What do you guys think? *First Ever Grow*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jedi Greenfingers, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Ok so this isn't my first EVER grow, I did have one grow before, about 10 years ago now, but I stupidly fed my plant nutes after about 1 weeks growth..every feed! Once it started turning brown I thought "Well, she's dying" and without (Probably pointlessly) trying to save her, she got thrown. But for the past couple of months, I've done my research, built a small grow bow, and for 6 weeks and 5 days I've had my latest plant in there. As you can see from the pictures, all these plants are different ages, the biggest of the bunch is my 6 week 5 day old Lemon Haze currently undertaking LST, she did have a sister in there with her, however I went away for a week and a friend over-done it with the nutes even though I specifically said they weren't being given them until I was back, that's where the second largest plant came from, the same friend planted a couple of seeds in a pot, watered them, and hoped for the best, now I also have a 2 week and 5 days old Cheese, notice that little fella at the back? Or the small on in the pot with the Cheese.. Remember I said my friend planted a couple of seeds, the 2 small ones were planted at the same time.. in the same pot.. sprouted 2 days ago.. One of them I transplanted in a different pot to see if she will survive when she's so young, the other I left there just in case.. However, in the next couple of days or so, when I see how the little one holds up, I'll be giving all surviving Cheese to another friend for his 6th (or so) grow then I can focus all my attention on my Lemon Haze. (Don't take my word on the ages, that's a rough guess as I didn't plan on a successful grow after my first attempt so I didn't keep track)

The box itself is made from a recycling box, lined with heavy duty tin foil, a computer fan on the side running of a 9v plug, and the lights are 2 old lamps running 1 x 4000k Spiral CFL and 1 x 2700k Spiral CFL, an old chandelier dismantled and attached to a 13 amp plug, 2 running 3000k Spiral CFL's and 2 running 2700k Ball CFL's, and an old lamp attached to another 13 amp plug at the back running a 2700k Tube CFL as opposed to a spiral.

So what do you guys think for a first proper grow?

**SIDE NOTE** After uploading these pics, I realized there is a mirror on the base of the box, this is accidentally facing up and is just there as the base itself isn't flat, I need to turn this mirror face down, ha!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Those are some lovely ladies! Best of luck to you, good sir.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Tin foil is not the greatest thing for growing. Creates hot spots and doesn't really reflect all that well. You'd be better off with white paint.

Your lights will be fine for them for a bit but you may want to add more for flowering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ok. As long as we're throwing out pointers...
    I'm seeing beads of water on your leaves. Always make sure that water on the foliage isn't nuted for soil (causes burn) and make sure that water isn't there when the lights are on. Drops focus light and you can get light burn spots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you kind sir xD

I was going to use some Mylar blankets, but found it easier to cut and shape the tin foil as I keep adding and modifying my lights, now thinking about it I see how much easier it would have been with white paint, and yes the reflectivity would probably be better too, however, since I'm using CFLs, heat spots wouldn't be an issue, definitely thinking about making a new box with white paint though, never considered that before, so thanks for the tip (-:

As for the lights, I'm constantly adding more, I just need to squire parts to build them, I started out with 2 when my original 2 plants were just starting out, then added 1 more after 1 plant died, then stripped a chandelier and so on, hence the tin foil being easier for me, I've also still got 3 more lights prepped for a build and a few spare parts too, but by then it will all be for 1 plant xD

Thanks for the pointers man, all and any are welcome! No this was just plain water sprinkled (well dripped) over my plants 5 minutes before the dark cycle, not making the mistake of burning my plants again (not am I letting my friend near them haha) but I never actually though about the water drops focusing the light, good thing I only sprinkle them on the dark cycle but if I thought it was getting too hot in there I could have very well done it on the on cycle in the future! So thanks man! Also changing my method not and using a spray bottle instead of a dropper! :L

• Like Like x 1
  6. I avoid misting unless the humidity is super low, and only when I 'm about to turn the lights off and thats with lots of air circulating. Also, kinda late now but perlite is your best friend. I stunted a bunch of seedlings thinking I could use straight coco but the extra aeration makes a huge difference to the roots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Avoid misting unless nessecary, got it ;) ha! I'm actually in the process of making my own soils and nutes as I've got a handful of bag seed for a few experimental grows, as I said further up the thread, I'm considering making a whole new box, so may use the one I'm currently using for my experiments, and make a third box for males when needed, as I want to crossbreed, then use the males with everything from my females (after the bud is stripped) to make some decent hash or oil, theyre hard to come by around my area..