Were to put seed in clay pebbles

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by wardy941, Sep 13, 2011.

1. i have a 6" net pot and i am using clay pebbles,

i have the seeds in paper towels waiting to germinate

when the sed cracks do i have to plant soil first to grow a bit then transplant to net pot or can the cracked seed go straight into the clay pebbles in the net pot

if so how full the water? as below pot the seed would have no water, do i fill up just below seed or water the pebbles uintill the roots hit the water?

2. I'm curious about the same thing Im ready to go Hydro but should I plant the seed in Rockwool first then into clay balls , I don't know but I could use some advice as well. My partner says u can grow in soil then rinse off the soil once the roots grow then place the roots in the clay balls

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I start my seeds in rockwool then place that in the hydroton.... I don't think I would start them in dirt. seems like it would be to easy to damage the roots trying to get the dirt off...;)

4. could they be placed directly into pebbles or would it not grow or drop thouigh?

5. been in paper towels now 24 hours and nothing:S

i think they may f been a lil wet so i let them dry a little and i had put the seed in a towel and folded over a few times

is that why they wont crack

i have now put it on towlel and folded once - is that how it should be done?

6. #6 booyaa, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    Just put them in a moist paper towel fold it over make sure it's moist/wet (love saying moist). I personally keep them in a ziplock bag, unzipped. Keep between 75 - 85. If they are viable seeds, you should see some action in several days.

You could try to soak them in kelp or water for 24 hours first that will help to get the water inside to activate the hormones.

7. I think it ay fall threw but you should use RR pligs or Rockwool I put my clones direct into the Hydroton.

8. all have cracked now and 2 with root showing

9. How do i use rockwool do i just drop the seeds in

10. Soak in phed water for a while then drod seed it the hole I would go with RR plugs there safer 2 me.

11. I started mine in Jiffy pellets, when the sprout was about an inch tall, I cut the side of the jiffy pellet netting and gently rinsed in the sink under slow running water, removing all dirt. I had nothing but a slight very delicate root in my hand and then planted into my net pot clay pellets. I had the reservoir water about half the way up the net pot to ensure new roots will get water. Once the roots started showing out of the bottom of the net pot, I dropped my reservoir water to just an inch below bottom of net pot and the plant is going great.

12. So many ways to me the easiest has to be either rock wool or rapid rooters either way works well

tho I prefer rapid rooters as I just like watching them swell

good luck

13. Rapid Rooters rock. I've used Jiffy pellets, Rock wool, and Rapid Rooters and found I like them best.

Seeds can suck. They are temperamental, and can be a source for lots of anguish. Heres what I do to curb some of the bad stuff

First, I mark the seeds shell with sandpaper. I don't sand the seed itself, I lined a very small box with very coarse grip tape. I add the seeds to the box and shake it for a few minutes. Make sure you have a box with no holes. A matchbox will work but you need to make sure they don't slip out.

I then disinfect the seeds with peroxide. It doesn't take a while lot. A couple tablespoons in a coffee mug of water.

I then change out the water In the mug and soak the seeds in fresh water for a full day to a day and a half.

Once a tap root shows I place them in rooters. I use a heat pad sometimes, but beware they have hot spots and can turn your seeds into bird food.

Anyway. Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HaHaHa Some people try to make all this sound like rocket science, and it's really pretty simple. I've been growing for years and rarely ever had a problem, unless I was experimenting. Of course you should have a little plant knowledge to start with, but nothing magical about any of it.

15. Riding my favorite Sativa I spent many hours making a jar with plastic lid
    outta of sand paper for the same reason
    Scarification
    great if you germ many seeds tho I no longer use the peroxide prefer to soak in Aloe vera for the same reason

16. Interesting.

I use the peroxide because it will kill any pathogens on the surface of a seed. Some may have seen a "halo" around a seed as it sits in water. Well that's what H2O2 gets rid of.

hydro peroxide can be a blessing in hydro, but a little too much will roast your roots. Especially if using the stuff over 30% concentrated. In world War 2 the Germans used pure peroxide as an oxidizer for their jet air planes. Fueling the planes was far more dangerous than flying them. If you do use the high test peroxide please wear gloves and eye protection.

There's a million ways to germinate a seed. But there's another million ways something as simple as creating a seedling can go wrong. I like to decrease those odds. A simple roughing up the surface to help the liquid get into a shell sounds silly, but it lessens the chance for failure. As does a simple disinfection.

Maybe someday I'll try the aloe