What end of the seed goes in first?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Benchmadebob, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Which side of the seed goes in first i noticed that seed have obtuse and acute ends what one goes into the soil first?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. tap root down in the soil

3. Root down, seed up. I like to bury the seed about 1/4in from soil surface.

4. The pointed end goes up and the butt end goes down Benchmade, and this is a critical issue. The cannabis embryo is double over inside of the seed, with both the coty leaves and the root tap pointing toward the butt end of the seed. When the seed opens, the root goes straight down and the coty leaves are pitched up through the soil.

If the seed is planted upside down with the sharp tip down, then the root tap emerges pointing toward the sky and the coty leaves pointing down. The plant can reorient itself, but the energy stored within the seed needed to germinate the seed and get the leaves into the sun is just enough to do that. If the plant has to reorient the germed seedling, YOU Will have a mutant, slow grow, no grow= the plant that results from that seed will never have vigorous growth.

5. Use the paper towel method until you see a small amount of root coming out. Then just plant with the root facing towards your growing medium.

6. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: say what:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

the taproot goes into the growing medium .... keep soil warm and your seed will pop above ground a day or so...once it pops there may be reminants of the shell on the seedling (like your mom use to say....don't pick at it).

7. Thanks guys hopefully deer wont eat my grow this year.

8. if you plant it without germing put the lil flat side up.

9. i see contradiction here, one of you says flat side down and the other says flat side up

10. I put pointed tip down and have always had 100% success

11. tip pointed down.... seed pieces/future leaves facing up. Ive read journals where people did it upside down with no problems, but i wouldnt advise it.

12. #12 Doc-J, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    [quote name='"Benchmadebob"']Which side of the seed goes in first i noticed that seed have obtuse and acute ends what one goes into the soil first?[/quote]

It doesn't matter. Up, down, or sideways a good seed will grow and sprout just fine if given proper medium and conditions.

There really is no need to overthink such a simple part of growing.

13. ^nailed it!