What do the governments of Rome and America have in common?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LSYouTiger, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Answer to that question is too much.

Aristotle is a genius. He knew how government worked and how it would always work.

I've studied Rome early in World History. I was shocked to find out how closely America is following Rome's path to failure.

This article I found is great. How Excessive Government Killed Ancient Rome
    Long article but these are the high points.

Funny, American government is oppressing the expansion of the private sector.

Private business, trade, and commerce were so great that money needed to be added because there was not enough. Not created to pay off debts ;ike we are doing which leads to high interest rates and inflation.

Did the US not get off the gold standard. Are pennies created in 1982 or before not worth more than pennies from 1983? well they are because pennies from 1982 and before is 95% copper, 1983 or older pennies are 97.5% zinc with thin layer of copper. Clearly we have good money and bad money is our system.

Once Our currency is no longer the World Standard, we are broke and the only thing we will have protecting us is our army... or that is what we will believe.

We spend so much that we can't pay for it. So what did we do, had the middle class pay for it. Today, we can buy on credit so that which we could not afford, China and lenders picked up the tab. We don't have significant threats of invasion, so unlike Rome, we can afford to cut spending to the army without leaving us vulnerable to attacks.

We have seen to follow the Roman path so far so why can this not happen.

We clearly are in a crisis. 16 Trillion dollar debt is not something a government can live with. We can't afford to spend the way we do, so we do something similar to Rome. We just print more money. Since our currency is used as a world currency, all we have to produce is dollar bills. This is also devaluing the dollar which makes US to produce more dollars to make up its loss in value... do you see the cycle. The consequence will be similar to Rome's... inflation.

It's amazing how people do not like change. They will only change something when survival is in jeopardy. Rome didn't change until the survival was at stake. The US wont change policies until its survival is at stake.
    Government price controls do not work. Just another reason why government shouldn't interfere with economy.

Tax burden must fall equally. Tax cuts for rich is not equal. People can find holes in policies that allow them to be exempt from taxes. Those who can't find the holes get stuck with more taxes.

Now we know where we are headed.

2. An Emperor.

3. Economics is their greatest weakness.

4. all this talk about taxes, but we do realize the USA has some of the lowest tax rates in the world, right?

5. Ssssshhhhh, don't destroy illusions!

FYI, Canadians pay all the taxes for everyone in the world already. :p

6. We print money, we don't need to tax as much. I bet we still spend the most

7. We both have kicked serious ass.

Indoor plumbing.

good at sports

passion of fire

awesome folklore

and the list goes on bro.

8. Ahhhhh freshman year. I remember the first time someone pointed out to my stoned ass that there were parallels between the US and Rome.

Lemme guess, they hinted to you that we were going to fall just like they did right?

Now it's chicken little time.

9. Borrowed prosperity, both aggressively devalue their currencies to maintain their warfare welfare state.

10. I don't see any evidence to prove them wrong.

11. its impossible to have evidence of something yet to have happened, lol.

12. Well we know what happened to Rome.

13. #13 myoung7189, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2011
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmQtpFGd4L4]Judge Napolitano on Rome - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds to me like your allowing the normalcy bias to interfere with the facts. America's endless debt, wars, and inflation are unsustainable. If our government continues the same policies that caused the Roman Empire to fail; we will suffer the same fate.

14. lol..... thats one half of the comparison ...:rolleyes: Obviously it applies to the united states lol.

Anywho, rome still exist has the vatican which has more wealth then people could imagine.

15. They're both run by Goldman Sachs? :confused_2:

16. I wish I had gold man sacks.

Wow, that was extra lame. I apologize to the Universe. :)

17. Rome =/= the Vatican. Vatican does have a shit load of money, but that is the church and its a separate country. The organization has survive since Rome, but they are not the same.

18. They'll teach you the rest before you graduate, hopefully.

19. Why wait, prove me wrong.

20. We are entering an era of a multi polar world. It will not longer be a fall of one power in favor of another but multiple powers will (hopefully) balance each other out.