What can I do besides smoke

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by creativedesigns, Apr 24, 2009.

1. I get really high anxiety at work and all I can think about is smoking when it does happen (3-4 times a month). Is there any vitamin that would chill me out or anything?

I do not really want to start taking zanax or vallums or anything like that.

2. Heyy welcome to the club of Anxiety man.

Suffer from it myself, have this phobia of dust and smoke (ironically) and I work at a concrete plant...

Anyways, Try to close your eyes and take deep breaths (probabally during a coffee break or lunch) and think of relaxing situations you have been in while smoking, and try to bring those feelings back with you when you "snap" back into reality.

3. Valerian root is one of the best anti-anxiety supplements. It contains Valerenic Acid, which is similar to Valium. It's kind of sedating, but I have anxious friends who have no problem taking it during the day.

Some calming/muscle relaxing nutritional supplements are calcium, magnesium, and the B Complex vitamins. Nearly everyone's deficient in mg., which can manifest as restlessness, sensitivity to noise, anxiety, muscle rigidity, and about 40 other symptoms. Same with calcium.

Other "calming" herbs include kava kava, passionflower, hops, catnip, and lavender.

4. #4 hotfudgemoney, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
    You should look into GABA and St. John's Wort.

I found that Valerian root left me feeling dry/mentally dull after taking it for a bit. I prefer GABA > Valerian root. They act in similar methods and produce similar effects.

5. Kava does help...uhm..obv benzos but you don't want em and they are shit for you anyway. Gaba someone mentioned. However, why don't you see someone? A good psychologist and try to get to the root of your anxiety. I know it's hard...but it's worth a shot and is probably the most rewarding in the end.

6. well... what really helps me is breathing in and out of a straw it may sound very wierd but it happens to help the breathing when your hyperventalating...

definately dont start Xanax Or Valiums or Klonopins.. addictive... :smoking:

7. All of these herbs and such that you can get to reduce anxiety... ( I know this is probably stupid...but) Do you smoke them? Or make your own vitaimins out of them?

8. Kava Kava is usually made into a drink. I happen to live near a nakamal, and have been there a few times. They have a website in which they sell the kava making kits and ground kava to do it all at home. Also there are kava pills but I have read a lot on how they are shit, and they actually use the leaves instead of only the root. There has been literature on kava being liver toxic and the only instances I can find of liver toxcitity is that of people using the pills that were made out of poor quality kava and used the leaves as well. Natives in the south pacific drink this shit all the time and are totally fine, so I say..make it at home and drink it. It does taste fucking terrible, it's like drinking bitter, sour like dirt water. Immediately you will feel your mouth numb and your throat numb depending on the potency and quality of the kava root used. It may make your stomach feel "funny" but not nauseas, it will take a few cups of it to feel it. It's similar to being drunk but without the sloppiness, a relaxing feeling. Also, the more you use kava the more effective it is as it causes a buildup. I have seen regulars at the nakamal who drink like 4-5 cups and look like zombies lol....either way, natural and safer than benzos by far.