What do you think of this for a first bong?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by tubro, May 21, 2009.

1. #1 tubro, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
    *BOUGHT MY NEW PIECE! SCROLL DOWN FOR AN UPDATE*
    Maybe this belongs in apprentice tokers. I don't know. I thought I'd put it here first.
    I'm looking to pick up my first bong on a budget of under $100.00 or so. I am planning on visiting a local shop tomorrow, but for my budget I am thinking I will probably end up with something in the $60-70 range with a slider

So tell me, I know it'll be crap compared to a lot of what is out there, but is it still worth it considering it's a starter piece? I don't want to break the bank on my first bong, but I don't want total garbage either.
    Please keep in mind, I am a new smoker and I have never even hit a bong before. So far it's been only joints and my glass spoon. So the other option that I was kicking around was to buy the cheapest bong that i could find (some made in China rubber grommet POS) and use it to see how I like using a bong. Keep using that for a month or two while I save some money for a nice $200.00+ piece.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Gonna have to take link down, pretty sure you cant advertise other sites. just an fyi.

3. 2.8mm is pretty thin. youd have to be real careful with glass that thin.

4. Too expensive. Trust me, for your first bong it wont last very long.

When I first started smoking I bought all kinds of glass, and ended up breaking thousands of dollars worth.

My suggestion is to get a cheaper piece, preferably small and single chamber, thats all you really need.

5. Nothing wrong with buying a cheap bong, but you could probably find a piece like that for half that price. I agree with what he said ^^.

6. oops my bad. I'll fix it.... sorry I'm kinda new around here :eek:

7. id go to a local headshop and get a cheap china grommet bong and just hold on to it for a month or so and see how you like it. you say you have never hit a bong before, so there is not rush to go and get an expensive one. just get a cheap one and see what you think.

8. get a glass on glass bong
    DO NOT BUY RUBBER GROMET
    if you buy a glass/rubber bong and you like it, you will immediately want a g-on-g

i got mine for i think $60 or $65. brand new off of craigs list
    this is what it looked like when i bought it

[​IMG]

9. chances are you are gonna like it(who doesnt dig fat bong rips) but i'd say buy the most affordable one you can find that looks cool to you, go to your local headshop. smoke on that until it either breaks or you feel the need for a newer tube and in that time save up for a sick ass GonG, some high quality shit with percs and such. don't be in a rush to get the sickest setup if you are new to smoking. glass breaks, simple as that, and it can take a little while of bong-handling to learn the do's and don'ts.

so yeah i'd say get a sick ass looking locally blown or china glass if you really want and see where you wanna go from there in a month/s or so

10. Look into HVY glass, see if you can get one. I bought my first bong a few weeks ago, only got the chance to try it out last night, and let me say....amazing. I smoked out of some bongs before, but they were all grommet bongs, and....wow. Glass on glass is so worth it.

11. go g on g, you can find some just as cheap as rubber grommet bongs
    my friend spent $90 on a nicer rubber grommet bong, but just last weekend another friend of mine spent $95 on a beaker bottom g on g bong with a diffused downstem, ice pinches and a 4 hole perc

12. for 60-100 bucks, you can't buy a dependable glass bong online. like everyone else has already said, go to your local shop and get something that is simple. single chamber, "no fucking around" kind of deal. pick out more than one within your price range and then begin a process of elimination. when comparing two pieces side by side, take into account size of chamber, overall weight, height, which one appeals to you more, etc.

if you have it narrowed down to two very similar bongs as far as height, choose the one that is heavier because it will be more durable and less susceptible to a noobie knock down (which WILL happen, even to the best of us).

good luck with your searching.

13. Save a little bit more and maybe look into EHLE. Great tube for the price.

14. I'd get a decent bubbler, unless you're dead set in wanting a bong. If you are I'd hold off and save a bit and get a nice bong. And if you're careful you don't have to worry about dropping anything

15. WooT!
    So I picked up my new piece yesterday and I couldn't be happier :hello:

I went to the headshop and the guy there was so helpful. Didn't seem put out by my barage of noob questions. I ended up getting a HVY 13" GonG. It really seems like it's gonna be the perfect starter piece, and still be a decent pipe even after I graduate to the higher end stuff. It smokes pretty good too, broke it in last night... :smoking:
    Got a good deal on it too. Picked it up for about $50.00
    Sorry no pics. my camera is broken.

On a side note, no amount of internet browsing can compete with a good local shop. If you don't have one, I feel sorry for ya. If you do have one, go there often!

16. nice price, my 10" hvy was 70. :(