What do you look for before starting a guerilla grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by CatsLoveAcid, Jan 15, 2022.

1. So I grow inside but can’t grow outside in my yard, but am determined to grow outside this year. I was debating on getting the freakshow strain. For those who have done this before, what was your spot like?

I’d like to be able to just fill hole with quality soil, foliar here and there (nutrient and IPM) topdress and that’s it…was debating on ways to add camouflage too.

2. I was n same situation a few years back. I got a small green house in the off season set it up in the back neighbors on both sides of the fence asked about it and got use to it bein n my yard. Next year I vegged my plants inside for 8 weeks. Late August I put them in green house for flower stage with 10 gallon auto feeder. Only had to fuck with em 2x a week. Neighbors didn’t have a clue.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I would do that but I figure they’d smell way too strong no? I was thinking using the freakshow strain, I wonder if it smells less.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I mean YOU are the one that really knows your area and what you have to work with.........i am sure you have seen enough movies to know what to kinda look for.........just want it as inconspicuous and questionable and possible, where there aren't tons, or even tens.....of traffic.
    :passing-joint:

5. Oh of course… Was curious if anyone who’s successfully done this would chime in and say what they’re area was like.

My plan was to find woodsy area for example off a highway

• Like Like x 1
  6. South facing slope close to a water source.
    Open enough to get good sunlight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The hardest part is finding something open enough to provide the adequate light while also providing cover and ventilation.

I had to abandon what i thought was a great spot after clearing it out with a chainsaw. It was very thick brush that severely limited airflow and so i always had problems with budrot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Unless you are miles from the middle of nowhere, I guarantee you someone will find and take it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I actually do live near some remote areas. Plan is to sow a couple freakshow strain

• Like Like x 1
  10. I wouldn’t have considered that as much as I should’ve. I’m going to take a long drive, try to use google maps if need be.

I keep thinking woodsy areas off a highway may be legit. Definitely a challenge

• Like Like x 1
  11. I love growing but I’m not looking for a remote place to grow and with high chances of being caught

• Like Like x 2
  12. Last year I put 4 -7 gal cloth pots with handles outside .
    I manifolded them all and moved them around to get enough sun
    It worked out well as I'm in upstate NY and come Sept it's usually cold n wet, I was able to bring inside to finish .

• Like Like x 3
  13. Like has already been said, a south facing hill with good sunlight close to a water source would be a great start. Sometimes the water source will attract people though and it might be hard to find somewhere like that close enough to you, you could bury a water tank which would be hard to fill if its remote and not set up to catch rain water which would give it away. A dual sport motorcycle would be a great and fun tool to use to find some guerilla grow spots you could have it all decked out with luggage holding your water and such and have a legit reason for cruising around remote areas (i think this is the way to go :). I remember a spot a friend used that was just off the side of a road it had a steep drop off and hed hike down to the bottom and was able to fill his water tank from a water tank in his truck discreetly at night it seemed kind of sketch but it worked for him for several years.

One thing is when i am growing outdoors i would ideally want as much sunlight as possible but with a grow that you cant attend often, a little shade and wind block will help you not need to water as much (lots of mulch too). Aside from getting soil tests done some of the natural plants that are already growing can tell you about the soil, i want to say that stinging neddles was a good one to plant around and that maybe black berries like a similar type of soil too, however blackberries get moldy when they arent picked and get covered in WPM so not the best thing to plant next to but its something to look into.

Know what the area looks like year round, the sun will hit it at different angles at different times of the year and the plants growing in that area might lose all their green color that helps camouflage in the summer while your plants are standing tall for another month of flower. Get the plants well established before you put them out there, not some tiny vulnerable seedlings (not that it wont work id just plan for a lot to not make it if you cant keep a close eye).

Be ready for the logistics of transport, drying, trimming, its easy to get carried away with an outdoor grow. Be considerate of the land and neighbors. Make peace with the idea of none of them making it to harvest and have a backup plan with your indoor. Im no expert these are just some random thoughts it sound like fun i always liked to hear about guerilla growing stories from the old bootleggin days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ya this is just a for fun thing, I grow plenty inside already. I’d rather have it away from a water source and work a little harder getting water to the location. Plan is pretty simple… Was going to dig a pretty big hole and fill it with my own soil, thinking it’ll be more aerated then normal… A solid topdressing, some foliar spraying when possible. Never done outdoor since Jr high (which ended up not working haha,) but main concern is bugs and stuff.

One spot I’m looking at I would be able to ride a bike rather than drive which is cool. Was thinking about planting freakshow for extra safety, if not some in-house clones I have… If it turns out to be too much then forget it .

• Like Like x 1
  15. Depends where you live, i’m comfortable where i’m at so it’s different for everyone

• Like Like x 2
  16. When I was growing outside in my younger days I would usually walk over my future grow site well before the upcoming grow season just scouting to see if it was a good spot .
    You'd be amazed at how many times while well off the beaten path only to discover that others had been there prior to me .
    It got to the point that I would look for human occupation first and by that I mean anything that a person walking in the woods would drop or throw on the ground . Beware of areas that can be used for hunting . I always tried to locate a creek close to my desired area to use as a water source . I can't count how many times I discovered someone's old grow while seeking a spot for my own because someone left gallon jugs or bags from soil they hauled in .
    One year a friend of mine and I got on an abandoned railroad track located near his rural home and it was during grow season and we found a half dozen grow sites around that track anywhere from 1 or 2 plants to some larger grows with 10 or 15 plants and all we did was look for signs of people having been there and follow their signs and that led us directly to their grows. They were lucky that my friend and I were who we were and not rippers because we knew how much work went into those grow sites and we left them the way we found them. I generally had multiple access points to get to my grow to keep from leaving a path and always remember if you tote it in tote out dont leave anything behind that might draw attention
    People get comfortable going to and from if they think they're in a place where no one is around.
    I continued to grow outside but actually started growing on my own property until I started inside growing about 10 years ago my age finally started catching up to me and it was just to much of a hassle and my once very rural area was just starting to see some development and now there are way to many folks out here now .

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thieves are a real pain in the ass.
    Always having a backup plan to your backup plan
    Is a good idea

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. If you grow something on property that isn't yours, that in and of it self is a form of theft as well as trespassing. If your walking in the woods and find some wild blackberries and pick them, is that theft? Around here its next to impossible to get a plant to finish before it snows so there is no point in even trying to find people's guerilla grows but I imagine if I lived elsewhere, i would be inclined to sample some wild blackberries.

19. I got 90 acres to grow on...I don't need to trespass

20. Yeah if someone is stealing from your land thats a whole different ball game.

• Winner Winner x 1