze was a sativa taken from california to amsterdam. I don't remember the story perfect anymore but I'm pretty sure Sam the Skunkman (who invented skunk) took it to a'dam along with other lines and gave it to neville, and a few other choice breeders who were making the first seed banks at the time. Probably SSSC. It's the strain in nevilles haze, super silver haze, c99, jack herer, it makes the backbone of countless strains on the market currently. If it's from amsterdam and billed as a sativa there is a good chance it has some haze genes it it. It's in practically everything. Dozens of hybrids. Some have won cannabis cups. Just look it up.

As of a few months ago (perhaps even right now I don't know), there are 2 companies selling original lines of haze. What that means is breeders stock seeds. Old school haze. The type that produces 10 hemp plants and 1 dynamite female to breed with. Considering all purple haze ever was was a purple (colombian) pheno of haze, and that shows up fairly often. I'd say it exists in several grow rooms across usa, canada, and europe. It's very pretty too. Just doesn't yield much. Of course no real haze ever does. Takes 90- 140 days to flower and doesn't produce much unless it's a 15 ft tree. So that pretty much negates any chance of sale. It would have to be 100 dollars a gram or something to value it's production against other lines, and nobody is going to pay that. This is a growers private stash. Something they grow 2-3 plants of in a room full of big bud.

(pretty sure this pic belongs to CBF)
    [​IMG]

But as far as kids (basically anyone on GC) claiming they have purple haze. It's about as likely as them claiming they had sex with Megan Fox. Somebody is doing megan fox. I don't know who. So I can't be positive it's not them. But I'm pretty sure they are full of it.

I've never had real haze. Only nevilles haze.

10. It would have to be 100 dollars a gram or something to value it's production against other lines, and nobody is going to pay that. This is a growers private stash. Something they grow 2-3 plants of in a room full of big bud.

(pretty sure this pic belongs to CBF)
    [​IMG]

But as far as kids (basically anyone on GC) claiming they have purple haze. It's about as likely as them claiming they had sex with Megan Fox. Somebody is doing megan fox. I don't know who. So I can't be positive it's not them. But I'm pretty sure they are full of it.

I've never had real haze. Only nevilles haze.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.