What Do You Believe and Why?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Dr McJiblets, Feb 2, 2014.

1. What do you really believe and why? NO JUDGING.

Think about it. What do you really KNOW? In your experience. No religious category (Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, etc.) unless you whole-heartedly believe it and every aspect of it. You may, however, choose parts of religion/s that you truly believe.

Let the games begin!  :smoking:

2. What I believe is in a Principle of Creation, or God if you prefer and that we are all manifestations of that principle. It is within us, we are within it - Everything is a unity. I also believe that there is truth and pathway in every religion with their dogmas aside. I do believe in finding inner peace, meditation, chakras, ying and yang, reincarnation, and stuff of that nature. Lasty (to sum it up sorta), I believe that you create your own reality. You have the influence to make your own decisions and I believe that you can only do so from internally and not achieve it from external forces.Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I did not go to join Kurtz there and then. I did not. I remained to dream the nightmare out to the end, and to show my loyalty to Kurtz once more. Destiny. My destiny! Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself - that comes too late - a crop of unextinguishable regrets. I have wrestled with death. It is the most unexciting contest you can imagine. It takes place in an impalpable grayness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around, without spectators, without clamor, without glory, without the great desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat, in a sickly atmosphere of tepid skepticism, without much belief in your own right, and still less in that of your adversary. If such is the form of ultimate wisdom, then life is a greater riddle than some of us think it to be. I was within a hair's-breadth of the last opportunity for pronouncement, and I found with humiliation that probably I would have nothing to say. This is the reason why I affirm that Kurtz was a remarkable man. He had something to say. He said it. Since I had peeped over the edge myself, I understand better the meaning of his stare, that could not see the flame of the candle, but was wide enough to embrace the whole universe, piercing enough to penetrate all the hearts that beat in the darkness. He had summed up - he had judged. 'The horror!' He was a remarkable man. After all, this was the expression of some sort of belief; it had candor, it had conviction, it had a vibrating note of revolt in its whisper, it had the appalling face of a glimpsed truth - the strange commingling of desire and hate.

4. I feel i believe in a handful of loosely tethered ideas... barely held together by the constant spinning of the universe around me...
    I believe in gravity... yet not so much as to be unable to escape it from time to time...
    I believe that i have no idea where or when i may find myself next...
    I believe that among the greatest negative influences...lays the idea that there is just one way...
    And worse yet is the idea that any one group has found it...
    Whatever it may happen to be this week....

I believe humans in general would be better off without television...
    Believe there are entire worlds out there which i refuse to participate in...

There is more but i do not believe you wish to hear/read all my maniacle ranting...

As for why....
    All the things i have lived .... have seen.... have been... tell me ...show me... help me to feel... what it is i believe....

5. I believe in everything, for everything is everything and everything exists.  We live in a universe of infinity, everything is real and everything is all.  You are everything, you always have been everything, and you always will be everything.

6. I believe in a creator and that creator began time. If it doesn't exist, then i created this world around and i should be able to change its programming by willing it. Obviously that has yet to happen, sooooooo Yea a creator and beginner of time.

7. I may not be able to change everything round me by will alone... tho motivated/inspired by said will... i can progress into action which does force change upon my surroundings...
    I also believe that tho i may not change what is by will alone... i can change how i perceive said shit round me... thus changing how i react to it... in effect by will creating the platform for action...
    I believe one should not rely entirely on that self will... yet should not count it out of its place in the picture either..

8. But in the end what do we count on to move on in life...Our willpower.

10. yes and no....
    I don't completely disagree .... just that said willpower is only a part of the picture... granted as important as each other variable... yet still not the whole on its own...
    The will may have great and far reaching effects... it may inspire all manner of greatness... or at least it has the potential to do so...
    Some never awaken the will...
    Some ignore it all the time ..
    Others yet...wouldn't know who they were without it....
    I believe this will to be a tool.... like any other... one which either get used regularly.... or left to rust in the bottom draw...

11. I was born. did things and will die.

12. Hey Dr. McJibs, I keep trying to post in this topic but I have no idea what to write lol, you started the topic... so what do you believe? 

13. Well there are times when will can get in the way of a person trying to get ahead in life. Sometimes its better left in the drawer.

14. I believe humans were God-like in the mind once, but humanity has fallen and as time goes on and the Earth becomes over-populated, humanity will continue to fall.

15. I seriously don't know what to believe in anymore.

16. I believe that we dont know alot about anything "sacred" or to do with faith. No point making assumptions about the after life we will find out in time. Most people turn to religion as they are scared of death, i cant see the point in worrying about somthing that is inevitable.

Good point. 

I believe in what I can see, hear, and feel. I believe in evolution but I don't think we have it right yet. I believe there's something organizing all of this. I think that maybe God is a silent observer. Maybe we'll get all of the answers someday. I hope there's a hereafter. I'd like to believe there's a place I'll go where I'll be eternally happy and without pain, but it feels like a stretch. I "feel" like there's something looking out for me because, ultimately, I have a pretty good life. I was a firefighter for ten years. The things that I saw and experienced there could easily support a theistic point of view as well as an atheistic one. So, I don't judge one way or another. Because whether you're a die-hard bible thumper or only guessing, we don't have a lot of proof of anything down here.

I believe that science will lead us closer to God and answers. Science seems to have the luxury of being able to correct itself when an idea is refuted. I don't have any use for organized religion anymore. I can't believe in something that refuses to change when it's proved wrong time and time again. Not saying religion can't change. It just seems to do 180 degree turns too often. 

And, if I'm wrong, and I get to heaven or whatever and I'm asked, "Why didn't you believe?" I'll be all like, "You left us in the dark."

It just seems like religion has caused more conflict than brought more people together. Religious wars seem to be "My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend."

I guess I'm more torn from my religious up-bringing because we're studying evolution and natural selection in biology right now and the evidence is pretty solid. 

Agreed.

But, isn't time an invention of man? Does time truly exist?

Think about it. (went through this in philosophy, great class) What of nature? Does it care about time? Our planet is hundreds of BILLIONS of years old. Nature doesn't seem to care about time nor does the universe. 

How much is one billion?  It's common knowledge that a billion has three more zeros than a million, and is one thousand times a million, but comprehending its enormous magnitude is often misunderstood.  To appreciate the distance of one billion light years, the concept of one billion people, or the value of one billion dollars, let's try putting this number into perspective.

To count to one thousand, counting one number every second continuously, it would take 17 minutes.  Counting to one million at the same rate, it would take 12 days (counting nonstop, day and night).  But counting to one billion would take 32 years! 

I think time is a concept of mankind. It doesn't exist outside of our minds.