Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What are the harmful effects of marijuana?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by NoobLonerStoner, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been researching marijuana for some time now and I've come across many studies promoting the benefits of marijuana use, but I can't find very much of anything that's too current or that uses scientific method or that has an adequate sample size, etc. So, I was wondering what you guys have found to be the harmful effects of marijuana.

Now, I realize that it has effects on your short term and long term memory and I have seen a satisfactory amount of information on this, so I'd appreciate it if we could just look at the other negative effects.

2. there are few cons of cannabis but the biggest is probably inhaling combusted plant matter. Vaporizing solves that issue. I am not really aware of any others

3. Basically the smoke, as he said. Smoking marijuana is VERY bad for you, despite what it seems most people believe. Advocacy organizations word their statements very carefully. You'll notice they say "no case of lung cancer has ever been attributed to marijuana alone". Key word being ALONE. Plenty of pot smokers have gotten lung cancer. They just generally ALSO use tobacco in some way or another, or another agent that could be responsible for the cancer, which makes it impossible to blame the pot alone.

However, I believe more recent studies have been conducted on pot-only smokers, which did unsurprisingly find that inhaling lots of toxic and carcinogenic substances (aka smoke) is in fact bad for you.

4. Studies show that marijuana does not increase your risk of cancer. Some studies have actually shown that you have less of a chance than non-smokers, but it's commonly not enough of a difference to be scientifically notable. True, plenty of pot smokers have gotten lung cancer, but most, I'm sure, probably also smoked cigarettes. It's also true that plenty of non-smokers have gotten lung cancer, so either way the case against marijuana isn't a case really at all. With marijuana smoke being so incredibly similar to tobacco smoke, you are in fact inhaling 400 of the same and very similar carcinogens in marijuana smoke. However, because of marijuana's proven cancer treatment effects, these are thought to be negated by cannabinoids. It is also true that while smoking marijuana 4 times as much tar is deposited in your lungs than tobacco smoke, however this is mostly due to the fact that marijuana is virtually never filtered and tobacco is virtually always filtered. Another fact to consider is that you smoke more than 4 times less marijuana typically than you would smoke tobacco. It's also a notable fact that marijuana is a brochodialater, same as what they give kids with asthma to open up their lungs. It has also been proven to not lead to, increase risk for, cause debilitating lung disease like chronic bronchitis or COPD. So, although it isn't oxygen, it's really not as harmful as you would think, especially considering it has no connection to cancer according to modern-day studies. :smoke:

5. #5 bulletcatcher, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
    Marijuana doesn't have much in the way of proven cancer-fighting effects. The tumor-fighting chemicals are amongst the incredibly minor consituents of cannabis. They are interesting for further research/extraction/synthesization, but their activity in cannabis buds/cannabis smoke is not notable. You cannot cure or prevent cancer with pot. The reason why it's available more easily to cancer patients is as a treatment for nausea and other symptoms associated with chemotherapy.

It also does contribute to chronic bronchitis and other conditions. I know plenty of heavy smokers of nothing but marijuana that have a constant hard smoker's cough and infections, and I developed a severe respiratory infection from smoking unfiltered smoke via a waterfall bong daily. My lungs feel infinitely better after having switched to vaping. It's not even arguable that it negatively affects your lungs, especially considering what's in the smoke.

Pot doesn't have "400 times" anything, either... that's a lie. Smoke is pretty much smoke. Tobacco smoke/products are just ESPECIALLY bad because of nitrosamines. Here's an actual recent study that found what I'm saying:

Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study | Reuters

It's really a no-brainer. All the stuff about pot being totally safe and cancer fighting and such is just rhetoric that distracts from the issue that inhaling smoke from ANYTHING is horrible for you.

edit: here's the actual journal publication so you can see it without shitty journalist filter mode:

http://erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/content/short/31/2/280

6. I'll have to disagree with you on the long-term memory thing. From personal experience, marijuana definitely affects short-term memory in the short-term, but has no effect on long-term memory.

7. What I've said above is backed fully by studies using the scientific method, conducted by qualified individuals, and using large sample sizes for accuracy.

Your website is based off of surveys from 79 people in New Zealand and there's not even a link to the study.

I never said anything about 400 times anything, I said marijuana contains about 400 carcinogens very similar to that of tobacco smoke.

It's important to note that marijuana use does cause temporary irritation, so the cough for heavy smokers could be due to that irritation. Also, if they were excessive in their usage then it is possible tar build up may have had a rare negative affect on them, but that would be years and years of smoking many joints a day.

As far as your infections, marijuana has the potential to affect everyone differently, so you may be a rare case where the smoke did have harsh adverse effects on your lungs. Maybe you have a predisposition to lung disease that was made worse? I really have no idea except I have knowledge that marijuana does not in fact cause debilitating lung diseases compared to non-smokers. It's also important to acknowledge non-smokers get lung infections also.

