What am i doing wrong here?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by GrilledCheese101, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Hey all ive been a lurker on roll it up for a decade and figured id try this place out.

Been growing for a pretty long time now so i wouldnt say im a beginner

Area is a retrofitted keg fridge, 12 800 lumen led bulbs, exhausting hot air outside, and circulation fans

Seeds are bags and mephisto autos and my own cross

Soil is promix organic and coco 3:1 ammended with bokashi pro gro and ewc and encapsulated ewc

(After transplanting i realised the coco wasnt rinsed fully and was getting dark runoff for a while, i figure this was half my issue)

I popped a bunch of seedlings in varying strains. All 5 are growing slow as hell. 2 yellowed on the first set, 2 are yellowing on there second set.

These plants are growing alot slower than anything ive grown in the past (the last photo's the biggest 3 are at 14 days) temps have been kinda cold and im getting about 20k lux inside.

The last plant i grew on here was 3 times the size at day 10..

Any ideas as to what i may have missed?

Thanks in advance guys 20181006_023020.jpg 27766beb2a1d8c9b943557f1a9069443.0.jpg 7ddcda65f52ebf52e4284cee887f645c.0.jpg 6eee5c157cdf2b62473676dd668ecd6e.0.jpg IMG_20181013_152608_970.jpg IMG_20181016_222928_273.jpg 20181016_192642.jpg 20181016_192639.jpg 20181016_192635.jpg 20181016_192630.jpg 20181016_192625.jpg

Sent from my LG-H820 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Coco needs watering daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Its only 1 part coco , 3 parts promix organik

4. Media looks really dry and more coco than peat. Where are the lights? With lighting that low power, they really should be right on top of the plants. I’d say address those two issues and see what happens.

5. Cheap coco loaded with salt maybe? Which ProMix did you use? They're all certified organic I believe. I have the HP, Veg&Herb and their potting soil mix all with organic certification on the bags/bales.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nah its just the top layer they arent drinking very fast, and the lights are about 18 inches from the plants and im getting about 4-500 par wich in theory should be plenty for seedlings.

7. Precisely what I'm thinking, i used promix organik. Never had a problem with it or the lights, i think ive boiled it down to the salty shity coco brick or the abundance of ewc. They arent dieing, they just really suck right now

8. The lights are led bulbs, they arent the issue ive started 3 years worth of plants under these bulbs. And have never gotten under 1gpw with them indoors.

9. I'm starting to think it's salt. Sodium and chlorine and they seem to be suffering the effects of chlorine maybe. Not sure if you'd call those yellow leaves bronze.

Chlorine.jpg

The sodium is not good either if it is salt.

Sodium is on the Podium

Sodium (Na), while abundant in the earth’s crust in minerals and salts, is never found in its pure state since it is a highly reactive alkali metal. In many of its compound forms, especially common rock salt which is sodium-chloride (NaCl) or the mineral halite, sodium salts are highly water soluble. Oceans are very salty due to accumulating dissolved minerals over millions of years.

One of the most visible general stress indicators of cannabis is its degree of turgidity. Wilting or flaccid plants may be signaling water deprivation, heat stress issues or, less commonly, a sodium (or potassium) problem which causes cells to lose water through osmosis. Some plants can utilize sodium ions where potassium ions would normally be required, such as in regulating the action of stomata and guard cells. While sodium is vital to life processes, excess sodium salts in the environment can be desiccating and deadly to plants. Calcium, magnesium and potassium can become locked up by excess Sodium. While not well understood, it is thought that sodium salts are taken up by the roots into the plant passively, similarly to potassium. Sodium salt poisoning at the cellular level inhibits enzyme action leading to chlorotic symptoms and die-back. Toxic salt build-up is not pretty, you’ll notice crusty deposits at the top layer of your growing medium and a rapid necrosis of cannabis foliage. Flush with one to two times the volume affected.

Coastal soils might have naturally high salt content due to tidal and wind borne ocean salt deposition. Massive deposits of salts are found in many locations worldwide resulting from the evaporation of ancient seas. Arid lands can build up high salinity as scarce rainfall fails to rinse away leached minerals. Intensely irrigated fields eventually become non-arable over time as applications of chemical fertilizers build up and are not sufficiently flushed. The over-use of animal manures as fertilizer can also result in toxic build-up of salinity in the soil. Also be aware that water softening devices add salt while reducing other minerals, so it’s best to avoid treating your irrigation source this way.

A great deal of food crop research has been devoted to increasing soil salinity tolerance, both to expand potential farmable acreage and to mitigate polluting effects of soil mismanagement. Curiously, salt tolerant plants have also been shown to resist other abiotic threats, including drought and temperature extremes of cold or heat. Some plants have evolved mechanisms to combat toxic build-ups of salinity by collection and extrusion, compartmentalizing excessive salts in vacuoles, or storing the salt in lower, older leaves. Adequate levels of calcium are required for such plants to maintain these unique salt defenses.

Rescheduling of cannabis could lead to much needed university level research into salt tolerance and improved strain characteristics, but so long as our favorite plant is reviled as a Schedule 1 substance by the federal government, we will have to rely on the anecdotal observations of our horticultural peers on the front lines of the grow industry as well as extrapolating the results of research on proxy plant models. As usual, I turn to the tomato industry for additional insight. The tomato, like cannabis, is sensitive to soil salinity. Tomatoes are considered a valuable cash crop, therefore justifying tax-supported research. Sub-surface drip irrigation techniques have been shown to increase yield in the western San Joaquin Valley where the fine textured soil is adversely affected by shallow salty groundwater. Transgenic experimentation has produced strains of tomato with far greater salinity tolerance than their natural born cousins.

The soil salinity tolerance of various strains of industrial hemp, an obviously superior cannabis proxy to the tomato, has been studied in many countries, especially China. Unsurprisingly, research indicated that high salinity has negative effects on seed germination and seedling growth, but that small amounts of salts are essential for higher biomass.

Any advice and opinions about the cultivation of Cannabis offered by Bruce N. Goren are his own and do not represent the University of California or the Master Gardener Program.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Im on a well system so unless the coco had chlorine im gonna have to doubt thats my issue, but ive read alot of issues about salty coco. I guess im just leaning more towards the sodium end of things, so what? just keep flushing? Thanks labrat

• Like Like x 1
  11. Regular salt is sodium chloride so it's a 2 in 1 deal. Do you know the ppm of your well water or what's in it? I tried coco from a cheap brick about 17 years ago. Had no idea that I was supposed to flush it and had the same kind of problems so have stuck with peat-based soilless since and now mostly use HP right out of the bale. Loaded with perlite and two types of lime so nothing else needed with hydro nutes.

The only way to get it out is to flush it well and in the last wash use 1/4 - 1/2 strength nutes so it's not going to starve while you wait for it to dry out before feeding.

That's what I would do in a case like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for all your help you few posts are greater than much of what i can find on riu

• Like Like x 1
  13. It's hard finding stuff as a lot is buried in an unrelated thread somewhere and then doesn't really show up in a search. Sometimes you're not even sure what you should be asking about so have to hunt all over. The hours I'll never get back! :)

• Like Like x 1