What Car Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by frr, May 5, 2014.

1. Alright so I've been driving 92 honda accord. Got in accident and ruined back axel. It was the car my parents gave me. It's totaled now so I was thinking just buy a new car. I have 3,500 I've saved up over the last year. I really don't know much about cars. I didn't even know what to do at my accident. Don't know what's gonna happen either. I caused the accident so I have to pay up.

What should I get that is SAFE, good mph, and Manual. I was thinking of an old corvette but my folks said my insurance would be extremely expensive because I just got finished highschool last year, it's also a sports car, and I am a guy. Doesn't really go well together so I don't think I'll be getting a corvette. I'm as smart as a rock when it comes to cars.
    Ideas I have are
    -ford focus sedan
    -Honda civic

2. $3500 can get you plenty of good stuff:

(Stick with the Japanese brands for reliablity - You really don't want a Vette in your price range!)

I have owned over 25 different cars from almost every make and model...lmk if you have any questions.

Honda Civic Si
    Nissan 240sx
    Acura Integra GSR
    Acura RSX
    Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    Infiniti G20

3. #3 frr, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    I like the Acura integra only one on craigslist though. Would a 93' go for 3000? It's in nice condition. Post pics if you want

4. A corvette isn't safe. And you'd get a horrible vette for 3500. You can get a miata for 1500 and run 11s 1\\4 miles for another 2k.

5. can you tell me a little about the 240sx and how much it was?
    gonna be needing a new car soon lol

ayy partybus

6. Geo Metro. cheap to insure. safety is up to you. 40+MPG without trying.

7. To much for that car and year 2000 is the most unless it's swapped with a B18C or h22. For 3000+ You can get a 94+ integra LS. A GSR would run 4000+

8. #8 frr, May 6, 2014
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1399360973.535110.jpg
    Trying to get a used car from Craigslist. Not buying from a lot or dealership whatever. Don't want to pay the monthly blah blah stuff.
    This is the details though. He didn't post miles drove though so that's odd

9. These cars are usually beat on man and you don't want someone else's beater.

Get a Buick.... can't beat those gm motors man I got a 03 Lesabre with 135k miles on it and it's strong as ever and I got it for 3500 bucks a few years ago. Great cars and it's good on gas.

I had a 98 cadillac deville when I was younger. Such a sweet ride.

10. #10 SiberianShepherd, May 6, 2014
    Well I am a Honda guys so I can help you...
    The b20 motor is a swap that comes out of a Crv. If you live in California you will not pass smog because you cannot put a SUV engine in a car. 
    The Transmission is stock(better geared then the b20 tranny anyway) I can't tell you on the spot if it has LSD but to find out jack the the car up and hold one of the wheels if it spins the same way you have LSD if it spins opposite you don't.
    I also have no idea what a "master clutch stage 3" is.... I never knew you could get different stages of master cylinders... So that is odd to me. He might have meant stage 3 clutch but who knows. 
    Im surprised you don't see more Honda's on Craigslist. You should look at the 1988-1991 Crxs and civic hatchbacks my personal favorites. 

11. There are thousands of Hondas but I was looking at the cars 1st reply recommended and I saw this. Thanks for the info, gonna go check out what you just told me. My sisters been driving an Acura legend and it's been great to her.

12. Could anyone explain salvage title and clean title.
    Salvage is where the car was bought back from insurance and repaired right?

13. Yeah that's when a car is totaled like yours is and someone buys it back and fixes it.

14. You can get a salvage title from a lot. 
    Say someone steals your car, guts it, and you get it back, it is now salvage due to theft.
    Water or fire damage will also cause a salvage title
    or...
    Buying a car from a junk yard will automatically come with a salvage title even if it was never in an accident.
    Also with salvage title cars they are automatically worth half value of the same year car/model with a clean title. 

15. How much should I be paying for a 91' honda civic. With a clean title ?

16. How many miles does it have? What model is it?(Dx,ex,si?) I need a little more info but in general unless swapped with a b series motor they go no more than 1500 maybe 2000 if it has nice wheels,clean paint, and overall great condition.

17. #17 frr, May 6, 2014
    Probably an EX and at least 130,000 miles. There's more of the DX but I really do not enjoy the look of those.
    Edit: nevermind about the EX I'm not sure. I'm gonna do some more looking bc both cars had salvage titles. What about the other models like all through out the 90's? Or should I stick to low 90's and late 80's. Specifically a 95 EX?

18. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1399407277.369250.jpg
    Worth it ?

19. #19 SiberianShepherd, May 6, 2014
    88-95 were Honda's best years imho. They are all  cheap to  buy maintain and get excellent mpg and can be fixed up to race cheaply as well. 

I wouldn't buy it because it already has a 2 step on it which basically means he raced it so  who knows how long the engine will last. Try to find one as stock as possible. Then work your way from there

20. buy an UNMODIFIED car. if you buy someone elses work, you buy someone elses problems. a civic with any mods would mean it was probably beaten on. try to find a car from some older people. dont rely on CL so much.