As far as assuming something having to do with medication is a no brainer is a dangerous assumption. Nothing should be assumed unless backed by facts found through scientific research.

And as far as cancer treatment: In a test:
    THC and MA (MA is also a cannabinoid found in marijuana) where applied to in vitro cancerous tumors. After only 72 hours cancer cell growth was inhibited by 68% by THC and 62% by MA.

In other studies cancer tumors have been found to shrink over months and as little as weeks.

So stick that in your vape and vape it!

8. #8 bulletcatcher, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
    I linked to the study in my post.

You have provided 0 links. Am I to take your word that what you say is backed by all these studies? Certainly they should be easy to find if there are so many.

Uh, yeah. Lots of people smoke multiple times daily for years. I'm not sure why this is coming as a surprise to you.

Ok... here, let me put it in big letters for you:

SMOKE IS BAD FOR YOUR LUNGS

This has been confirmed time and time again by science. Cannabis does not produce magical smoke that is somehow exempt from the above.

"in a test"? Are you joking now? I'm pretty sure you're just making up numbers at this point.

edit: the study also involved over 400 people. They were looking at lung cancer cases in ages under 55 in NZ... the 79 number is those WITH lung cancer, which is only part of the study. I can't imagine there are really all that many cases of it for <55yr olds in NZ, and the total number of people in the study gives a 95% confidence interval as stated in the study anyway.

9. Well I guess the intoxication caused by marijuana can be harmful if you have to drive somewhere.

10. According to an article published by Reuters on August 25, 2009, long term pot smokers (those who had smoked for at least 10 to 20 years) were up to 62% less likely to develop head and neck cancers than those who did not smoke pot. The study, featured 434 patients who had a head or neck cancer and 547 people without these cancers in the greater Boston area between 1999 and 2003. After accounting for drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes and other factors that might increase the risk for one to develop a head or neck cancer, scientists found that people who blazed between one and three times every two weeks, on average, were half as likely to develop a head or neck cancer, compared with less frequent pot users. Age also played a factor, as scientists found that those who began blazing between the ages of 15 and 19 were 47% less likely to develop a head or neck cancer, and those who began blazing at age 20 or older had a 61% reduced risk.

11. You sir are by far the most closed minded person who has smoked weed that I have ever experienced.

If you refer to the original post I asked what people have found to be the negative effects of smoking, not to ignorantly try to educate everyone that smoking is super dooper bad. So, I'm not going to go back through my years of research to provide your sorry ass with links. If you would like links you can become an enlightened individual and do the research yourself.

By excessive smoking I mean they must have smoked 20-40 joints AT LEAST, not multiple times daily. If multiple times daily is excessive to you then maybe this isn't the best topic to be discussing since you would obviously have little experience in it's negative effects.

Smoke is generally bad for your lungs, yes. This is a duh, it's obviously not hepa filtered air with a control amount of oxygen, so obviously it's not the best thing for our lungs. All I am telling you is that marijuana smoke is not nearly as harmful as tobacco smoke. Tobacco is SEVERELY harmful to your lungs wrecking all sorts of havoc including lots cancer. It's not typical for every other person exposed to smoke to develop cancer, tobacco smoke is an extreme and not to be considered the norm for all smokes. What I'm trying to let you know is that marijuana smoke hasn't been found to cause cancer or even increase your risk for it in regular amounts of chronic usage, meaning smoking multiple times daily. It is thought that even though marijuana has some similar carcinogens to tobacco smoke that because of it's cancer fighting properties and general cell protection properties that it has been scientifically proven to have, may be the reason there is still no found increase in risk.

I'm not making this stuff up and neither are the many scientists coming out with this information because I've seen the data that goes along with the studies. If you open your eyes and look you will also find the same things. All of the studies I've seen saying that marijuana was remotely close to tobacco smoke where from the 70's and 80's, weren't conducted by scientists or qualified individuals, had a sample size of 10, 20, 50 people that they would find already in hospitals or hand pick some other way, and they didn't use scientific method. Propaganda is what made those 'studies' the accepted norm for marijuana information and has cause a significant taboo effect on the drug. It's like masturbation, no one likes to talk about it, it has a bunch of lies like you'll go blind. It's taboo. Overtime we've opened up more and more about it, but it's still pretty taboo and even though there are studies out there saying it's completely healthy and natural, there are still people out there that believe in the taboo bullshit and think their kids shouldn't.

Does not produce magical smoke....you need to smoke more man because you just made true stoners out there ashamed with that statement haha just kidding.

A test is another way of saying study, I did not mean they conducted one singular test. They conducted many many tests over a period of time collecting enough data until they could make a valid and supported conclusion. Those numbers are not made up, they are backed by the hard evidence of precise measurements and calculations.

