What color are things in the dark?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Havok Se7en, Aug 20, 2011.

1. What color are things in the dark?

(correct me if I'm wrong with any of this)

From what I know, color is basically light in different wavelengths being reflected off objects. The way I am imagining objects without color, is by imagining that everything I see is a reflection of light. But what do these objects look like without the reflected light covering them in our vision?

Just a thought after taking a hit. :eek:

2. Since there's no rays reflecting off of them, they technically wouldn't have a visible color. But the color is really defined as the ratio of what the atoms inside the object reflect/absorb, so they technically have the same color as they would if the rays were being reflected/absorbed.

As far as what color are things in the "dark" as experienced on earth, they have the same color, just less of it because there's less light to reflect.

3. Interesting. As far as I know the color of an object is the light that gets reflected.

I don't know the answer but I'd think with zero light there would be no color to reflect. I'm not saying the object is clear without light.

I see it as that red chair over there isn't really red, it's just made up of material that reflects certain shades of red light.

Either way I don't think you'll ever know what the "real" color of something is because without the light you can't see it.

4. I'm thinking of total darkness. with no light to reflect off of the objects to show their color.

5. Interesting thread man :D gives me some new perspective

6. I represented both scenarios.

Color is what the object(atoms) would reflect. So it is the same color. You just can't see it.

7. Color technically doesn't exist until the information is registered in your mind.

Color and light outside of our heads are waves of electromagnetic energy, colored and illuminated as much as radio waves, microwaves, UV light ect, since they are technically the same exact thing just existing in different frequencies.

Depending on what frequency which the ray of energy is traveling will determine the color that we decode and experience in our consciousness.

Color is merely our mind decoding information of energy outside our head, if we could experience reality beyond our limitations of our senses (if you can call it a limitation) there would be no color at all, not even black because black is a perceived color as well.

So to answer your question, technically the color things are in the dark is black because color only exist in your mind, and if you see things to be black then that's the only color it is because you mind creates it to be.

8. i think you should explore the negative effects on your cell camera i think thats the closest there is idk im blazed

9. You asked what color they are, they would be the same color as they would be if light was on them.

If there is no light on them, they have no color.

10. If there was no light, the object would not exist.

11. objects change color with light, thats why objects can appear different colors with different types of light. nothing really has a specific color.

12. So you are saying I don't exist while im sleeping on my bed at night?

13. #13 ALongFlight, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    There is still light if your eyes are closed. I was saying if light ceased to exist, so would everything else aside from, maybe, dark matter.

14. here is a perspective, what color is iron?

did you say its like metal or silver?

what if i told you it was red?

15. yeah, you're totally right man. this thread is over. in absence of light, objects technically have no color.