Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Well, I got caught.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by DoctorPocket, Sep 9, 2012.

1. I'm 19 and I live in New Jersey. Last night I was pulled over for making an illegal left turn at a light. After asking for my information, the cop had me get out of my car and took me aside to talk to me. He said he smelled weed in the car, but that he was "an easygoing guy" and that things would be much easier if I just admitted that I had weed. I did, and handed it over to him, while also trying to explain my life situation and why I smoke weed (basically that I'm in school fulltime and working, so I get stressed out and this is how I cope).

I then consented to a search of my car, which turned up nothing. I was taken to the station and processed - fingerprints, mugshot, etc. At the time when I was taken out of the car, the cop explained to me that since I was being cooperative and it was my first offense, I could possibly get "conditional release," which he described as being on probation for a year and being randomly drug tested. I was also told my fine would likely be $800.

He also told me that, due to my cooperation (I was polite and cooperative from beginning to end, even mutually laughing and joking with the cops), that he would not charge me with something else, I forget now, but what would have resulted in a 2 year suspension of my license. This would have put me out of a job, as I drive delivery for a living.

All told, I ended up being charged with possession under 50 grams and possession of paraphernalia. I have to appear at court on October 10th. What can I expect? Will I need some kind of lawyer? Will I have to appear before a judge, or do I just meet one-on-one with someone about it? I have/will not tell my parents or get them involved in any way, so my only real option would be a public defender.

I remember the first time my older brother got caught with weed, the whole family went down to the court, he met with some woman in an office and was basically told he could walk. My memory's fuzzy, but he may have also been under 18 at the time. Like I said, this is my first offense, and I have a completely clean slate prior to this - but will it stay on any sort of public record, like something a future employer could access?

Really, all I want to do is pay my fine and put this behind me forever. Thanks so much in advance for any info you guys can provide.

2. Why the fuck would you cooperate with them , they will just fuck you in the ass like they did. I swear people are so stupid. Deny deny deny

3. #3 Crispy21, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
    Damn as someone a lil older than you also in NJ i know who bad these fucking cops are and how they harrass the shit out of us. First you shouldnt have given it to him, ARE YOU CRAZY?! You shoulnt have consented to a search also thats rule number one. My friend got was in the same predicament. He had a dub and got carged with posession. With court costs and all it was around $2200. He also had a year of probation which meant NO smoking. Also he got suspended license for 6 months and its on his record. He tried to get a few jobs and got turned down everytime because of the record. It was his first offense of any kind. And he was 19 when it happened. He also had an awesome attorney and was facing 6 months in jail. Im a law student in jersey so i know all this. They dropped the jail time but a public defender may not get you that. If you have $$ get a lawyer. I cant beleve you gave him the weed your insane. The cop was probably like "wow someone actually gave it up." you wooda probably been good if you said no and didnt consent to a search.

Sorry to hear man, thats why i NEVER EVER EVER EVER have weed in my car EVER. I live by this rule.

4. dam.sorry bro.that sucks. if its a felony it will show up idk about misdemeanors tho. be prepared to not be smoking for a year tho.i have friends that got caught and were randomly tested for a year and had to go to classes and then some that just had to go to a few classes.depends on youre state and how much you had

5. #5 wtfjusthappened, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
    You shouldn't have admitted to Shit.

The cop told you he was easy going, so you'd admit to the weed, so he could fuck you with the long dick of the law.

Should have never admitted Shit, or consented to a search. You would have walked away clean, and he would have walked away a pissed off cop. They can't search without consent man. More than likely he didn't even smell weed, he just suspected it.

You done got fucked man.

6. smell is probable cause and he doesnt even really have to smell it to say he does. he would have gotten searched anyway most likely

7. this in a nutshell. got played man. hard. make them bring the dogs. never admit shit.

8. if he smelled bud then youre already screwed.cops dont need to bring dogs if theres probable cause and they can do whatever they want

9. I did this and ended up with $1000 in fines for having paraphernalia. I even lied and denied the whole time, even when he found the pieces. I would have much rather just given him the pipes than to had to sit on the side of the road for over an hour.

10. If u were high when it happened u cant get a DUI but u can get a DWI

at least here in Ohio thats how it works

11. isnt that the same thing?:smoke:

12. this thread is why everyone should move to a medical state:smoke: youre life can be fucked just for having a little bud.

13. You dug your own grave...

Pay the fine, and move on

14. people, he did the right thing. Never ever lie to police. If they catch you lying you have then ruined ANY chance of getting off.

What you are doing is ILLEGAL the police must so their job.

15. In order to search they need a Warrant AND/OR A warrant exception. None of which you gave them

16. you dont need a warrant with probable cause, which he had

17. Possession/paraphernalia is usually just a fine depending on where you live
    I don't know about NJ but here in NE if you get caught with weed < an oz. and a piece it will usually just come out as a $300 fine or so.
    I got busted with poss./paraph. when I was still a minor, like 16, and all I had to do was enroll in a 4 month diversion program

18. No
    Driving Under the Influence = alcohol only

Driving While Intoxicated = other shit

IN OHIO IDK about other places

19. That's not true. If the police smelt weed, there's his probable cause.

20. After I handed over the weed, another cop patted me down and had me empty my pockets. The weed was in my jacket pocket, not my car. Even if I had denied anything, they still would have found the weed, and I would have gotten in unimaginably worse trouble. I'm sorry I'm not as "420 fuck da police" as some of you guys are. I knew I was fucked either way, and it seemed like the easiest path to take.