what causes hermies?!?!?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Ace420, Nov 20, 2012.

1. SOOOOOOOOO its annoying seeing what seesm to be nonsense about hermaphrodites. We all know what they are but arent they genetically predetermined? I keep seeing people saying "light leaks cause hermies" or "changing light schedules makes mhermies" or "flushing the toilet counter clockwise causes hermies" etc. While I assume most of these people say "hermies" because they dont know how to spell "hermaphrodite" I wonder if anyone actually KNOWS DEFINITIVELY what ACTUALLY causes hermaphroditism in marijuana plants, if any outside stimuli actually do?

2. anyone?!?!?

3. Both..some phenos are more likely to herm depending on recessive traits..and a normal plant can also herm if stressed enough as a survival mechanism

4. stressed how? and what is the motivation behind stress and hermaphroditism?

5. I assumed phenotype was the only answer but I wnat to know how deep this rabbit hole goes :)

6. Light leaks, letting them get too dry too often, any type of excess damage like insect or nute deficiency..stuff like that..breeders let their plants go past harvest to make them herm and use the pollen for making females and they do this with all strains not just ones prone to herm

7. why would light leaks cause herms?

8. "use the pollen for making females"????

9. I meant feminized seeds but yea

10. i thought feminized seeds were made with chemicals??

everything YOU say should be explained in detail sir :)

11. Actually ive just read a lot they do but from friends who have had them said they just reverted to veg so not sure on that one..have had 3 different strains herm once from being out of town and not watering them enough though

12. now what made you think they hermied from not being watered instead of genetics? THIS is something im trying to better understand. Whats the reasoning why a plant would become a hermaphrodite becasue its dry? or theres some light at night? etc and how do we know its not just genetically predetermined?

13. Well ive grown probably 20 different strains and never had herms till the time i wasnt watering them enough so thats what i figured it was..could be some are more prone to herm and then the stress makes them herm..i do know some do herm no matter what like my friends bubba kush from greenhouse hermed twice from different batches of seeds and didnt have any stress on them

14. so lets talk about the "why" then? what is the reason a plant says "im gonna reproduce with myself!" I would think the only reason would be waiting in flower for too long> any thoughts on why underwatering or ambient light would have an effect?

15. Well i dont think there have been scientific studies on it yet but my guess would be that enough stress makes the plant think its going to die soon and cant wait for a male to pollinate it so it does it itself for species preservation

16. well, ill assume we arent talking about lady gaga and that were talking about cannabis plants :p but all you need to know about hermaphrodites is There seems to be a large amount of disagreement on this site as to what causes hermaphrodites. I will attempt to dispell rumors, using my experiences and research. Recently on this forum someone told me the ONLY way to get hermaphrodites was from light leakage. I told him that is completely false and asked for proof. Needless to say the thread died there. This leads me to ask, where is everyone getting this misinformation? My answer, old publications. Alot of people will read books on growing from the 70's and 80's. I have read a lot of books and some of these type. Almost everything in the old books have been proven wrong or proven to be insufficient, this is normal as science will always progress. Its like if you were learning science from a book that is 40-50 years old, its outdated. The reason I know for sure this person was wrong is because of my experience. I had a girl turn hermie recently in my ghetto grow. One thing I did do with that grow is make sure there were NO light leaks what so ever. EVERYTHING else was terribly set up. I got this herm on the only plant that I had LSTed. I figured this was the reason it happened. I know I had to do lst on this plant because of its size. I tied the plant to 2 stakes to make it trellis up like you would with grapes. It kept raising and I kept pushing it down. This is how I believe the hermie started. There were 2 other females that budded fine in this grow. So what causes hermies? I am no plant genious, but in my research I have found the answer to be all types of stress. Now lets take into account what my dad always used to say. Too much of anything can kill you. This is what I mean about all types of stress. Plants can undergo small amounts of stress with seemingly no problems at all. However, I have learned that when you over do it than you get hermies. This is why I think hermies are also connected to over thinking. This is all about evolution, all living creatures have evolved to survive and propagate their species. Humans love sex, why do you think it feels so good? If a female plant is left in flowering too long she will grow male pre-flowers (referenced from my feminised seed article by soma). This is to help keep the species going by pollinating the females at the last minute. That is the last resort for your plant. If your plant thinks its going to die soon, than it will become a hermie. Light leaks cause hermies because your plant is fooled into thinking the season is almost over, and they need to propagate soon. Almost all things people say cause hermies do cause them in large amounts. Be gentle, be patient and be efficient. Your plants will probably not herm out. I am interested to talk to people who have had hermies under regular conditions. I have heard that some plants are prone to it. I want to note that yes, under normal conditions it is possible depending on strain. Thank for reading, I haven't decided what I will blog about tomorrow. QUOTED FROM THCTALK

heres some random additional information:

a few people on the forum seem to be a bit confused about what an hemaphrodite is or more accurately what is being called an hermaphrodite as far as cannabis is concerned.
    an hermaphrodite is a plant or organism that carries genetics of both sex , in mammals this is a defect and usually non functioning. although there are certain species that carry both sets of organs and their sex is determined by the ratio of the sex in the immediate community.
    this is not the case in cannabis,when you see a plant that carries both pistilate[flowers] and staminate[pollen sacks] the plant has triggered a survival trait.the survival trait in cannabis is triggered by stress, this can be induced both naturally when temps go too extreme,light schedule is not consistant or even damageing the plant.it can also be induced by chemicals like giberilic acid[a hormone] colloidal silver or silver thiosulphate.the cannabis plant is not a true hermaphrodite because the pollen used from the stressed female will only produce female seeds[more info herehttp://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?9192-fem-seeds].using this knowledge has given rise to the fem seed industry that has grown in recent years ,although this has always occured naturally in the wild [more so in tropical sativas].cannabis is an anual plant and an unpollinated female may produce pollen sacks at the end of its life cycle when it is left unfertilised.this is the survival trait in action as nature intended, the unpollinated plant is trying to pass on its genetics to the following season.so if you do not want seeded bud you treat the appearance of a hermaphrodite the same as an unwanted male,if you are going to try and use the pollen to make female seeds you need to be aware that the easier the plant reacted to stress the more likely this survival trait will be passed on strong to the next generation and you may produce hermie prone offspring.
    if any one wants to add to this feel free.wert

17. Stress causes hermies..Take 2 clones.. Grow one with care and abuse the other with improper light times and lack of water.. See what happens.. Oh and yes if you take the pollen from the hermie and pollinate the good clone you should get feminized seeds..

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. There is actually no such thing as a hermaphroditic plant. Cannabis sporophytes can be bi-sexual and their resulting gametophytes which are completely seperate plants may be "male or female". This can happen from unstable genetics caused by genetic predisposition or environmental pressures such as different stresses, in order to ensure survival. I've seen some cultivars (as the word "strain" is reserved for bacteria and some fungi and viruses) produce male gametophytes due to high levels of potassium in weeks 1 and 2 of bloom. My friend's "grow recipe" causes his purple og to produce male gametophytes yet i havent seen one seed. And they obviously were cut from the same mother plant. Moderate feeding will limit your problems.