Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What am I doing Wrong???

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Guybrush.Threepwood, Apr 24, 2019.

1. #1 Guybrush.Threepwood, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Hi all,

I have been trying to make cannabis coconut oil, and not having any luck at all. I've been doing small batches so that when I screw up I only ruin a little pot.

I've tried different times / temperatures decarbing in the oven, got a small crock pot, ect.....

Here's my latest failure. Thinking that I'm killing my pot decarbing in the oven I spent the big bucks on a NOVA decarboxylator. (Expensive but I like it).

I decarbed a small bud but kept a small amount to smoke, yep still good!

I use a scientific hot plate, a 250 mL beaker, and a (known accurate) digital thermometer. Once it gets to temperature it doesn't vary by more than 0.1°F. 50mL of coconut oil is about 1/2 inch in my beaker. Heat to 250°, pour in my decarbed, ground up stuff, and let it go for an hour.

The next morning I just scooped some out and ate it. Several hours later NOTHING!

Maybe 250 was too hot. Ditto above with 230°.

The next morning I just scooped some out and ate it. Several hours later NOTHING!

These are just my latest two failures. But these and all that came before all have one thing in common, I just scooped some out and ate it.

So is there something wrong with my process, or does it not work by simply scooping some out and eating it?

Thanks,
    GT

2. You probably cooked it too long at 250 F, but there are a few other possibilities.
    You might have a funny digestive system.
    Maybe you didn't use enough. Every gram of herb used will supply about 150 mg thc, and some of us need that much.

There are a couple of things you might try.

BrassNwood's method:
    (1) After decarb, grind to fine powder
    (2) Mix herb, oil (any reasonable amount), and about the same amount of lecithin as weed, and heat for 20 min @ 220 F
    (3) Freeze for a few hours then thaw
    (4) Heat again for 20 min @ 220 F, then use without straining

The Ardent infusion method:
    (1) Mix decarbed herb powder with oil and lecithin in a small beaker that will fit into Ardent Lift/Nova
    (2) Run Lift/Nova a second time with the mixture
    (3) Use without straining

I'm testing the Ardent method now, and early indications are that it MIGHT work as well as BNW's method. I might go with it even if it's a bit weaker, because it's so easy.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Saying you pour some pot into some oil and scoop out some to eat doesn't tell us much. You need to tell us how much pot you're actually eating so measure how many grams of weed you add to a measured amount of oil and measure how much oil you actually eat. Perhaps you're just not eating enough. Your decarb method should be working just fine, some prefer to decarb the bud before adding to the oil but I decarb mine after it's oil as you're doing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks guys. I did decarb in the NOVA. And how much I actually ate,??? I broke up and decarbed a small bud, then ground it in the grinder. Looked like the amount that would last me the weekend using my one-hitter. I also added a small amount of sunflower lecithin, but only about 1/8 tsp because I only had 50 ml of coconut oil. So I'm looking at this green hockey puck and visualizing there's half, a quarter, an eighth looks like it might be several "one hitters" full (which is actually several good hits).

I still have about half of the 230° batch (also some of the 250° batch). So that might still be good? It may just be that I don't absorb it as well as you guys do? What if I re-melted these and added more Lecithin? Then just ate the whole damned thing!!!

Thanks again
    GT

5. THC is an oil so you should be absorbing it okay. I guess some people may absorb oil easier than others but we should be all about the same as long as our livers, gallbladders, and intestines are normal. It doesn't sound like you have enough to experiment with but if you can, take increasingly larger doses until it works. Take twice the amount that didn't work and go from there. Lecithin may help THC work faster but it shouldn't make it more potent. I think the faster pot is absorbed the better it works (and the sooner it fades) and that's the advantage of lecithin, it separates the oil into smaller globs.

6. I just measured a few small buds and got values around 0.3 grams.
    Such a bud would contain about 45 mg thc for 15% herb.
    If inefficiently incorporated into the oil, you might've only gotten half of that, or around 20 mg.

I've seen estimates that thc from edibles is absorbed at about 10% efficiency.
    Although the thc potency of correctly decarbed herb can't be increased, that 10% number can be increased by some processing.
    Good edible recipes, like BrassNwood's, increase the 10% number.
    Worse edible recipes won't increase it as much.

7. Yeah I am keeping an eye out for their next sale, my bro and I are going to split the cost and just each use it when we need to but this seems to make the whole infusion process so simple and I like the consistency.

When you are infusing with the ardent, are you still doing the freeze cycle after?

8. I've done the freeze for 1 strain, but not for another. It probably doesn't matter.
    I'm still testing the Ardent infusion, and don't have reliable results yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks, definitely will be interested to see how it goes after you get some testing in

10. OK, I think I found what I'm doing wrong. This is from the Eating Not Working for some People thread.

So I read up on this "first pass effect" from other sources. THAT'S what I'm doing wrong.

I try this first thing in the morning long before breakfast. Looks like having it with lunch would be better.

Thanks,
    GT

11. You invested big bucks in the Nova and the lab grade hardware, now spend $15 on a digital scale.
    Measure how much weed your are putting in the oil, then report back with X amount of weed consumed produced these results.
    You are on the right path, but without knowing how much you are ingesting, the answer will be elusive.

1/4 gram will work for most without being too overwhelming. However some need less and others need a whole lot more.

My morning wake and bake breakfast is an egg cooked in butter on a piece of buttered toast.