what could go wrong with this car next?

Discussion in 'General' started by docleary, Mar 11, 2009.

1. i have a '92 honda civic, bought it with 182k on it. since then i've had to fix/replace the following: the rear wheel wheels, fuel pump, fuel filter, all new gas lines, and a new gas tank. mind you, the gas tank and all the fuel system was replaced less than 4k miles ago.

anyway, she's been overheating lately. yesterday was fucking bad, i was worried the whole ride. then today i went to start her up she starting shuddering and shaking, so much that i decided against going anywhere. i personally think its the distributor cap/rotor and ignition wires, but of course i'm going to check the plugs before buying that shit.

anyone have any ideas, in case its not the dizzy or wires?

2. Maybe realize that a car with 182k miles on it isn't goin to last very long?

You could definately find a newer car for cheaper than it would cost to do an engine swap when that things motor blows.

3. check radiator, coolant?

4. thanks, but it actually has 197k on it now. i'm not looking for a new car, at most, i could get another car like the one i have now.

i just don't have the money, and to be honest, i love my civic.

radiator is fine and so is the coolant level.

5. #5 MandalaSmoker, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
    My friend's SUV did this and it was the fuel filter.Sorry I can't give any more advice on this.Not really a working on car type person.I could go look on an auto website or something.You could try calling an Auto part's store also and ask them or try the dealer/manufacturer.

Hope you get your ride working better.He had an air intake system on his though if that make's a difference.

6. thanks man, i checked an old forum i used to spend time on (hondahookup.com) turns out a guy had a similar problem, but he didn't mention anything about it overheating. his solution was replacing the dizzy and wires.

7. What kind of condition are your radiator hoses in? Anything leaking out from your block? If so it could be a water pump failure....

I'm thinking its your thermometer sensor on your radiator could be bad. Alot of cars have a thermometer that senses how hot the engine is and then starts to cycle the coolant when it gets to a certain temp.

8. check the radiator hoses and radiator as that 1 guy said, also, maybe your cars timing is off. Whens the last time you had a tune up on your car?

9. never :(

the hoses are fine, i thought about the thermostat but usually when that goes the heater will blow cold air, and it blows hot.

the shuddering i was talking about i would describe it to feel like something is off balance, and thats what leads me to believe a cylinder could be misfiring. i have noticed a loss of power, especially in 2nd and 3rd gears.

10. Well Ill say this. The honda civic 40 cylinder motor is one of the MOST reliable motors you could possibly get your hands on. If you do regular upkeep on it, it WILL last damn near forever.

My uncle had a honda civic around the same year as yours that had over 500,000 miles on that bitch!

If you think its misfiring then once of your pistons prolly seized up.

11. i really only need this motor to last until late spring, because by then my 2.2L will be ready.

it just sucks, because i re-registered it the last day of feb and it cost $100. i think i'll just do the dizzy and wires. if thats not it, fuck it, i'll do the 2.2L early, without some mods i was gonna do beforehand.