What are the camping laws in the UK?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Durb, Jul 9, 2012.

1. I mean I want to go hiking and backpacking and things like that in the UK (pretty shitty compared to some places I could go in America, but ah well) somewhere around Scotland or the English countryside somewhere. I was just wondering what the laws were for camping in semi-public places (i.e. the woods etc.) rather than having to plan out the whole route with campsites and things like that.

2. Dude Scotland is freaking epic for camping! Get your ass up here! The laws are very lax; your allowed to camp anywhere as long as its not on private property, not disturbing livestock/farm animals, in a sensible location (ie not in a busy park in the middle of a city), you leave the area as you found it and dispose of any rubbish. Just common sense really min but. Such vast wilderness up here and so many great spots.

Me and a few friends drove way out into the Cairngorm mountains and found an idillac spot beside a great river. Got enlightened on a certain fungi and had the time of our lives, at one with ourselves, each other and our surroundings - a total party and would recommend everyone to try it at least once :). I'll attach a wee photo of the spot. But yeah dude don't limit yourself, camping is one of the most serene and calming things to do imo just really grounds you and gives you time to relax and appreciate, even when doing it sober. :p

Not too sure about the laws in England but fuck that, come north of the border where its so much less populated and your surroundings are so much grander. All the best on your endeavours blade!

ForumRunner_20120710_125551.png

ForumRunner_20120710_125832.png

3. Thanks man, inspired me with those pictures ahaha. I've been to Scotland once before but it wasn't camping, but it was still beautiful. Really thinking about it now, and thanks for clearing the laws up for me, it seems a lot more realistic now :'D

4. No worries at all dude, happy to help. :)