Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What can I do to help my state to allow the use of medical marijuana?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by tokyosnow, Oct 11, 2010.

1. I'm currently living in NY and I was wondering what steps I can take to help.

2. Write your congressmen, hold a rally, stand on the street corrner yelling, shit i dont know this is america, voice your opinion! :hello: :hello: :hello:

3. haha i dont think standing on a street corner yelling would help lol. Im looking for legit ways because I think my granny needs it and I'm sure she wouldnt take it if it was illegal.

4. Have you researched for groups in your area trying to get MMJ laws in place? Check that out, because that would be where you want to start.

If there isn't a group rallying for MMJ in New York, you could start one.

Also, you could write your congressman and tell them about the medical benefits of MJ. You could even email them Granny's list stickied at the top of the forum (hint hint ;)).

If your state allows it (idk the laws in other states) you could start a petition to get a measure on the ballot (it's called an initiative) for next election.

That's really all I can think of, but I'm sure there are things you can do to help the cause.

Good luck! And I applaud you for getting involved; we really need it. :hello:

5. First off, EDUCATE YOURSELF! Unless you know what you are talking about, you can do more harm than good! See the first link in my sig? Click it and read! (Try reading just the news articles to get you the most info in the fastest way!) Just for the medical uses, cannabis should be re-legalized!

For a broader education on the uses and history of cannabis, read Jack Herer's book- "The Emperor Wears No Clothes"
    Jack Herer - Chapters

LEARN ABOUT THE MEDICAL NECESSITY OF CANNABIS- With 1 out of 3 Americans getting cancer, diabetes at epidemic levels, and adding in all the people who will get Crohn's, fibro, migraines, Parkinson's, MS and a host of other conditions, most people will eventually have a valid medical reason to use cannabis. A lot of us are struggling economically and could stand to keep a bit more of our money in our own pockets. Home-grown cannabis can provide a safe, inexpensive alternative to many over-priced, side-effect laden, pharmaceutical drugs.

BOOKMARK A SITE WITH ALL YOUR POLITICIANS' EMAILS AND SNAIL MAILS - There are several to choose from. And when you write a letter, send one email, then send a printed copy via snail-mail! Your opinion will get counted twice that way. ;) You don't even need to spend a lot of time composing- just do something like this-

Dear ______ _______

I strongly support the medical use of cannabis. Here is just one reason why you should, too.
    (insert a "hot issue" news article from my list- like this one on MRSA )
    Marijuana Ingredients May Fight MRSA

Sign your name as a registered voter and you're done! Don't be afraid to do a form letter and "spam" mail your politicians- they do it to us all the time! Turn-about is fair play! :poke:

EDUCATE those around you! (You don't have to have a return address on letters- you CAN remain anonymous if it seems wise.) Does "Aunt Sally" have fibro? Send her a few news articles about how cannabis can ease her pain! Got a "know nothing" doctor? Send him a few abstracts every week to get his interest. Mayors and City Councilmen often end up making local decisions about if and where dispensaries can be located- it's easier to educate them before it becomes an issue! And don't forget the clergy! They can have a lot of influence on their congregations. I'm sure you can think of other folks who could benefit from a little cannabis education!

MAKE COMMENTS IN THE ON-LINE NEWS
    Hundreds of people read those articles and there is a lot of misinformation being spread! Present the facts calmly and logically- and back them up with studies from the list. All the prohibs have are lies!

JOIN UP WITH OTHER ACTIVISTS! You are NOT alone! Cannabis users form one of the largest voting blocks there is! Wherever cannabis is on the ballot, it is more popular than ANY candidate! (You might even want to remind a few politicians of that fact. :p )

VOTE! The elections are coming up. Being in California, I'm voting YES ON PROP. 19 (it isn't perfect, but it's a start).

Together we have POWER!

LET'S USE IT!
    :yay:

Granny :wave:

6. One Word!!

V O T E ! ! !

7. you could write your congressman and tell them about the medical benefit of MJ.
    also mentions the name of city where MJ is already Legalized.

8. 1. Register and vote for the one(s) you think are honest & good.

2. Write your legislators - email address is found at each state & federal web site

3. Go visit your legislators, get to know them and them you. Talk to them about medical value, tell them about the reduction in suffering. Tell the it is damned cheap and it treats many medical conditions - it will lower health care costs.

4. Be friendly but persistent. Ask them what they want to know and give it to them. Keep a file for each office and each staff member you talk or interact with. Follow up with phone calls and letters and emails. Note little things that might persuade the legislator to vote your way.

5. Repeat this with each legislator, till they see things your way. Convince them that you are an asset and not and ass! Keep up till you reach them.

6 Teach - I mean - demonstrate this to others. Multiply yourself.

7. Organize and get in the vote, canvas neighborhoods, speak out about this medicine - especially if you ingest it as smoking has a stigma. Replicate yourself.

It is kind of like getting each muscle to work after long disuse. It takes grit to do PT. Get it done.

clinton

9. Go to the forum on Legalization and Activism, you can do a search on New York, also see if you can get links/info on NY orgs.