What are you must-have nutes?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by OneDayJD, Jul 6, 2011.

1. I've been reading and reading and reading and am honestly a little overwhelmed but I'm getting through it. I've been doing research on here for a couple months. Planning my first grow in about 3 weeks. I'm on a budget as a grad student living on student loans. I want to grow organic, or as organic as possible without being cost prohibitive. It seems like feeding my plants can get pretty involved and expensive depending on how in-depth I go. So basically I want to figure out what nutes and amendments/additives I MUST have to get through my grow. Obviously problems may pop up along the way and I may need to rehab my plant(s) with other things, but I want to have all my basics so I don't get a sick plant and have to wait a week for it to come in. So what say you, green thumbs? What do I absolutely need at a bare minimum (as far as nutes go) to get through a grow? I'm talking from germ all the way through harvest. FWIW, I will probably use FFOF for my medium and would like to use it as is without adding 15 different things. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
    -T

P.S. This place has been invaluable. I've been to a lot of other forums re: cannabis, and this has been the most welcoming and informative. So, thanks!

2. I used General Hydroponics FloraSeries (Micro,Grow, & Bloom) on my first grow and my buds came out awesome. on my 2nd grow (current grow) I amd using Advanced Nutrients 3 part fertilizer as well (Micro,Grow, & Bloom). What I am trying to say is any basic 3 step fertilizer solution should b good enough to get u from seed thru harvest.

3. Thanks so much, Kitty. Sound advice. Another question...I've been looking at feeding charts and they are broken down such as at week three use 1 tbsp/gal of Nute X, etc. Now, my question is if I am using 1 tbsp per gallon of H2O, does that mean I need to put that entire gallon into one plant for it to get all of the nutes on the schedule? I know that's a silly question. But it's one I haven't found the answer to and I need to know! Thanks.

4. None really but if you want good buds then flowering nutes

5. Alfalfa meal
    Kelp meal
    Earthworm castings

Those are my 3 essentials AFA nutrients

Dolomite lime
    Azomite

Round everything out.

I use more than these, but I could do a complete grow with just this stuff. Actually, I could live without the Azomite since kelp meal has plenty of minerals and trace.

Wet

6. No. Not at all. You will end up wasting water and nutes. The whole idea is to get the soil wet/damp not drown/soak your plant. Treat her like a cactus if that makes any sense. Just a little drink when she's thirsty. The roots can only take in what's there..they can't jump out of your pot and start drinking the runoff.

7. VERY GOOD question playa! I really wouldnt know how to answer that but I will give you my advice. (I always thought of this on my first grow too) On my first grow I had 8 plants and was feeding them with a 2 gallon watering can.I would do this twice to feed all my 8 plants so I would use a total of 4 gallons on the average feeding day, which was 1 time a week. I would divide my feedings to bout 1/2 gallon to a liter for each plant. (more or less depending on how each one sucked up the water and was growing) I never gave a whole gallon to 1 single plant on 1 single feeding cuz i didnt wanna risk overfertilizing and stunt/kill my plant. There is really no right way to do it but there is PLENTY WRONG WAYS to do it. Just look at ur plants and research a bit on the strains u are growing and you should b fine.I hope you found this a bit helpful but I am a NOOB as well barely on Day 45 of my 2nd grow. I would also ask this question alot to myself on m y first grow and wanted to help you out a bit.

P.S: I also followed the feeding charts (GH FloraSeries Feeding Chart) on my first grow! That shit b a LIFESAVER for a NOOB!:smoke:

8. Awesome, thanks. So what you're saying is, if I am supposed to use 1 tbsp/gal of nute X in week one, I'll mix up the nute in the ph balanced water, water the plant with however much it needs (if it needs more that same week, water again, if not, leave alone), and then if I need a different nute for week two, basically throw out the elixir from week one and mix up the new stuff. Right? Thanks!

9. Fantastic! That's what I was thinking.

10. Exactly! Remember those feeding charts are general guidelines. Best way is to get to know your plant. The leaves will tell you what she needs or doesn't. Also, what works for one strain, may not work for another so..get to know your plant

11. Check out the pics I had left in my laptop from my first grow, It is in the ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS under "My First Grow Ever".

12. Since you are using FFOF you could take a look at the FF trio. They definitely work well together. If you like them you might want to also look at the solubles. Just my
    2 cents.