What do people think about gun rights?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by HeadyNugs420, May 26, 2010.

1. Well, they do if the people want them to.

2. That would be true.... in a Democracy.

3. Which is what I was always told America was, what it always seemed like it should be. :(

The Republic tends to get a little inflated.

4. What do you mean by inflated?

And technically we're not a Republic anymore. Since the Constitution is largely ignored we're a defacto representative Democracy, we elect representatives to vote on our behalf.

5. A gun is a form of self-protection, and while it is true that guns can also be used to initiate aggression, I don't think the purpose of arming the citizens is to start wars, it is just to make sure that people are able to protect themselves, because the government can't. There are not nearly enough cops for the citizens present in ANY state, look:

Bureau of Labor Statistics - Police and Detectives

You can be a pacifist and own a gun, or would you rather die than kill someone who's breaking into your home to murder your family?

6. What if "the people" wanted to abolish free speech? What would you say to that?

7. The people can do whatever is right by them.

8. If criminals have guns and I don't have a gun, then I am at a disadvantage, right?

9. America is not, nor has it ever been, a democracy. It is a constitutional republic. The people's will is carried out through their elected representatives, but there are some rights that can not be taken away and there are certain things the government is not allowed to do because doing so would violate the constitution, which is the supreme law of the land.

This of course is not how the system works today, and we have more of a corporatist, militaristic, authoritarian clusterfuck run by bankers. Still, the above was how the American system was designed and was the basis for many modern world governmental systems. A true democracy would be a nightmare anyway. Jefferson referred to Athenian style democracy as "tyranny of the majority" and he could not be more correct. 51% of the country could vote away the rights of 49% of the country with no problem. In a constitutional republic (where the government actually follows the constitution, what a thought!) vital rights are protected for all individuals.

10. At this point 73% of the American population own guns (legally). Personally I think it's a good thing cause it keeps the government from blatantly fucking with us. Imagine 200 million pissed off Americans packing heat marching towards the White House, I don't think they want that. People have the real power in this country, they're just too busy working to use it.

11. I will give up my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands. I love to shoot guns. I don't see what banning them would do anyway except make our murderers more creative. I also want to be able to protect myself in the event of a revolution,zombie apocalypse, enemy invaders, etc. I wish Illinois would pass a CCW law, because I would like to have that option if I ever needed it, and I hope I never do.

12. If every American owned a gun crime would drop drastically. Just look at the rural areas of America why do u think crime is so low there ? It's because nearly everyone in the rural areas own guns and know how to use them. Criminals know if they go and try to break into a house where the homeowner also owns a gun there is a good chance they will be shot dead on the spot so they go for the easy targets the idiots that wave their right to arm themselves.

The Founders wanted the population to be well armed for the simple fact that they didn't want the government to have the power to control the population. That is the very reason I feel there should be no weapons the government has access too that the population doesn't have access to because they entire point of the right to bear arms was to put the population on equal grounds with the government. That includes the big weapons too like .50 cals etc... even tanks and such should be available to private citizens. Nukes are a little more tricky that's why I feel they should be under the direct control of local governments instead of the federal government because local governments are the closest to the people and in general adhere to the will of the people. That way if the federal government ever gets out of control the population has the means to fight the government on equal footing ie the federal gov cant threaten the population with the nukes because the population is the ones in charge of the button.

13. Crime is NOT low in rural areas...there are much fewer people, so yes, of course you're going to have fewer homicides than in cities...however the per capita homicide rate in rural areas is actually higher in many cases then in urban areas.

14. Not only do i believe that a person has the right to own weapons, i also believe it is their duty.

Think of a situation where you would need to have a gun handy in order to protect you, your loved ones, and your property. Now ask yourself this will the cops would show up in time to prevent this situation from happening? The answer is no, they simply show up afterwards to make a report on what happened and go through the motions of procedures that are meant to give the illusion that we are being protected.

Since the police are not able to protect in these situations, the duty falls on the civilian to prepare themselves for these situations. In my opinion its downright un-patriotic to expect the police to do this job for you.

15. #36 H2O420, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
    Like Star Wars, man. Palpatine infiltrated the senate, manipulated Anakin, and took over the Republic.

If everyone has a say (besides just with representatives) it would be much harder to manipulate everyone from the top because you have so many people to appease.

The Republic has given us the two-party system, which makes it much easier to generalize broad concepts and utilize media to control popular opinion.

I think an actual direct democracy would be much more chaotic, and thus harder to manipulate, while still allowing the people to have their say.

16. Bestiality rates are also higher in rural areas.

17. It is like Star Wars, thus my avatar, Obi Wan, Knight of the Old Republic. Smokin a fat one. :smoking:

The only reason our system sucks is because the state is unlimited in their power. The Constitution was intended as a shackle, but it has been cast aside in return for promises of FREEEEEEEE!!!! stuff. But nothing is free, we're being taken for a ride.

Since congress doesn't coin money anymore, and they don't have to tax us to raise money, the government is omnipotent. This attracts the corruption that has plagued our industries.

The Federal government should stay as it was, and the states can tool around with direct democracy. Do you really want the majority of this country dictating your life from DC? Because I'm pretty sure it's mostly religious conservatives. :eek:

As was said to Franklin, "What have you given us?" and he replied, "A Republic, if you can keep it".

18. I've owned many in the past.

I just sold a Springfield 1911-A1 (from when they still blued the barrels) when Obama took office. Sold it for way more than I payed since everyone thought guns were going to be banned, well everyone on the right I guess.

Right now I only own hand me downs.

I never understood what an assault rifle would do against a tank, jet, nuclear submarine, cruise missile or artillery though so I never saw a big deal about gun rights - donning flame retardant blanket for this one.