What do you see?? (Def)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by wEEDhEAD1, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ok so in another post two members diagnosed as most likely potassium and magnesium def. I've done lost of research and I have Been thinking maybe iron/sulpher. But I really want to know what YOU see?

I watered today, the bottom two get watered differently from the top two. Just because I have a 6 ltr waterer and they get 3lts in. Anyway today watered, in Was 6.8-7(abit higher than normal today) and runoff was lowest 6.35. So I'm pretty sure my ph is in correct range. I will buy a cheap tester today just in case my digi semlos pen is off.
    Reason a ph problem is still in my mind is because it's mainly all getting lighter in the top to plants. A few leaves here and there in the bottom right and absolutely none in the bottom left plant.

Today is day 16 flower, I was gonna cut out the grow big last week but I added this week too just in case any N def.
    Today they get half does of all 3 ff trio, grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom. Defo the last grow big this time. i also added cal mag at 1ml a ltr. And will try to pick up Epsom salts today. Smoth sailing up in till now!! Thanks

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Always had slightly purple stems but some are getting dark. Also some are to tough to pinch of the plant. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Are these autos or no?
    Im using the same FF trio and having problems exactly like this myself. Not as yellow anymore cause I used epsom salts and bumped up the calmag SLIGHTLY since i'm in coco I use it for every watering; but the purple stems have gotten a tad better with new growth. The old really purple stems I dont think change back to green so pay attention to the new growth's stems.
    -Most deff staying tuned into this thread-

• Like Like x 1
  3. No not autos. Today's the second time I've given cal mag, I'm in bio bizz light mix soil.
    As I watered today I'm thinking folia feed the Epsom salt when I get home tonight?
    Are you in veg or flower? This is week 3 flower for me so I am fucking worrying the leaves are gonna turn colour way before there ment to.

4. Well Im doing autos right now and i'm in week 8 of flower (i count days from sprout, not sure if i'm supposed to or not). I'm an absolute beginner so I cant give you advice but i was told to just put in in the water solution. I didn't foliar feed and haven't in weeks. It a bit early to have it that yellow so I can see your concern. Mine is almost time to harvest so Im not too worried. Im curious to see what advice we'll see here.

5. If you changed anything about your fertilizing or watering routines, then that change is the likely culprit.
    The generic horticulture books I've seen say that nitrogen is important throughout a plant's life cycle, and that most people give too much phosphorous and too little N during flower.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. the only thing i changed was skipping a day of water. That seemed to boost my buds big time (?) weird since coco is always supposed to stay moist. fucker was bone dry and i was just too tired to water. Fixed my serrated tips from standing up too. weird but whatever.

7. One of my rookie mistakes starting out is not realizing how much nitrogen cannabis needs in flower. Your pictures are classic lack of nitrogen. Raise the nitrogen component of your feed by 30% or so. Maybe 50% for a feeding or two to correct the deficiency quicker. I will feed my plants the most amount of nitrogen in their whole lives from about 1.5-5 weeks in flower. After 5-6 weeks in flower I slowly taper nitrogen.

Most people and articles will say that nitrogen deficiency starts at the bottom of the plant. For the most part this is true but I've noticed these exact symptoms you have in early flower plants. I'll put them in flower and not raise the nitrogen feeding enough. After a few days they start to yellow on the top near the lights not the bottom. It's almost like light bleaching but I know it's not because I have plenty of light distance. I don't know if it has to do with the stretch or changing from less intense veg light to high intensity flower light but a plant in early flower that goes nitrogen deficient will yellow at the top near the light.

The slight brown areas are probably the start of phosphorus deficiency. Basically looking at your plant tells me it wants stronger feed in every way. You're starving it, not by a lot but that's what a deficiency is.

8. The best cheap ph tester. Better then a cheap digital meter because it is easier to use and more reliable. Never needs calibrating.
    www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Test-Indicator-8-Ounce/dp/B003Y3F34I

Add solution to be tested to a clear test tube. Add a few drops of indicator solution. Compare color to color chart on bottle. Simple and effective. Digital meters are post internet. This is how all the old school blades did it.

In soil you should feed at a target ph of 6.5 after you've added all nutrients. In hydroponic feeding like coco/promix you should shoot for 6.0ph as your feeding target after everything is added just before it's given to the plant. Some nutrients can move the ph around. Most hydroponic nutrients and supplements come at about 5.8-6.0 in the bottle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Thanks dude, as always tbone to the rescue lol. I watered today but didn't increase the grow big because I thought it shouldn't be going in anyway. 5/6 weeks really :O , I was going To stop after week 2! I'm glad you tell me this now. My ff friends contains

Grow big - 6/4/4
    Tiger bloom- 2/8/4
    Big bloom - 0.01/0.3/0.7
    image.jpeg
    Now sharing this picture I realise I haven't been increasing to what it should be. As there looked perfectly healthy up until now I've stuck to 5ml grow big and big bloom. Because reading up I see people saying never use full dose, shit :/.
    Today I gave 5ml gb/ 5ml tiger bloom(first time) and 7.5 ml big bloom. Also cal mag 1ml per ltr. It will be thurs/fri before they'll need to be watered again. Is it stupid to water again before there dry to add more nutes? Should I double my dose on the next feed, making it recommended for weeks 5-7 as By looking at the pic I'm still at minimum dose.Writing this I see my mistakes not upping dosages throughout, I've somehow let this slip and forgot all about this feeding chart :s..

