what am i supposed to do...

Discussion in 'General' started by pentigram, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Well here I am at work typing this out on a cell phone so if there are any misspellings please look over them. I just got a call from my wife telling me that my daughter is at home crying and it sounds like she has flym in her throat. Mind you my daughter is three years old so really this is no big deal. I told her that I would pick my daughter up some child allergy medicine after work. She huffs, and says (and I quote) "well, I'm going to get off here since you aren't going to do anything about it! Bye!" I hear the phone slam down in my ear. Okay, why would I need to leave work (call my boss and have him bitch at me even more then he already does), to come home just for my toddler having allergies. I heard her cries through the phone. There was no weezing, or any other signs of importance. I know this question is going to come up so ill go ahead and answer it. I don't smoke anywhere around her. I only smoke outside when she is nowhere around.

2. can I get a tl;dr ?

3. What are you supposed to do about what? The wife? Nothing! She just seemed frustrated. Just be a good father and a husband as best you can be. That's all you can do.

4. Sounds like mom is having a hard day. Do something nice for her, like her fav ice cream or something when you pick up the medicine.

5. This bro.

6. Being a female I know that we overreact. Especially when it comes to children. HOnestly the thing to do is tell her to please calm down and if she thinks it is that bad for her to take the little one to the hospital. You cant drop what you are doing(especially work) to rush home risk getting fired for a cough.

7. #7 FenceWalker, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    Realize that she is there listening to it (the cough or phlegm) and trying to do anything at all to help, getting more and more frustrated and feeling helpless. ;)

Walk in after work with the medicine, empathize with her night and give her a break. After the crisis is over, have a talk about slamming phones down in your ear in a huff. :)

8. Whhaaa?????

9. What? Good advise was given to you from several people.....

10. This cell phone isn't the easiest to surf this site with. The "whaaaaa???" Comment was intended for the person under my first post.

11. Ah, Gotcha!

12. If you'd care to panic too, I can post lots about rapid death from simple viral illness:)
    FamilyZepp

13. Meningiococcemia most likely. Horror stories are the exception, not the rule.

14. Try and tell a hysterical mother that;)

(and the kid actually died of myocarditis, which is even rarer)

15. #15 el dorado dave, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    yeah, i know...i have do just that a lot. And unfortunately there are so many horrible possibilities out there. Don't tell this mother any of those stories. Sounds like she's freaked out enough. This story reads more like a mom who's more frazzled than frightened. Also sounds like Dad responded in a way you would expect him to, short of his daughter needing an ambulance ride.
    If you're home now....tell us how it went. Were you able to smooth out Mom? Your daughter is good?
    A good talk about this will hopefully follow when all is cool. I'd want to know what it was that Mom wanted from you specifically. Hear her out? Offer advice? Just reassure her? Boogie home? What's the plan next time there's a similar concern?
    Hope you've got insurance; hope your insurance offers a nurse advice line ....if mom was really concerned and didn't know where to turn, an RN might be able to give her good information and keep her calm.

16. Well, I got home and everyone was asleep and the house was nice and quiet. (Just the way I like it) I hadn't slept well in a couple of days so I lay down with her, and put on 'how the universe works' on netflix. I grab my pipe, and open the bedroom window; and felt the cool air come in and hit me. I couldn't even hit my pipe. I put it down on my nightstand and it was over before it even began. When I woke up I learnt that she had kept my daughter out of school today, and the subject had been dropped (thank God)