As far as your last edit, 400 people is still pretty small, but not considering it's the small Island of NZ. You do realize though that this study is inconclusive for anyone living outside of New Zealand right? If only New Zealanders were sampled then the study may only apply to New Zealanders who smoke marijuana, not marijuana smoke in general. Just to show you how tricky those studies can be though if you don't read them carefully, it said that 79 cancer patients were surveyed. In the high exposure group the risk was increased 6 times or so. Well it also later state that cannabis was responsible for possibly 1 in 20 cancer cases in NZ. Therefore, 1 in 20 of that 79 cancer patients is only 4 patients that could possibly had their cancer caused by cannabis. So really the sample size is still quite minuscule. So that 6 times the risk only applies to 4 people also if all 4 of them were by chance heavily exposed smokers.

I don't mean to tear your study apart and everything, but I'm not just some stoner pulling this stuff out of his ass. I have done the research and plenty of it and therefore know my stuff, so don't challenge me. Especially with studies you pulled out of your ass.

12. It has been shown to affect the parts of the brain that deal with long term memory and patients of very heavy use have reported it at times. There is pretty much unanimous agreement that short-term memory is effected though.

13. :wave:
    You know I just recently looked at a few studies on the NORML website, might still be there, that reported something along the lines that the drivers when put through a simulated obstacle course while high performed the same as far as collision avoidance and the only really noticeable difference they found was a general decrease in speed from just above the speed limit to just below. Haha I didn't look into it much though, just read it so don't hold me to credibility :eek:, but some would consider that improvement.

14. inhaling smoke is always going to be bad for your lungs.. just smoke daily for a few months then take a month off and tell me you dont feel better during your runs or workouts. a vape takes care of that anyway. other than that im not sure.. you can be dangerous while intoxicated i guess, but i dont think that is what you are really asking

15. I don't see why rigorous debate is necessary on this one...

Smoke is not good for your lungs, and there are things that come with smoking weed that are bad as well. Shit goes from your fingers to buds and over time it's just not going to be good for your body. And even with premo buds you are still inhaling plant mater (Vapez hurrah!).
    It's all about knowing how to be conscientious of this... especially if you plan to smoke till you in the ground... hoe.

It pisses me off when people ceaselessly try to convince to me that marijuana isn't going to do anything to their lungs and body when they use it chronically.

16. Probably not going to be affected that much since life is to short, Now if a chronic user has been smoking for 500+ years, Maybe.

If the person really does care so much about it, They can eat it.

17. Rigorous debate isn't necessary on the question it's just the guys was calling my viable info a bunch of made of lies which made me a bit defensive i guess. Weed is something I'm passionate about in that it's the only thing that's ever really helped me. I guess you could say it pisses me off when people ceaselessly try to convince people weed kills brain cells and causes cancer when it doesn't, it's my medicine and it doesn't even come close to doing those things. It also frustrates me when people compare it to alcohol or tobacco because they're so harmful and could never come close to helping me out. Plus, since it's helped me out so much with so many of my issues and all of them, I'd like to spread the word so people can stop killing their body's pill by pill when if they vaped instead of popped pills they would probably live a much healthier and happier life. When I found out about it's affects on cancer I was deeply inspired. I mean imagine people being able to walk away from treatment euphoric and uplifted rather than half dead from chemo. I mean sure if you stuck blended up bud in an IV pumped it into one of your veins you're probably going to die, but that would happen most anything else you decide to do that with. It's less toxic than caffeine though and do you know how much caffeine Americans go through? I mean you could eat something like 10 potatoes or it's something around that and have toxic effects, with marijuana you could eat, vape and smoke enough in the amount of time. You'd suffocate first smoking. haha

18. Cannabis is safe, but SMOKE OF ANY KIND CONTAINS TOXINS such as carbon monoxide, etc. If you used it any other way besides smoking it, then there would be no danger.

It's also important to know every effect it has on your body. For example: cannabis use lowers blood pressure, therefore it might be dangerous to use cannabis while your taking pills to lower blood pressure as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure.

19. #20 bulletcatcher, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
    Uh, you DONT have any viable info. You keep talking about studies and tests and provide no links, while complaining that I don't provide links when I do. I'm not going to bother debating anything with you until you back up something you say.

Like the other guy said, smoke weed heavily for a while, then switch to vaping. Then try to tell me your lungs don't feel better. It's not even debatable, as I've said.

As for "heavy smokers", I do not mean a couple joints a day. And 20-40 is nowhere near necessary. A quarter pack a day of cigarettes, or the equivalent amount of plant matter in weed, smoked every day long-term will fuck your shit up. Tobacco is more likely to give you cancer because of nitrosamines, which are carcinogenic compounds found in tobacco. That's also why you can get cancer from smokeless tobacco.

Yes, tobacco smoke is WORSE. That doesn't mean that weed smoke isn't bad. That's not even an argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.