10. I really hope that I cought this in time. The bottom left plant is a picture of health, the bottom right has a few pale leaves. The top two, I can't say it's got worse but I can't say it's got better( I know the green won't come back).. I picked two leaves of the top left plant. The phosphorous def starting to show. But as I started with tiger bloom I hope this will be the first and last. I've checked all the leafs and only found these two. The first was low down under the net. The only true yellow leaves I'm finding are under the net, I'd say up too there a pale green.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

With the added tier bloom n nutes I think I've techniquly given em 30% more n. I plant to give all nutes agin next water with some even more.
    If all goes right and they stop deteriorating you say I should add n up to end week 5/6. But how much?

11. Defiantly worse since my last post. Have put it down to under feeding(with the help of the forum). Today watered full strength comparing to the transition period of the ff feeding schedule. 10 ml grow big and tiger bloom and 15mlgrow big. Also added in a tablespoon of Epsom salt for 6lts. Gonna make a diluted solution and mist today.
    Looks like p def, but stared watering with the bloom nutes this week. Also under on the n so still adding n, and I will do for the next few weeks I think. Could aslo be sulphur hence switching to eps one salt instead of just cal mag. Wish me luck!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. Just foliar fed Epsom salts 5 mins before lights out. Any more wisdom really appreciated guys!

13. How are they doing? Still looking deficient in that last picture to me. Still nitrogen and magnesium mostly. I think some of your brownish spots may be phosphorus deficiency.

I wouldn't look for some mystery culprit like sulfur. If you consider how much sulfur a plant needs its one of the micronutrients. The plant only needs much less then .05% of sulfur in it's feed to stay healthy. I don't think I've ever seen someone deficient in that because it just takes so little if you have any kind of comprehensive feeding schedule you won't miss it. If you feed the plant molasses you can often give it too much sulfur. That's why you have to use the blackstrap low sulfur variety. Many of those still are a little high in sulfur for plant food.

The order of elements that a plant really consumes in large amounts goes like this. Phosphorus is #1 for a blooming plant. They can need up to 10-15% of their feed in phosphates. Potassium is slightly behind that at 8-10% of feed. Nitrogen is third in a blooming plant even though it's the first element in NPK. Plants only consume half or less the nitrogen amount compared to phosphorus in bloom. 4th is calcium, 5th is magnesium, 6th is iron.

Those are the first elements to look at when you're having deficiency.

I would expect in 2-3 feedings of increasing magnesium and nitrogen you would see some color come back to those leaves. If you've done that and remain deficient then the plant is unable to uptake the nutrients because of either a lockout condition in the soil from a buildup of certain elements or the ph is so off that the plant can't uptake what it needs.

If you suspect lockout you can run some water though each pot until you get significant runoff out of the pot washing the medium of excess buildup. This is better done with some of the commercially available flushing products like GH florakleen. They're quite cheap and much more effective then water. Florakleen will clean out buildup in one large application where water doesn't always work that well.

Make sure you know that you really need the flush and it's not just you not feeding enough still. If your plant is starving a flush won't help it. It will increase the rate of your color change.

• Like Like x 1
  14. It will be so difficult for me to flush under the scrig, I really hope it's not necessary but i will if you tell me you think it's needed. Your the most experienced person chiming in and I really appreciate it, a lot! Thank you

As I watered on Monday before your response I only gave them half dose still. So I only increase the dose (doubled to full recommended dose) yesterday.
    I used Epsom salts just to cover all bases, I though Cal mag adds got the cal and I thought this has got the sulphur but both have the mag :/.
    With the phosphorous and potassium I only started feeding tiger bloom on Monday at half does, yesterday there first time at full dose along with the nitrogen at full dose.
    image.jpeg
    The grow big is 6-4-4 and tiger bloom is 2-8-4.

In the last 3 waterings the the first had just cal mag 1ml per ltr.
    The second had the same plus full nutes at half strength
    The 3rd, yesterday had full nutes plus Epsom plus the foliage with eps one before lights out.

Watering will not be needed until Monday again most likely. What do you recommend? Should I have started seeing results by now with what I've done so far?

Also I bought one of the drop test kits. This is the colour I watered at yesterday.
    I noticed the ph pen playing up lately, maybe it's been malfunctioning! I tried to recalibrate but it wouldn't work properly after that so I'll just use these from now.

image.jpeg

pics just now

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The bottom two plants. Bottom left barly a sign, bottom right a little worse but not like the top 2

image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. Watering tommorow. I think there still lightening up?

16. Thinking to water with just cal mag added. Also thinging to Foliar feed with my fox farms grow big...?

17. @Tbone Shuffle you still around? They don't look like there slowing down.
    I foliage fed last night with a very diluted mix of Epsom and grow big.
    I think the only thing left to do is flush?
    Thoughts;
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

18. I'd say it's a mix of Ph imbalance and nitrogen. I was watering with rain water once and had a similar issue.